Fade chemical repair

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:35 pm

I recently read a small item on the chemical fix for films which have some fade.
I wondered if anyone on here has used it yet and could let us know how well it works. I think for us the cost alone would probably make it unviable along with the costs of postage both ways. Especially 16mm. The use of low cost gels does the job but it's a very good creation by the Gentleman in Italy and the efforts he has put in are great, i know many collectors will use this service and many prints will be brought back to good colours again.
Is there a life span for this treratment?

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Fade chemical repair

#2 by Greg Perry , Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:17 pm

Tom,

I am sorry; I don't know much more than you on this. But it is tempting to find a faded print of a normally high-priced film, and send it off for treatment. A while back I bid on a faded 16mm print of "Rear Window." My idea was if I got it at a good price, I could send it over to Italy for treatment and get a decent---but not great---print at an overall reasonable price. I have not yet found a cheap print that is a worthy candidate. From what I understand, there needs to be a bit of color remaining. If it is entirely beet red, you won't gain much by the treatment.

There is a bit more info on Alberto's service in this blog post by Ignacio Benedeti Corzo: http://mimundoensuper-8.blogspot.com/2021/02/
Scroll down to find the 23 Feb post entitled "O.R.S. TREATMENT: ALREADY AVAILABLE FOR 35 MM TOO"
Although the blog is in Spanish, if you are using Google Chrome, you should be able to select to translate to English at the top right of your browser. (That is what I do, I hope it works for others as well...)

Here is a pic of before and after (courtesy of Mr. Corzo, and MI MUNDO EN SUPER-8)

I am not sure if anyone has been able to answer the question as to how long the treatment lasts....

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Gwyn Morgan

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:40 am

Thanks Greg, the images shown there are pretty remarkable, if you live in Italy or not too far away then it would be it, i think if you had a print on 2,3 or more 1600 or 2000ft spolls the price with all the postage could make it unviable. Perfect for shorts though or, more importantly, if you have some home footage you want to restore, but i suspect most home movies were shot on Kodachrome so colours should still be like new, i know all of ours is.

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Paul Browning , Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:46 pm

To me neither of these would be acceptable. First one is turned red, second one is now sand colour, no ones skin colour is that colour, so its still appears unnatural to me. I would not be happy with that outcome regardless of cost. Now if he could remove base scratches on a film, that would be worth investing in............

Robert Crewdson likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#5 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:19 pm

Yes that would be good, and emulsion scratches, unfortunately, thats one thing i dont think could ever be created.

The cleaner, 222 use to do a hell of a good job of hiding thin base lines while decreasing the on screen appearance of emulsion scratches, filmguard does an OK job of very thin black lines but as i found out, it really enhances green lines, something i didn't think about until i used it on a film with a single green line, it bought it up a treat

Unfortunatly, i have never been able to get hold of Film renew, i understand this one is an excellent cleaner of film.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 04.17.2021 | Top

Filmguard
John Deere...Corporate film archive

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor