RE: Blackpool 2021

#26 by Martin Dew , Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:49 pm

I'm still reading all these great comments, but I really enjoyed the show. Fantastic to meet Eivind and Greg finally, the latter making it all the way over the pond from Minnesota. Impressive, to say the least. Both gentlemen are great assets to this hobby. I couldn't do the three days for various reasons so drove up for the day. Managed to find these films, including Project the Right Image. Been looking for that for ages!

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Greg Perry, Eivind Mork, Gwyn Morgan and Del Phillipson

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#27 by Eivind Mork , Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:08 pm

Quote: Joachim Schmidt wrote in post #25
Dank you for the pictures! Is Phil on one of the pictures? I only know his voice from orders...

He was there. This is Phil.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

Last edited 11.24.2021 | Top

#28 by Tom Photiou , Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:36 pm

Thanks to everyone on here who has shared pictures for those of us who were unable to go, meeting the other collectors would be the main things for me.
It would be great if another convention for London could be organised, perhaps Blackpool and /Ealing. London could be every other year, one year in the capitol and the next in the North??

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#29 by Greg Perry , Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:04 pm

Tom,

That is an interesting idea to alternate locations each year. I spot-checked some of the films I bought this morning. So far so good, a tiny bit of wear on Reel 2 of Beauty and the Beast. Reel 1 looked solid. But this was just a spot check as I have no rewinds here at the moment. Color (and B/W) and condition looked first-rate on the trailers/shorts I bought from Phil and other dealers. I have a couple more films to spot-check. I will post some pics of my haul a bit later or tomorrow, but first a few follow-up comments on Blackpool.

1. The event was very well organized and went off flawlessly. The film shows were a lot of fun. Sunday's film shows and there were two, attracted double the crowd of the Friday and Saturday shows and of course that is due to the additional visitors that came up just for Sunday's sale. The auction wasn't too impressive, in my opinion. Some bargains were had, but mostly the items that were auctioned off were perhaps leftovers that weren't going to sell at the film show. It might be an idea for each dealer to commit to auctioning off one of their top items, in addition to the leftovers. And since a Reserve can be placed on items, there is no real risk to the dealer. These reserves can be lifted at the auction if the dealer or seller agrees to them. I had already burned through my film budget so wouldn't have been able to bid on any gem anyway, but it might be something for the organizers to consider, to add a bit more excitement to the auction part.

2. About the "Offers taken": I personally prefer items to be priced and here's why: If all items are priced, I can decide to buy items A and/or B and/or C. If item A isn't priced, maybe I will just buy items B and C and go on to the next dealer for items D or whatever based on my remaining cash. Maybe I come back to the dealer later and make an offer on the unpriced item, but more likely I find something else at another table and spend my money there, which eliminates any chance for me to make an offer a bit later. I am not sure there is a foolproof solution to this dilemma because if items are required to be priced a dealer may simply put a super high figure on it, like say 1000 pounds or even more. No one will buy it at that price, and the dealer may truly know that, and so then a punter ends up having to make an offer anyway, which the dealer can reject or accept. So not sure even requiring a price on all items would solve this issue from a buyer's standpoint. I get that it seems like an auction when no price is present, but I don't think it ends up with two bidders going back and forth. You make your offer, it is either accepted or rejected. The next person may make the same offer or lower or higher, and it will be either accepted or rejected. It is not multiple buyers cranking the price up against one another. In my mind, it only benefits the seller to have 'Offers Taken' if somebody doesn't know the going price and offers a foolish amount for it. Otherwise, those that know the actual current market value are not going to offer much more for an unpriced item. Bottom line, even with 'Offers Taken' one will STILL likely be able to get the print for less than what typically happens in today's crazy eBay world. The other outcome is the item remains unsold and the dealer doesn't benefit.

3. Early buys at the sale event = This has been a hot issue for many. This is also a problem with no perfect solution. Many suggest that dealers and event personnel wait in line like everyone else. Not sure how this could work in actual practice. A dealer is not going to want to leave their table and wait in line when they are there to sell to others also waiting in line. If the table is manned by only one person, then there is no way that person can wait in line and simply shut down their table in the meantime while they try and grab a film or two from another dealer. And even if they could wait in line, guess where they would be? At the front of the line anyway. Eivind and I got there two hours before the sale opened. Most dealers were already there and getting their tables set up. The dealers are there before any other buyers get in line, so were they to get in line they would be first anyway. The door was open for the last half hour and those of us near the front of the line could see that no one was cherry-picking titles from Phil's table. I said it didn't bother me that Shorty pre-bought an empty reel and a short. Did that impact anyone waiting in line? Probably not, although it is a possibility. I know people tried to pre-buy titles from Phil and he turned them all down. I think there were additional titles that Phil had that were not even on the earlier list: Lady and the Tramp full feature, and Derann Hunchback of Notre Dame are two that I personally saw. I guess the ultimate question for me is: would I be irritated if someone pre-bought the Beauty and the Beast print I was wanting? And for sure the answer would be, Yes, I would be irritated. Would it ruin the fun of the convention? No, because it is better for me to base my happiness and enjoyment not on "things" or prints, but more so on having an enjoyable time with fellow film collectors over the course of the weekend. Anyway, that is more than most want to even hear about this issue so I hope we can be done with this and move on to enjoying and promoting the hobby together.

4. Regarding the number of dealers and attendees: From what I heard, the numbers were close to what was expected by the event organizers. Certainly, attendance was impacted by Covid-19 issues, particularly from other countries. Those arriving from other countries like me, Shorty, the Norwegian/Swedish Viking gang, Dom, Sebastien were all required to take a "Day 2" Covid test. This test had to be completed within two days of arrival in England. If you test negative you are free to go. If you test positive, you are forced to self-quarantine at a designated hotel at a tremendous cost--I heard over 2000 pounds for the required 10-day quarantine. So all of us foreigners would have been hit hard--missing out on Blackpool entirely and eating a steep mandated bill for the quarantine. Beyond that of course is the risk of exposure to even the UK residents attending the event. With many collectors along in years, this is an added risk to attend. So bottom line, yes more dealers are needed for next year's event. Hopefully, the Covid crap will be less risky by November 2022. Regardless of the number of dealers and attendees, I think the vast majority of people had a great time, and if you are basing your happiness on cheap and numerous films, then, yes, you would perhaps be disappointed compared to other past years.

5. Coming in from the US, it was simply amazing how friendly and welcoming everyone was. Among the people I got to chat with include: Joe Caruso, Dom De Bast, Brian Fretwell, Elain Guest, David Skillern, Melvin England and his wife Kathleen, Simon McConway, Mark Norton, Bob Nichols, David Watson, Eddie Goodwin, Adrian Winchester, Jan Andresen, Mats Abelli, Jarle (not sure of last name spelling), Phil and Denise Sheard, John Armer, Lee Mannering and his wife Val, Peter Travers and Evelyn, Sebastian Metens, Del Phillipson, Martin Dew, Mark Mander, of course, Eivind Mork, Ged Jones, and many others as well. Even if there were no films at all for sale, meeting fellow film collectors and watching films, I think, is the biggest and best part of the whole convention.

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Del Phillipson, Tom Photiou, John Armer and Eivind Mork
Paul Browning, Del Phillipson and Tom Photiou say Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Last edited 11.24.2021 | Top

#30 by Mark Mander , Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:52 pm

All fair comments Greg but I still think some people there shouldn't have been allowed in the Sunday sale before it opened, say Shorty bought Beauty and the Beast and you watched it happen? You would have been really pissed off!! How do you know I hadn't driven 420 miles for the reel he bought?? Shouldn't have bought and he and a few others shouldn't have been there, if they were at the front of the queue then good luck to them but they should have lined up. The Friday and Saturday part has nothing to do with the Sunday event , it surely doesn't give you a free pass, Mark

Paul Browning likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#31 by Paul Browning , Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:26 pm

Mark that one's reason i don't go, and an elderly mother to look after is the other. It could be stopped, the dealers should only sell to those coming through those doors , after all if the
items are that sort after most collectors will purchase them on finding, no selling will loose out. The same old faces " the clique " of people, i'm not include joe in this bunch, but if its that easy to get in first, i'll get my order in now, i won't have to queue either, its a win win situation. I don't know about jaws, its the predators elsewhere you need to be aware of, and if you don't know who that is .....................

David Skillern sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#32 by Mark Mander , Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:21 pm

Yes just wander in Paul ha ha, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#33 by David Skillern , Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:46 am

Well, after commenting on the other forum regarding one dealers idea of fair prices to collectors for certain top titles - it was followed by a tirade of emails to my home accusing me of being a liar and not having the balls to tell him where I got the information from and me explaining that as the other site has Forum in its title - then surely we can all express our views and opinions and information to keep this hobby alive and free from bad practice - suffice to say - the dealer asked me to publicly remove the post - I refused - so he has told me to buy elsewhere - Which is exactly what I'm going to do !!!

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Tom Photiou
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#34 by Mark Mander , Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:54 am

That's a shame David, sometimes people don't like seeing the truth put in front of them, I can't comment on there as I'm no longer a member but most collectors who have commented seemed to give lip service ref Phil, speak to them privately and it's a different story though, I don't really deal with him after being caught out too many times, rudeness and blame to the buyer then follows, I did get a trailer reel as my son picked it up but was reluctant to buy it, fair play to you for airing your views, Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
David Skillern sais Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#35 by Mark Silvester ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:54 pm

Hi all,

yes saw the pictures on here and the other forum...I have to say it looked very "sad" and "tired"...and a bit "seedy" almost. sad :(

Mind you we have to remember that many of these people who are left in the hobby are 70 - 80+ years old now. some of this is to be expected...nobody lives forever and the kit - certainly 8mm is wearing out. Does Lee M sell the Dave baker releases via the U.K. as a an agent? Commission something? They are expensive to buy at £300 plus for 30 minutes arent they?

I'm 60 and although I run 5k a day... I am no spring chicken! Phil Sheard must be 72 easy.

Aaah well, we have the memories of the great Derek Simmonds "Derann" days..

cheers.

Mark

Dave Baker does not like this!
Mark Silvester

#36 by Mark Mander , Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:02 pm

I was there and definitely didn't get a seedy vibe, yes sad and tired but where seedy comes from Mark I don't know, that's a bit odd.

Lee as far as I'm aware isn't an agent, I asked him about his Jaws film and it wasn't for sale, I wasn't interested in buying but just showing my son what they cost these days.

Wow seedy!!! Odd !! No mention of that in your comments on the other side, Mark

Del Phillipson likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

Last edited 11.25.2021 | Top

#37 by Greg Perry , Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:59 pm

Mark S.,

I am not really sure what you are trying to accomplish with such a description. Are you referring to the people, or the event or ?
I am a bit sad that you got that impression.

That is completely the opposite from what I experienced and felt. I had a great time, and really enjoyed talking with the various dealers and fellow attendees. Keep in mind the residual impacts of Covid definitely affected the number of dealers and visitors at this year's show. Next year should have even more dealers and collectors, I would think.

I would have thought a rather rare event like this would have been enjoyed and celebrated a bit more by all, even if it isn't quite like the previous shows during the golden age of Derann.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Del Phillipson

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#38 by Tom Photiou , Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:03 pm

I dont think anyone should be emailing in that manner to a private email address, from what i am seeing elsewhere there appears to be some upset people at one another.
Those who went seem to have had a good time, i wasn't able to go as unfortunately i had used all my leave up in work after our flood here at home earlier in the year and it fell on my Saturday of work. Meeting the other collectors is the part i would have like very much, possibly a cheap film or two but i would have been a bit dissapointed at having to put bids in for films, but from what most on here are saying, excluding the one big stall, the days were quite enjoyable.

