Independent 8 Ads reel 1, 200ft colour sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:50 pm

As you know, not all the cine ad reels came from Derann, this 200ft reel came from Barry at Indi 8 and what a cracker.
200ft colour sound on low fade stock with colour image and sound every bit as good as Deranns. The opening logo is TSB, it isn't one ive seen before but i was too slow with my camera but the end TSB logo is here,
The ads are as follows, coffee ad, Nintendo games console "will you reach the end", a comical Gordons gin ad, the star of this reel is a Batman advert for the VHS release of the 1966 batman movie, 7up extreme refreshment, Real lives real jeans, a good advert but talk about trying too hard to make a short thriller!, and finally a superb bit of arty filming and editing for Guinness, some of these ads were among the best and often very funny, this one is quite cleverly put together.
Once the ads are done we then have a very unusual but excellent ending to the reel. We have some cinema logos, i havnt them all up on here but they include Warner Cinemas, (two different ones), a short animated ad advertising cinema gift vouchers, and then finally a couple of THX logos with that sound we all know very well.
All in all a great reel to get hold of if you see it.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Paul Browning, Gwyn Morgan, Martin Dew and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Independent 8 Ads reel 1, 200ft colour sound

#2 by Barry Attwood , Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:29 am

Tom,

I use to make Derek Simmonds laugh about my releases, I used to get phone calls stating that my releases were better quality than Derann's, but guess who did them for me! in the end like the home buying programs say it's location...location...location, well in my case it was masters...masters...masters.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Greg Perry, Martin Dew and Eivind Mork
Barry Attwood  
Barry Attwood
Date registered 08.11.2015
home: Weeley, Essex, U.K.
ThankYou 50

Last edited 09.04.2022 | Top

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:43 pm

Its a spotless print too Barry, The idea of the logos at the end was also a nice touch, those WB cinemas logos were very colourful. I'm working my way through my ad reels so will be posting more.
The Disney Dinosaur trailer had a really good Virgin opening, that reel is worth the opening on its own. Here it is here for those who havnt seen it, this youtube copy is pretty dull in quality but when i next view it il capture a screenshot or two, the 8mm release at the start of the trailer has staggering colours, the brightest reds and yellows you could get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0JehVD5...annel=PhilBrown

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#4 by Greg Perry , Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:23 pm

Tom,

It is great to see pics of these adverts--thank you for sharing these. The Rutger Hauer ones for Guiness are ones I have always enjoyed (just off youtube though). I think I have maybe two Derann ad reels, one is quite good, the other not so much. I will have to dig them out and rewatch them soon.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:52 pm

Let us know which two you have Greg. I did have a couple that i sold on a couple of years ago, id need to check the numbers but one was literally two long ads which i thought was very dull and the other was the reel with Mike and Bernie winters, this one had fade so i didn't want to keep it.
I try to look out for the ones i would like to add, namely, 25, 15, 19,20,21,28,29 and if it exists, 30. Another copy of 10 would be ideal only because the one we have was a white box special. It is actually fine but does have a little image up and down movement, i see it but fortunately my audiences dont seem to.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#6 by Eivind Mork , Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:12 pm

That print looks absolutely gorgeous!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#7 by Tom Photiou , Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:03 pm

Eivind, these ad reels are generally really good, the sound on some of them is quite extraordinary and as you see, the colours on the low fade prints are as good as any of their top feature releases as well as being pin sharp. You sometimes get a bit of wear from the master material on the older ads but overall, they are tops.
I know a few of the early advert reels are now sadly fading, fortunately, all the best ones are on low fade though.

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Independence Day/ Broken Arrow Scope Trailers
James Bond Trailer Reel.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor