Another 48 hours

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:15 pm

We viewed this print last night with the idea of selling it on now, however, it is such a good 80s movie, two very good stars, and a perfect mix of action, drama and comedy throughout.
While i am still miffed about reel two, the action does keep you going.
I see there is now treatment for fade, i wonder if anyone would ever come up with something to hide those darn green lines, that would be a winning formula.
We will hold on to it for a few more viewings, aside these poxy lines on reel two the print is superb with absolute pin sharpe image and fantastic colours, and the added bonus it is a full theatrical print rather than TV print.
For screenshots see the review here,

Another 48 hours. Theatrical Print.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Eivind Mork, Greg Perry and Robert Crewdson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Another 48 hours

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:34 am

I find the emulsion scratch is not so bad on repeated viewings because you know it's coming up. Fortunately, I only have them on three prints. I would rather own those prints than not have the film at all. It's a shame that a good or maybe rare print is spoiled because someone didn't take as much care in cleaning their projectors as we do.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Gwyn Morgan and Tom Photiou

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#3 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:53 am

Got to agree with Robert on this one.As said on the original post for the money it’s got to be worth keeping,prints are becoming hard to find and you never know a reel two might just turn up.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Robert Crewdson

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#4 by Mark Mander , Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:05 am

It makes you wonder how the other reel isn't scratched too, I find it an annoyance no matter how many times its viewed.

You could always try the water trick, soaking the film in water a section at a time will expand the emulsion and close the gap, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:13 am

Cant say i've heard of the water treatment Mark. I thought water was films enemy. What would happen after its dried and then you apply filmguard or other cleaner to it?
Has anyone reading this tried the water thing?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#6 by Mark Mander , Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:52 am

I was told about it years ago, it does work but you have to be careful and a section at a time, ,you dry the film off and yes you can apply a cleaner, results were good on the films I saw but it is a risky process if you over do it, I must add I've never tried it but well known collector and everything Elmo Kevin Faulkner passed this on and it was successful for him, I've been meaning to do it on an old film but never got round to it, not seen it on super 8 but it was 16mm that it was demonstrated on, Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:04 pm

I'll start a new thread on it Mark and see f anyone else has had a go. I must admit, anything with water sounds a bit iffy but it doesn't hurt to ask. Apart from that, even the word water makes me swoon after the what we had go on here and the its not quite over yet!!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#8 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:05 pm

I've heard of the water treatment, though don't know how it's applied. It would have to be a brief immersion,as Tom says, water is the enemy of film. I think on the website about Filmguard it says it has been used on water damaged prints and improved them. I have only shown my films to my wife, I wouldn't want to show a film with an emulsion scratch to someone not familar with real film, and having to explain why it's like that. They would probably have a poor impression of the hobby.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#9 by Mark Mander , Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:38 pm

I only mentioned it as finding a replacement reel will be near on impossible or expensive to have another made, its an old trick but not for the feint hearted, worth trying I guess if you like the film, I've never kept a film with emulsion lines that appear mid screen or worse as it takes away the enjoyment for me, Mark

Robert Crewdson likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

Last edited 09.04.2021 | Top

Drive-In (1976)
Combat Vic Morrow, Series 1 episode 13 Reunion

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor