The Derann 1990 films that didn't make it

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:55 pm

Or did they??

I was browsing through some old catalouges today, I'm sure others have seen these but this particular catalogue from 1990 was quite a thick edition and promised some very good titles that were to be released, "subject to availability". as far as i know, the ones I'm talking about never made it onto super 8 but I do wonder if there are any prints out there, perhaps a check print that got out, or ,maybe there was a very short run of perhaps one or two that got out.

Papillon, 5x600ft scope
Oliver 5x600 scope
Thunderbirds are go 1x600 scope
The Young Ones 4x600 scope
Summer Holiday 3x600 scope
Frankenstein must be destroyed 3x600

It may be that I have missed these over the years but does anyone know if any of these titles made it?

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: The Derann 1990 films that didn't make it

#2 by Graham Sinden , Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:39 pm

At least one copy of Oliver exists as that was bought at a BFCC a long time ago. I remember I think it was Tony Churcher that mentioned it in his column in ACE magazine at the time.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:14 pm

I wonder if that may have been a check print Graham. If its on low fade it would be a good one to have.
I wonder what made Derann advertise these before the deal was done, a daft move in my mind.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Greg Perry , Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:11 pm

Tom,
This is a very interesting topic. In working with Eivind on the Super 8 Database, we did run into films that were advertised but never printed or sold. It may have been a case of Derann or others anticipating a subsequent deal to release a title that never was approved---or perhaps source material ended up being unusable? I believe there was another time when one of the studio rights representatives got upset and pulled the plug on some future titles.

Perhaps some others here can comment on specific titles and what happened to derail any (or just a few) prints being released. It seems like CE3K was one that had a very limited print run...?

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:48 pm

Ive heard many versions regarding CEO3K, as i understand it, Derann released it before Columbia gave their approval so they withdrew the rights from Derann.
Of all the titles i listed here, the one i would i would really liked to have seen is Thunderbirds are go. Im sure it would have been a very good seller.
Unfortunatly,as far as i am aware, the only Thunderbird films on 8mm are the arrow film 50ft silents.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#6 by Graham Sinden , Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:14 pm

Yeah that print of Oliver could well have been a check print and as I remember Tony Churcher stated it did have some issues. I assume Derek let it go as maybe he couldn't see any point in keeping it.

BTW Tom I'm sure you know that some Thunderbird Ad's made it onto low fade.

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

WHATS HAPPENED TO PHIL MURAT ?
Star Wars digest from Dave Films

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor