Auto thread film trimming

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:07 pm

I was reading an item on the other channel regarding Eumigs and film trimming.
Quite often in the past, i have read up a number of articles on this subject, (not the most interesting of subjects though) and the amount of times i have read that if you dont trim the film properly it will not thread, or it will get stuck, in particular, i was told that the Bauers are really fussy and if not trimmed correctly with a Bauer trimmer, the chances are your film will not thread.
My own experience is that i have either been very lucky, or lots of collector's have films with extremely tatty leaders. The Eumig trimmers, as most of you know, cut a straight end with two tapers, one slightly different size to the other, the Elmo trimmers simply cut a curve end and the only thing i always make sure of, is that the cut doesn't go through a perforation. Having said that, if the trimmers are used properly, they wont cut through a perforation.
I would guess that 90% of our films when we got them have been trimmed on our Elmo 1200HD's, every one of those films also feed perfectly well through all the Eumigs we have and even the Bauer without any problems without the need for re trimming on those different projectors.
Does anyone on here seriously have to trim the leader for their films to work on different projector's for them thread? Obviously if you only have one make of machine you wont have problems, as i dont using one trim for all.
I cant really see it as a subject of great interest so apologies if your yawning as you read, (as i did)

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 02.20.2022 | Top

RE: Auto thread film trimming

#2 by Paul Browning , Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:38 pm

If i get a film through the post, first thing i look at is the trimmed leader, and from that i can tell what machine the film has probably been run through, and this acts as a pre cursor as to what damage might have occurred too. I have had more trouble with the leader curling in the wrong direction and not threading properly than any trimmed end to be honest, one machine which was more problematic than others was the beaulieu 708 el, i switched to the bauer t610 no problem, the elmo gs, i have trimmed the ends with nail clippers, no problem again. They all can play up with the auto threading taking hold once fed in, and the dreaded concertina effect grabbing the film and doing its worst. The only machine that the trimmed end didn't effect was the fumeo 9119 which is manual threading, so you dispense with the front end of the film, but i have miss threaded the damn thing many times. I wish elmo had done a channel loading super 8 long play projector like there 16 mm cl, now that might have been a game changer............

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Mark Mander , Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:22 pm

I've had the odd issue with all my projectors except one, the Chinon SS1200 seems to thread no matter what you put through it. The Elmos are all slightly different I find, my GS1200'S seem pretty good, the ST1200s like a curved edge, ST600 seems good, my Sankyo 800s are pretty fuss free with the odd hiccup if not trimmed correctly , I do find some of the Bauers fussy but fine on the proper trim. I always have the side off or down when threading a film on any projector, I can see any issues straight away before any damage occurs, I rarely just thread and take it for granted it will go through trouble free except for the Chinon,Mark

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#4 by Joseph Banfield , Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:39 pm

Nope, no problem at all with any of my five Eumigs or my Bauer projector. Doesn't seem to matter on any of them how the film is trimmed, wether straight across, beveled corners or any variation thereof.

Joseph Banfield  
Joseph Banfield
Date registered 12.06.2021

Elmo ST1200 rear cover
BEAULIEU 708 EL STEREO : PWR & REGUL BOARD CLONING IN PROGRESS

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor