eBay prices … again

#1 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:15 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Who can afford stuff like this?

Werbung: https://www.ebay.com/itm/285492915543?ha...w1igscYflLyskBM

Guess I am not getting much new films if these prices goes up up and away

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

RE: eBay prices … again

#2 by Tom Photiou , Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:03 pm

To have a full theatrical print of this title with colours still holding up as well as this one is indeed very rare. I didn't see the start price but what an end price. I think this may be the highest price I've seen a film go for. Someone clearly wanted this title and money was no object. Well done to the seller, if anyone wants to pay that for my 8mm print I'll sell
It does look like quite a good print.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Vidar Olavesen

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:30 pm

I think this is a sign of the times,no longer is this a hobby for everyone who back in the day could afford to buy films.l understand why people buy and watch film,especially when you can buy that same film on disc,it’s just not the same as said before there is something about film.
But the prices of film have gone up considerably,making it an unreachable hobby for some which I think is a shame.You see comments like”l am new to this hobby”do they realise what this new hobby could cost them,and it’s not just the films,projectors are not cheap to run and maintain.
Still as I say a sign of the times ,money for some seems no object perhaps buy now pay later who knows how far the piece of plastic will extend.
Good luck to the sellers if they can obtain theses high prices,just be careful the bottom doesn’t fall out of “the hobby “
P.S. I would not spend that money on Texas C.M. I don’t like the film😁

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#4 by Mark Mander , Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:47 pm

The seller did well with this one, as long as the buyers happy then its a win win, personally I think it's pure madness paying such a large sum for a film but I've been called mad for paying £150 for a film so it's all relevant, Mark

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#5 by Paul Browning , Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:35 pm

Not helped by one or two individuals on the other channel pointing the whole world at sales of desirable films and seeing the end price go into the universe and beyond.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Gwyn Morgan and Can Sanalan
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#6 by Tom Photiou , Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:27 am

I couldn't agree more Paul, I think those threads dont help collectors one bit, it just attracts the attention of buyers who are only members on there now to follow those threads and be pointed to desirable titles. As always though, it' defended. The idea was ok but to create dedicated threads, not so good. You may it sounds selfish but if you have an eye on a title and some dork points it out to the world what will happen?

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Can Sanalan

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#7 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:52 am

Couldn’t agree more Paul/ Tom that thread is a nightmare.Obviously someone with time on there hands and nothing better to do!!!
Suns out have a nice day😃👍

Paul Browning likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#8 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:12 pm

I'm not sure it's a state secret that films are available for sale on eBay!

I don't need forums to tell me that a film I want is for sale on eBay -- I set up saved searches and check daily. I check all 8mm and Super 8 films for sale everyday. I used to do it for 16mm, but there is far too much to go through every day. The only 16mm titles that show up in my searches are for particular actors I'm looking for, like Laurel and Hardy. On the phone app for eBay, it just shows you new listings since you last checked, and then it resets to show everything until there is a new listing in your search.

Also, we have no idea who is bidding. That kind of price is nothing if you are a super rich person, and you just want a print of something that is elusive.
But -- it does take at least 2 people who really want something for the price to skyrocket.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 11.14.2023 | Top

#9 by Tom Photiou , Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:19 pm

It's not so much what they fetch, it's the clowns who start films with prices like 999 or put up a 400ft film starting at hundreds.
For whatever reason, we are now seeing people of long standing in the hobby list 16mm films starting at 600 or even a grand, many are good titles, a few do sell, but where the hell do they get off listing the same film over and over again without learning that people looking in are not as stupid as they think, or should i say, not as stupid as they are thinking people will start bidding at those prices.
I believe many films will sell way above expectations if the start price is reasonable.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#10 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:38 pm

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #9
It's not so much what they fetch, it's the clowns who start films with prices like 999 or put up a 400ft film starting at hundreds.
For whatever reason, we are now seeing people of long standing in the hobby list 16mm films starting at 600 or even a grand, many are good titles, a few do sell, but where the hell do they get off listing the same film over and over again without learning that people looking in are not as stupid as they think, or should i say, not as stupid as they are thinking people will start bidding at those prices.
I believe many films will sell way above expectations if the start price is reasonable.

Tell me about it!

That being said, I've picked up a few prints recently priced with a BIN way below it's worth. I also missed out on, only by a few by seconds, prints that someone else beat me to, including a full-length Super 8 print of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, for less than $100. All from the same seller, who told me he bought out a whole storage unit someone had left. I sat on eBay as he was listing things, and apparently one other buyer did the same thing -- the one who got SINGIN'!

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 11.14.2023 | Top

#11 by Tom Photiou , Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:42 pm

Ebay itself isn't the problem, I have also bought several good films at very good prices myself over the years, the problem is the greed that appears to be setting in with some of the sellers, some who should know better.
Money is the route to all evil my Gran use to say. Theres definatly a lot truth in that.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#12 by Can Sanalan , Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:58 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Have you seen the price this print of The Exorcist went for?!

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355085203650

I'm really curious to know are these films being bought to be stored and archived because there is no way I'd be running a print that cost that much.
If it's for investment purposes then good luck getting your money back on it. There's probably a few buyers who can spend that kind of money for a film.

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Can Sanalan  
Can Sanalan
Date registered 01.25.2018
home: London

#13 by Thomas Peters , Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:18 pm

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #11
Ebay itself isn't the problem, I have also bought several good films at very good prices myself over the years, the problem is the greed that appears to be setting in with some of the sellers, some who should know better.
Money is the route to all evil my Gran use to say. Theres definatly a lot truth in that.

I think some sellers are just not in a rush to sell. I've seen things listed for YEARS by the same seller, and it still doesn't sell.

Now just yesterday, I saw a new listing for a film that I didn't have -- was only listed for about $12 -- I offered $7, and it was auto-accepted. I figured I'd roll the dice on the offer -- and it worked. I look to see how much other stuff the seller has for sale -- if it's thousands, and it's the only film listed -- they almost always accept your offer -- even if it is the first day it is listed. The seller probalby thought "I've found a sucker willing to pay $7 for an antiquated old reel of 8mm film!"

Now this was a rare Charley Chase silent, co-starring Oliver Hardy, called ALL IS FAIR abridged from the real title, which was MARRIED TO ORDER, that I never knew was available in 8mm. I've never seen it listed before in all my years of collecting! Now it is from Atlas, so the quality will be so-so, but I've bought some Atlas films where the quality was better than some things from Niles. Luckily, my LAUREL OR HARDY book listed the alternate titles, so I knew it wasn't an abridgement of one I already had.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 11.16.2023 | Top

Film show with grandson
[ASK] Isco Red Ultra Star 1.57in F=40mm anamorphic lens

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor