Why do Pro Projectionists not like auto thread?

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:39 pm

I was reading through a very early thread regarding auto thread and slot load projectors.
Unless i am mistaken, i got the impression that some professional projectionists really dont like them and favour manual threading. For those who may be reading this, is there a reason for this? The 16mm slot loaders are so simple i cant think of a reason why anything else would be preferred.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 10.25.2022 | Top

RE: Why do Pro Projectionists not like auto thread?

#2 by Eivind Mork , Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:10 pm

I have been wondering about the same, especially for slot loaders that have a very slim chance of damaging the film.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Graham Sinden , Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:47 am

I guess it's just because Manual threading is more 'hands on' and the projectionist see's it as a more skilled job rather than just pressing a button and can decide himself how big he wants certain loops possibly. Another reason might be that auto thread increases the risk of the film not loading and then being damaged when it gets stuck.

Maybe it's a bit like Drivers who enjoy driving like to have a Manual Gearbox rather than an Automatic as it gives them more control over hills etc.

Me myself I always prefer auto thread and it's perfect most of the time. Much better than fiddling around with the film trying to lace it round a tricky film path.

Graham S

Martin Dew likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 10.26.2022 | Top

#4 by Dave Baker , Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:52 am

Have you ever used an auto thread and it chewed your film and you could only stop the projector and break the film to prevent further damage ?
I have .
Manual thread always gives the projectionist better control and can swiftly correct problems - many times without stopping the film from running .
One of my favorite machines is the 16mm Kodak Pagent .
As far as super 8mm goes - all my projectors ( 4 of them ) are Elmos : ST1200 , GS1200,ST800 and ST600 , all auto load .
Well , here's at least one reason .

Dave Baker
Date registered 12.25.2021
ThankYou 24

#5 by Martin Dew , Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:43 pm

I have two Bell & Howell TQs and neither of them have ever rejected or damaged a film, even though they're supposed to be notorious for doing so. My Eumig S938s for Super 8 likewise. I just make sure there's plenty of leader available on the head to make sure there's no prospect of damage.

Tom Photiou likes this

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:21 pm

I guess it’s what you are used to when I started out the 16 mm machine I had was a B and H 626 and this was manual thread.Over time working in the cinema it’s always been manual thread,and barring my Elmo all my 16mm machines are manual.
I like to thread the machines myself ,if it goes wrong it’s my fault not the machine.Even on my Eiki l thread,I’m sure if you worked in a cinema with 35mm it’s what you are used to doing.
I enjoy that part of presenting the film show,it’s an individual thing,but I’m sure it’s being just that bit more hands on with the film.
If you have a long play set up,which shall we say is a little unconventional in the way the film path goes ,then as Martin says long leader is a must and in my case manual thread is the only way.
Each to his own set up but I prefer manual thread 😁

Eivind Mork likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#7 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:46 pm

Thanks for the replies, i do get the more hands on thing and like some have said, if it is something you have done professionally for years then it does become a part of the presentation set up.
Dave i think i have also been very lucky and not had a threading problem where my leaders have been chewed up. I have had many films where i have had to replace leaders before i dared to thread them. Like other collectors, i've bought films where the leader has a curly so harsh that if it were threaded it would almost certainly catch and concertina in the film path or simply come out through the top. I've also seen leaders with more splices within it than any of my films have all the way through and of course, damage sprocket holes. I wonder how many times rental prints got knackard up at the start because people simply didn't know to trim the end or simply check that first few feet.

As for the slot loaders, i couldn't believe how simple they are , embarrassingly, when i bought my one and only slot loader, it took me a while to work out how to thread the film through as there was no instructions and i'd never seen one before, i didn't think it could be that simple.

Dave Baker sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#8 by Maurice Leakey , Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:31 pm

The topic title is slightly irrelevant. You use what method your projector has for lacing.
Have you ever tried manual threading an auto-thread model?

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 10.27.2022 | Top

#9 by Tom Photiou , Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:36 pm

Not too sure why it's slightly irrelevant, its no more irrelevant than people asking whats your favourite projector.
The only reason i asked was because i read an older thread when i was browsing and i got the impression that some, (not all) professional projectionists were dead against auto thread or slot loaders and i wondered why that was. One comment in particular was, quote, "i dont see the point of slot loaders", which i thought was an odd comment.

Dave Baker sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#10 by Dave Baker , Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:35 pm

As a professional projectionist , I would prefer a manual load . It is a relevant question . I never had major problems with a manual thread machine , like the auto loads . I did have a 16mm Eiki slot load and it was a very nice projector ; never any problems .

Tom Photiou likes this

Dave Baker
Date registered 12.25.2021
ThankYou 24

#11 by Maurice Leakey , Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:07 pm

I was a professional cinema projectionist for fifty years where all the 35mm projectors were manual lace.
But, this has not affected my choice of sub-standard projectors for home use.
I have manual, auto-load and slot loading 16mm projectors, whereas most of my Super 8 projectors are auto-load, but not all, some were manufactured before auto-load became the norm for Super 8 projectors.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Dave Baker
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 10.27.2022 | Top

Halloween
Elmo keyring

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor