New rollers in my Elmo 16CL

#1 by Eivind Mork , Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:00 pm

I have two Elmo 16CLs. One with a slight take up reel issue which I have at home, and a newer one at the cabin. The newer one is a magnetic and optic, while the old is just optic.

In the late autumn I discovered it had started to get the goo problem. The rollers looked fine when I got it, but I guess I should have checked it better. The goo had started to leak at the sides from the inside near the core. The outer center looked fine, but I discovered some sticky stuff at the very side of my film. Not good at all! No more film was run throught this until it was cleaned and with a new set of rollers.

The problem was that I had not thought about that the magnetic one had more rollers than the other. So the set I got was not enough. Most sets I found on eBay was for 16CL without further specification. But I ended up with a rather expensive set from Germany that specifically stated it was good for the M+O.

The set came in a very nice package. It had a great metal box, and inside there was a good instruction included with markings of each roller with the accompanying part number for the roller. Each roller was in a small plastic bag with a part number. It even had extra tools if needed.

The only issue was the roller for the magnetic sound head. It was hard to get out, but I found a good instruction video from Larry Urbanski on YouTube that explained it very well, so I managed to get it done.

I am very happy to have it up and running again!

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: New rollers in my Elmo 16CL

#2 by Tom Photiou , Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:12 pm

Eivind, thanks for this excellent thread, i have heard a lot about the roller problem on these but have yet to see one of these projectors.
The video is very well done and must be a great help to all owners of these projectors. Should i ever get one, i will have an idea of what to do. Although i do tend to have the touch of stone when i start playing
Glad to read that yuors is back up and running. Am i right in saying that the new rollers are an improved material which hopefully, should prevent this happening again?

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#3 by Maurice Leakey , Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:51 pm

Tom
May I respectfully say that you do not consider an Elmo slot loader. Whilst the rollers may look good they eventually get the goo problem.
If you want a good slot loader I recommended the Bell & Howell 1680 model G, not the model B. The former is a black model and takes the easily obtained A1/259 (ELC) lamp, whereas the green model B takes the old and now expensive A1/258 (EMM) lamp. Of course, the Bell & Howell models can have a worm problem.
Then there is the Eiki (Elf) Super Slim Slotload which is perhaps an eventual choice. Currently in use is my model ESL-2, this has electronic push button controls and can also run magnetic. Not often seen but worth looking out for.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 02.24.2022 | Top

#4 by Paul Browning , Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:14 pm

I purchased my set from Richard Patchett which are the new polyurethane material rollers, so no turning soft or squiggy and you send back the old one's for a refund. These are plastic /nylon rollers with nitrile "0 " rings to support the film close to the outer edges, preventing any contact in the film frame area. I fitted mine fairly easily, i think the only one to be care ful when fitting is the brake roller which forms the loop, providing the spring tensions are still good, the roller aren't that hard to fit. This machine suffers more with the rewind clutch problem not working correctly, the rollers can also be renewed with new sleeves again poly.............

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#5 by Mark Mander , Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:27 pm

I have had the roller goo on my CL, easy enough to change, I have 3 CLs, I did make the mistake of fitting a set of plastic rollers which soon came out again as it affected the sound and put a scratch on a trailer, I got a rubber set and although more expensive it's well worth the extra cost, they are designed for the rubber ones, which I recommend you stick to(no pun intended),Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#6 by Eivind Mork , Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:51 am

Not sure what the rollers are made of, but the design is such that it should just have contact on the outer areas.

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

Amityville Horror swap
THAT DARN CAT 🐈‍⬛

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 3
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor