Random shorts showings and time to move many on.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:06 pm

Going through many films to move on and accelerating the speed in which im getting rid of what now appears, (sadly) to be an increasing number of films i can no longer enjoy due to them fading, some simply items i bought and i've reached an age where i'm wondering why!!
Not all of what im putting in this thread which i will add to, is going to be sold, Many will be films i havnt seen in a very long time. I take my hat off to collectors who say they have never sold any films since they started collecting, but for me it just seems pointless to end up with a load of faded films which no longer bring the same viewing enjoyment they did when we bought them ,many years ago. Hopefully the ones we decide to move on will allow other collectors to continue enjoying them for some time to come.
Tonight i viewed for one last time before letting it go was the U8 Frank Langella version of Dracula, this one is on a full 800ft reel as it contains added scenes from the 400ft version.
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, 400ft,
Yankee Doodle Dandy, 400ft b/w sound,
Bride of Frankenstein, 400ft U8 version.
Last is a 200ft reel which years ago i cut from an incomplete feature called From Nashville with Music. I had two parts only and i think i paid around £10 for it. A terrible film where the only thing that was worth keeping was this 200ft, no titles just two songs from the brilliant Marty Robbins, "Hello Dailey news" and "singing the blues", and finally Charley Pride "The Crystal chandelier" which in my view is the best version of the song.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 10.03.2022 | Top

RE: Random shorts showings and time to move many on.

#2 by Greg Perry , Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:26 pm

Tom,
It is understandable to move these fading titles on, but also a little disheartening. I would hate to consider the state of our film hobby if there weren’t any low fade titles available…

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Tom Photiou , Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:08 pm

Me to Greg, fortunately, the amount of good colour prints we have far outweigh the faded ones.
I also think if i hadn't got into 16mm so much i may not be selling so many off. The problem is, when i put a title on that i haven't viewed in several years, only to see that awful red hue shinning out of the screen, i just lose interest in wanting to see it again. One i sold today, the 1979 Dracula, was so disappointing for me, i viewed it three years ago and it had a hint of light fade, but still looked really good, this time it was all but faded to red. As much of the movie is set at night, it just makes it worse.

I do understand many collectors are more than happy to have faded prints, thats fine, but it isn't for us, especially when some of these prints i'm selling were so good in the day.
We can only be grateful that company's like Walton, and Iver, (to name a few) had the sense to use low fade Fuji / Agfa stocks. If only polyester LPP came out ten years sooner.

Much of what i'm moving on is also to make room for any potential news titles, on Super 8 there is only a handful i really want now but the chances are becoming fewer and fewer, however, we will carry on adding to the 16mm collection as this is where the better titles are.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#4 by Mark Mander , Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:30 pm

If its the part of the hobby where you draw the line Tom then it's probably best to sell on what your not going to watch, someone will enjoy them and as you say will fund new titles, faded films are not for everyone and used to be a way into the hobby but even these are fetching good sums, Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#5 by Dave Baker , Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:45 am

Tom , don't throw them out , DONATE them to my "Red Print Theater " film collection .....

Dave Baker
Date registered 12.25.2021
ThankYou 24

#6 by Eivind Mork , Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:04 am

Being a collector for a much longer time than me, I understand the sad part of experiencing your prints fade. I came so late to the party, so fade was part of it for me when I was getting in. If my prints in great colors would fade, though, that would be sad, but the ones already being faded when I got them gives me great fun still.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#7 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:46 am

Eivind, i agree and i do understand and get that.
David, i'll PM you later.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Last edited 10.06.2022 | Top

Beware of using modified on ebay.
It's coming...The Independent 8 Christmas Quiz 2022

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor