A New Read.

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:44 pm

Bought this book the other day,may be of interest to ex cinema projectionist.
Quite a read not for the faint hearted covers the history of the projectionist up to 2022.Gives opinions for and against the digitisation of projection booths and the loss of so many qualified people in a short space of time,and very few people noticed.

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Greg Perry and Eivind Mork

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

RE: A New Read.

#2 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:25 pm

"Gives opinions for and against the digitisation of projection booths and the loss of so many qualified people in a short space of time, and very few people noticed."

Gwyn, that looks a good read, and that quote above is quite a worry. It's similar in the motor trade with the electrification of cars. The media make's it look like everyone is going electric when that isn't the case, it's being forced on people. In France where they pushed it through (like this countries doing), they have massive fields of car batteries ,(each one two thirds the length of a car and supplied in crates not much smaller than coffin. They have no idea what to do with them so they just fill fields up with them. In the car trade parts departments will be virtually non existent and mechanics will become electrical technician's. You only have to look at the amount of electric cars that are up for sale withing a year of ownership. The dont like to put out figures for how many people go back to petrol or diesel.

In your trade i can see exactly what you mean by qualified people were wiped out in a short time. It is annoying that it never gets mentioned. Digital projection more or less came into cinemas in a big short swoop.
Nothing more than watching a big TV screen, may as well do it at home, at least you dont get the dull heads lighting the place up with their mobile phones.

Martin Dew likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Martin Dew , Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:56 am

Excellent points, Tom.

Tom Photiou and Gwyn Morgan say Thank You!

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#4 by Maurice Leakey , Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:11 pm

Gwyn
Many thanks for drawing attention to this book.
I always thought that projectionists were an unknown body as far as audiences were concerned.
Fantastic that someone should go to the trouble of writing this book, and thanks to the publisher for what might not be a big seller.
As a former projectionist for fifty years I have just had to order a copy.
Thanks again.

Tom Photiou likes this
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 01.16.2023 | Top

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:46 pm

Maurice, I think you will find the book interesting,it is quite a read as quoted on the cover “the book focuses attention on what has been happening behind film spectators heads for the past 130 years,and attempts to write the history of cinema in Britain from the perspective of its habitually overlooked and undervalued projectionist,beginning in the silent era and continuing to present day.”
I’m sure you could have written same.

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:53 pm

Tom,
It’s not just the motor trade,cinemas,,it’s everywhere with bank’s closing,and on line shopping the computer is in control the personal touch is gone all the companies worry about is making a fast buck.
At one time the customer was always right,now you are lucky if you can find anyone in any company to talk to.
Anyway the book is nice read of times now gone all apparently in the name of progress.

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#7 by Maurice Leakey , Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:56 pm

The two projectionists at the Bristol Odeon got the sack when digital projection arrived.
All wiring from the three NEC projectors was taken to the Manager's office so that he could do the digital programming.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

Last edited 01.16.2023 | Top

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:45 am

Maurice,
You don't even need the cables now,it all can be done remotely over the internet,one person controls all the screens even from home.
All personal touch gone.I know a technician who looks after a number of cinemas down here ,any problems sorts out on his phone screen not really cinema as we know it.

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#9 by Maurice Leakey , Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:56 am

I am glad that my last days were still with film.
I was at the Odeon Weston-super-Mare with four screens., using Cinemeccanica Victoria 4s and 8s, with Philips and Christie platters.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

#10 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:10 pm

My last 35mm was a Cinemeccanica 5,with the large 5000m reels below the lamp house.The machine ran along side the digital projector till the cinema moved and the 35mm was scrapped.I retired.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#11 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:23 pm

Gwyn, The only time i was able to visit a projection room before seeing yours at the Arts cinema was when my school mates Father was the Manager of the Drake cinemas here in Plymouth. I remember that little tour very well and that was before the Drake became a three screen theatre. I also had a similar look behind the scenes when he worked for Rank and was given the Odeon Exeter, at that time Shampoo was the big film although i was well under age to be allowed to see that title.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#12 by Maurice Leakey , Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:44 pm

I received my book and was very disappointed with it. I couldn't understand to whom it was directed.

1) Ex projectionists?
2) Those interested in how films got onto the screen?

1) Nothing of interest. Obviously neither author appears to have had any projection knowledge. Far too many ex projectionists with overlapping memories.
2) They will not learn much after sifting all through the comments.

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
ThankYou 221

#13 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:23 pm

Certainly can’t disagree with you Maurice in fact I am still trying to understand it all,my only thought is that the authors have at least got something into print about cinema projectionists.
It certainly won’t make the best seller list.

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#14 by Thomas Peters , Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:22 pm

I haven't been to a cinema in 11 years.
Reasons:
1. A big part of the movie-going experience, for me, was seeing a 35mm print projected.
2. There really hasn't been much I wanted to see.
3. I know that whatever I want to see will be available streaming within a few months. Some things have streamed while in the theater!
4. If I have to watch digital, I prefer it at home on my TV.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

A new podcast episode with an interview with Simon McConway about Blackpool
Badges

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor