Indiana Jones and the last crusade scope feature

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:42 am

I was wondering what others may think regarding the colours on a print of this title which has come up for sale. The reason why I mention this title is because there is a silent print (not stripped for sound), for sale on another platform for a grand!!

The images put up look very clear and sharp, but it is a good example of the colours being wrong on a modern super 8 print. Several other collectors from the past have also mentioned in months gone by, how many of the later prints from Germany have a yellow shift to them and the screenshots do show this quite well i think, if you have watched this film in the cinema, on broadcast TV, DVD or blu ray you will see deep blue skies, but in the 8mm print (as I've seen many times lately) the sky in just about every shot is a creamy light yellow colour, the beige of the desert is almost blending in with the sky.
I dont understand why the German labs have a problem with this because the Italians who make the 16mm footage never have this problem, colours are always spot on and very vivid. I'm assuming this may have been from a certain batch and from reading the article it isn't a polyester print so perhaps that may be the issue?
A great title to have but I would want it to look right, and for a grand, i'd want sound, most collectors dont have pulse sync.
Stripping and recording would add many hundreds more i believe.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 10.04.2023 | Top

RE: Indiana Jones and the last crusade scope feature

#2 by Graham Sinden , Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:31 pm

Hi Tom,

The print is Polyester as stated by the seller in the comments. In fact I asked the seller several weeks ago and he told me in a PM it was Poly.

As for the colours this is most probably due to camera settings not being correct as taking landscapes is very difficult I find and I myself struggle to get good screenshots as I only use my phone camera which is a budget phone and the camera is not very good anyway, certainly not like an IPhone photo. The slight yellow shift could also be to due with the bulb he was using at the time and if the room was not dark enough. Most screenshots I see today are never as good as the projected film and should only be taken as a guide. I'm sure this is a stunning print. A shame it does not have a soundtrack but for those that do pulse sync you can get far better sound in fact cinema quality sound than what can be read from the magnetic stripes .

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#3 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:01 pm

Thats a fair call Graham regarding the colours, it just doesn't look right on those shots and I am aware some releases had a slightly yellow shift to them.
I'm sure the pulse sound is tops but how many collectors use them though I'm sure it will go to a good home.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#4 by Paul Browning , Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:25 pm

What puzzled me about this print was that ricky has a top end gs 1200 xenon, now i thought the light from this xenon lamp suppose to enhance the blue colours in the film because of the whiter light output from the xenon gas, if thats the case then, the lamp appears to bleached out the blue sky in some shots turning it yellow ??. I suppose you could say the camera's at fault, and that a fair comment i guess, but i was offered a captain america print, and that had the same look about it ?. i ' don't know what projector was used for the pictures taken,but for some reason its doing something odd when these new prints are photographed, coincidence, maybe ?

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

A new podcast episode about boxes and box art
Bought two films at the club

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor