Advice on 8mm/super8 films.

#1 by Guy Harvey , Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:54 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum and know very little about films. I am looking for some advice about some old films I have. I am hoping to sell them but have no idea about their value. Is their a dealer who can advise please? Thanks in advance, Guy

Guy Harvey  
Guy Harvey
Date registered 03.11.2023
ThankYou 1

RE: Advice on 8mm/super8 films.

#2 by Thomas Peters , Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:06 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Welcome!

What do you have?

In general:

1. They are worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
2. Don't sell to a dealer -- you'll be lucky to get half their value.
3. Sell them individually, not as a lot. People who buy lots either do it to flip or because they actually want a portion of what is in the lot. Because of those 2 reasons, they will not pay what the sum of the real values of each film are.
4. Check the "sold" items on eBay. Check the prices your titles sold for. Pay attention to the condition, the gauge, sound or silent, color or b&w, and length of the reels. E.g., you may have a Standard 8mm 200 foot b&w silent edition of a 16mm full-length, color and sound film. Or vice versa.
5. Most titles are very, very common. A small % are not. Don't expect to create a retirement fund from the proceeds. If you have some hard-to-find titles, you can perhaps plan on a night out to a really nice restaurant.
6. See #1.

Tell us what you've got.
:)

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Gwyn Morgan
Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 03.13.2023 | Top

#3 by Guy Harvey , Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:19 pm

Thanks very much for the reply. I will get them out and post more details tomorrow. There is a Zorrow, a Batman and Superboy animation, and one labelled ‘Western’. But should be able to post more tomorrow.

Thomas Peters sais Thank You!
Guy Harvey  
Guy Harvey
ThankYou 1

#4 by Thomas Peters , Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:19 am

Quote: Guy Harvey wrote in post #3
Thanks very much for the reply. I will get them out and post more details tomorrow. There is a Zorrow, a Batman and Superboy animation, and one labelled ‘Western’. But should be able to post more tomorrow.

The Batman serial? All the chapters of the 1949 serial were released in Super 8 sound. These are not that common, but are not worth their weight in gold, either. If you had a complete set, that would be both rare and highly valued. Dinner at the Ritz with your S.O., perhaps.

An extremely edited silent version of the 1943 serial was issued in 6 parts on 200 foot reels. These are fairly common.

Not sure if you meant Batman was animated -- I'm not sure which Batman cartoons these would be. I'm guessing they're silent. I'd hazard a guess that it would be from "The Adventures Of Batman – 1968-1969", or perhaps "The New Adventures Of Batman – 1977".

Zorro -- probably a 200 foot b&w silent version from Disney. Ken films might have released a 200 foot silent version of the 1940 one with Tyrone Power, but I'm not sure. Also, could be the Douglas Fairbanks silent version, either full-length or edited.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 03.14.2023 | Top

#5 by Guy Harvey , Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:28 pm

That’s fascinating. Thanks so much. The Batman is combined with Superboy. 15 min film; 7 or 8 min each I guess. I do have the episode title if I can find it.
That’s really helpful. Didn’t want to give away anything super valuable.

BTW the lot came with an Apollo moon walk film, a Jaques Cousteau, and a Laurel and Hardy all of which I sold many years ago. Not for very much.

Guy Harvey  
Guy Harvey
ThankYou 1

#6 by Thomas Peters , Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:46 am

OK let us know exactly what you have. I assume you don't have a projector or rewinds? If not, there is no reliable way to check condition. If the leader is fully intact, though, with no splices or sprocket damage, then that is a good sign.

So are these Standard 8mm or Super 8? Do they have magnetic stripes for sound?

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

March to April Independent 8 updated lists now online
Latest Royal Mail update on International parcels

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 3
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor