A Fistful of Dollars,200ft reels,Miko-Studio release.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:51 pm

First of all, i cannot take any credit on this thread, that will belong to Hugh Scott who, this week has opened my eyes to some stuff that, as a collector of 40 years, i am ashamed to say i had not heard of before.
Earlier in the week i was very kindly sent three super 8 colour sound reels, these were 2 x 200ft colour sound editions of A fistful of Dollars, (numbers 301 and 303) plus a 400ft reel of the same containing another 303 but also 302.
I also recieved a hard copy of a catalogue of releases by the company Miko-studios which i have copied onto here to share, permission of Mr Thomson.
Bearing in mind that these reels were released and printed in 1975, the colour and sound is A1. These copies are 45 years old and the colours are still excellent. The sound is very good with the language being in Italian, however, this really does add to the movie. Without me rambling on i would like to pop up some information sent to by Hugh-Scott which i think really explains things better than i will.

“I know for a fact that this company printed gorgeous colour prints, of which I have them all, bar the Trinity films.
The films were printed reduced from 35mm pre-print material on Eastmancolor intermediate 7249 and printed onto Eastmancolor 7381. Would you believe that?

Actually, the other westerns had better print, as the 35mm negative from the original movie, of “Fistful” was not as good as the other titles. The guy, Miel Koomen, who ran the Dutch company, was disappointed in his sales, as response was poor, he sold me his own print, as a shipment had been hi jacked in transit. I bought many films from Miel, he was a great man to deal with, he eventually moved to the USA, I mentioned him on the 8mm film forum some years ago, but Mr Meltzer killed that stone dead when the guy tried to contact me, ja vohl mein herr!! The company later released very cut versions of their films, also the prints were not good, bought one in the ‘80’s, it was red and heavily cut, the full film of ‘Fistful’, fit onto a 1200’ spool, this version filled an 800’ one!
These films would have been available in any language had the demand been sufficient, as they had the rights for all EEC Countries. Derek Simmonds had the rights to the ‘Dollar’ films, but nothing came of it. Regarding the other ‘Dollar’ westerns, I imported “Few Dollars More” from Wayne Sarnowski in the US about 25 years ago, the film has slight fade, not pink or red, similar to your ‘Nobody’ print, ‘Good, bad & Ugly’ is much the same, it came from Minette at Debonair Films, again a long time
ago, I can remember the lady that ran the business dying of cancer, but they were lovely folk to
deal with, she even managed to get me ‘Clash of the Titans’ on 16mm. It was Debonair that sold me the IB print of ‘Fistful’ on 16mm, it came from someone in Jersey. My IB print of ‘Years BC’ belonged to someone involved in the making of the film, but Minette wouldn’t tell me who it was!
Considering that our prints are 45 years Old, put out in ’75 for a time, then superseded by a shorter reel and poorer print, three out of the original six were top notch, the other three, were not as good, being taken from 35mm cinema prints, but for me, it was perfect at the time. The 400’ from marketing film had scenes that edited in quite nicely
Funnily enough, I’ve come across all the dollar films on Italian ebay in the last few years, including OUATITW, all full length on super 8, but faded colour”.

I also asked Hugh how he got so much of his information on the companies and people within the hobby, he replied,

“I dealt with advertisers in Movie Maker & Super 8 Film Collector by Paul Van Someren, it was
through his efforts that the Distributors pulled their socks up. Miel Koomen was one of the best to buy from, he sent me a load of catalogues from Italy & Germany, he said I should select the films I was interested in and he would try to get them while on holiday in Italy, he did just that”.

Here are some screenshots of my copies of AFFOD and also the six pages of the catalogue along with some other information I was sent.
Thank you Hugh if you are looking in.

As a footnote, i have uploaded the catalogue and text pages in full size, you should be able to click on them to read them but for some reason they turn sideways. Hope you still read it.

The following members like this: Don Cunningham, Del Phillipson, Eivind Mork and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 08.05.2020 | Top

RE: A Fistful of Dollars,200ft reels,Miko-Studio release. WOW

#2 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:14 pm

Some great information there Tom, the print looks great too,Mark

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Mark Mander

#3 by Del Phillipson , Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:27 pm

Now that looks very nice Tom, well done :-)

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#4 by Eivind Mork , Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:45 pm

What a title to have in the collection! :-) Great colors!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#5 by Tom Photiou , Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:58 pm

Thank you, i'm so pleased that the chaps had the common sense to use decent stock. Whoever invented fast fade cheap crappy stock to sell to the home movie collector should have been shot. If all films were on decent stocks like this, our films would have lasted so much longer. Unfortunatly profits were at the forefront. The prices paid for films should have ensured decent stocks.
I can understand the hire and cinema prints using the cheaper stocks as they only had a short life.

BTW, just to clarify a detail,
it was Meil Kooman, of Miko Studios who was the only distributor, fotocinedizioni were the people who actually put this stuff out.(thanks Hugh for the detail), i just like to ensure the correction is up.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 04.22.2020 | Top

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:03 pm

I love that film, one on my 16mm wishlist. One of the first VHS films I rented. Looks quite good

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#7 by Tom Photiou , Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:22 pm

It is very good Vidar. I didnt expect the colours to be anything like this. What makes it so good is that each 200 footer is a good decent extract rather than a choppy cutdown so the Meastro's music within the film is there in full.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

A Bundle of Joy,400ft Colour.
A Jim Reeves Memorial 200ft Colur Sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor