Lost in Space. A visit to Hades.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:22 pm

Lost in space started out really good, I know this is a classic 60s Sci fi and it does have a huge following. Growing up i loved it. Unfortunatly, many of the storylines were so terrible, viewing them now is often embarrassing, this is one such title. Dont get me wrong, it raises a smile and is fun to watch but in this particular episode, the acting from Marta Kristen who played Judy Robinson is absolutely awful and so over the top it becomes rather silly.
For whatever reason, this episode has around a seven minute section missing, it doesn't effect the storyline at all so i cant work out if its a shortened version for transmission or something.
This copy is in good condition, there is no sprocket hole damage or anything so it doesn't make sense why any of the pre owners would have removed it. The stock is Eastman safety stock so colours are still very good but with a hint of fade. The very front catch up from the previous episode isn't on it nor is the "next episode preview" at the very end, although the end titles are there except for the very last note.
It has the main front titles but after they go up, the short 20 second section with episode title, guest star/written by/directed by titles is also removed. All the film retained is in good condition so its an odd copy,
When i enquired as to the title of this episode, i was told it was "the one where they end up in prison", so i thought it was The Prisoners of Space which was a good episode but one of two continuous episodes. unfortunately, it turned out to be this episode and it is not one of my favourites, if it was, i would be be keeping it ,so i will move it on eventually , but it is a fun viewing though.

Heres some pointless fun things i found out about this one,
The costume of the creature in the cave was that of Metaluna from the film, This Island Earth, and the gloves and claws were from the creature from the black lagoon.
Billy Mumy was injured during the making of this episode.
The actor, Gerald Mohr, who plays Morbus, died only 8 weeks after this episode aired for the last time on network television aged 54.

Our super 8 episode, the reluctant stowaway, is defiantly one of the best along with the second episode which we would like to be able to find but it would be on 16mm, as far as i know, there were no other episodes released on Super 8.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

Last edited 06.12.2022 | Top

RE: Lost in Space. A visit to Hades.

#2 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:13 pm

Have no episodes on film, but have the discs. The first series in black & white was good, the move to colour for series two was plot and story wise not too bad, but they did have a few duds. Series three well the less said the better. Irwin Allen productions always seemed to start with good scripts and then go down hill quite fast. Monster of the week seemed popular.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

Tom Photiou likes this

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#3 by Paul Browning , Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:31 pm

A KIDS VERSION OF STAR TREK IN MY OPINION, WITH SOME GOOD AND BAD AS YOU SAY, LIKE MOST OF IRWIN ALLEN PRODUCTIONS, ENTERTAINING FOR US KIDS AT THE TIME .......

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:34 pm

Defiantly Paul, i think the first series was ok, growing up as kids they all were, but like many things, as we get older it just isn't the same.
I dont remember many episodes, but my Brother bought all three series on DVD, even he said the first half a dozen episodes of the first series were the best, after that it went downhill.
I'ts been fun watching a few though, we will stick with the b/w super 8 episode we have.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#5 by Clyde Miles , Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:26 am

tom sent pm, best

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

My Dear Killer feature scope