I gather that elsewhere another collector looking in here has taken my jokey comments on the food the wrong way, oh dear oh dear,
I Said, "I've never been to Blackpool but while the food, (pictured on the other channel) looked yummy, compared to the Greek & Italian restaurants we have here in Plymouth in abundance, it reminded me of a seaside café dinner, think i'd be looking for a takeaway afterwards",

It wasn't a serious comment, hence the afterwards, if people looking in from elsewhere read properly and not just take bits of it out of context perhaps they may get my sense of humour, if your looking in here, perhaps you may like to actually join in so we can at least answer you, here.

All in all, i would like to have attended and i am pleased that those who went had a good time, its unfair on David that such emails were sent but having read the other channels Blackpool thread in full David has plenty of others who have verified what he said.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#39 by Mark Mander , Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:15 pm

OK it wasn't the best do this year but let's not forget we did get some good films too, Greg got his Disney feature and a couple of others, I got my Elvis feature and a day out with my son plus a few other films, other collectors got a few films and we all had a chat and met some familiar faces after a couple of years not doing so, put like that it was a fun day out for me and some viewing to be had, i didn't think I'd go to Blackpool again a couple of years back but glad I did,Mark.

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#40 by Tom Photiou , Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:30 pm

And that was what i can see Mark, as i said, meeting other collectors would definatly had been the highlight for me and having a laugh and talking film.

i had to comment as clearly DW form the other channel decided to comment there rather than here, people really do need to chill out a bit a take a joke, read a thread properly, sour grape's? What on earth is that all about?.
In over 40 years of collecting films i have enjoyed our few trips to Ealing, (4 hour drive rather than 6, and more to see in London than Blackpool's iron tower and lights).
For those looking in and not contributing, emoticon = fun/funny/joke!!!

I am looking forward to hearing about those films those who attended manage to buy and hopefully some screenshots. You did well to get an IB Tech Elvis feature Mark. Your Elvis collection continues to grow, and with great quality.

The following members like this: Mark Mander and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#41 by Eivind Mork , Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:11 pm

I wanted to weigh in my impression too. I had a great time at Blackpool. It was a well organized event and I had fun all weekend talking to people all the time which made it all well worth the long trip for me.

It makes me a little sad if the effort made by the organizers are overshadowed by negative comments which I find very undeserved. At events like this there will always be some things we not agree on or would like differently as we as people have different views, ideas and focus. I had the impression that most people had a great time and it would be sad if people that were not there got a bad impression. These events does not happen by itself. It is done by people in their spare time, and I can only imagine how it would be for them to look on the forums where so many of the posts are very negative. And I honestly don't think it is representative at all. Where will they find their motivation to continue if this is what they meet? I think that is very undeserved and would make the opportunity to thank the organizers for the job they put into it!

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Tom Photiou, Del Phillipson and Martin Dew
Greg Perry and Del Phillipson say Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#42 by Del Phillipson , Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:17 am

Where the hell does the Seedy comment come from, I always associate Seedy with dirty old men in raincoats with holes in the pockets sat watching seedy movies, I for one didn't see anyone to match that description, if anything I was stood next to ripped Greg and Jesus I need to up my game and get back in the Gym
It was what it was, as Mark said, it wasn't the best, but if it wasn't for Phil then it probably would have been a disaster with people leaving well early as there wasn't much else to be had of what I would call quality product. I have to say, at lunch time a few of us gathered in the reception area where a some brave people actually (and I saw them do it) sat and ate the Hot Pot, at one point I thought it might be a hammer and chisel job but the banter was brilliant, Shorty was there too and that alone made the trip worth while.

Greg Perry likes this

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

Last edited 11.26.2021 | Top

Armchair theatre

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor