Days of Steam/Days of Steam Collector's Magazine

#1 by Bill Phelps , Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:07 pm

These are 2 separate films that I have put on one 400' spool. Each one is about 150' in length. Both offer a nice selection of steam locomotives. Both films have narration and music running through most of the running times but there are occasional natural sounds of the trains as well. Both these prints have great color and sound and are highly recommended if you are a rail fan. These are by Fletcher Films.

The first picture is from the first film and the rest of the pictures are from the second film.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Robert Crewdson, Greg Perry, Tom Photiou and Iman Yahya

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

RE: Days of Steam/Days of Steam Collector's Magazine

#2 by Eivind Mork , Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:25 pm

What a coincidence! I watched Days Of Steam just one hour ago for the first time! Here are my screenshots:

Mine had an emulsion stripe at the right side for parts of the film. One other great railway film in my collection :-)

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Bill Phelps, Greg Perry, Tom Photiou and Iman Yahya

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:33 pm

Nice looking film; I haven't seen a railbus like the one in the screenshot. Most railway footage from the 50s/60s, was shot by amateurs, and very good. I think the cost of film, and the short running time, made us better film makers than todays video brigade.

The following members like this: Bill Phelps, Eivind Mork, Greg Perry and Tom Photiou

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#4 by Bill Phelps , Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:37 pm

Wow...that's awesome....we were probably screening them at the same time! Your film looks great Eivind and it appears that my only screenshot from the first film has been extended with your excellent pics!

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Robert Crewdson

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#5 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:59 am

I've actually got this film together with a few other steam related films. I have also got a film titled 'Overhaul at Aldenham' which follows the servicing and refurbishing of London buses. Quite amazing the lengths taken to bring the buses back to an almost new condition. The workplace must have been a big employer and I wonder if such a centre still exists?. Great colour and some lovely shots of London when it was not the overcrowded town it is today.
Also a film 'Joe Brown at Clapham'. Anyone seen that one? A very young Joe Brown, who used to work on the Railway apparently and telling tales of the building of the railways and together with the Bruvvers, singing about the navvies work experiences. Always knew that he was a fair guitarist, but there's a song at the end which proves he was/is very good on the banjo too.

Tom Photiou likes this
Terry Sills

#6 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:45 am

40 years of collecting and ive never bought myself a railway film!!
The ones reviewed here look great and i would love to get hold of the one Terry mentions with Joe Brown and the London buses. I remember Roger Lily of movieland international tellinge that the railway films were always among the highest selling super 8s on his lists and catalouges.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#7 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:57 am

The first sound film I got was a Walton railway film in 1975, bought by my father on the day I got my Eumig 810D, I have a few other railway films, including a Standard 8 on the last day of the Wallingford Branch line, 1959. I remember the Joe Brown film being advertised, and saw it once on TV. There is an interesting one from Walton that has footage from the centenary of the Great Western Railway, and 1925 footage of a reconstruction of the Stockton & Darlington. The film on the London buses sounds interesting.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Last edited 04.11.2020 | Top

#8 by Greg Perry , Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:11 pm

For those who might be interested, there are a total of 78 railway/train films on Eivind's Super8database.

To see the list, go to the home page at 'super8database.com' and click on the "More" button at the top center of the page.

This will bring you to the list of all "Tags" as shown here:

Now, on the far right, you can scroll down alphabetically to get to the "R's" as shown here, and then click on the picture of the train or the text 'Railway':

Next, click on the red circled link 'List All Films'....

You will get a list with multiple pages of train films, many with descriptions and box cover art......

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Robert Crewdson and Iman Yahya
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Last edited 04.11.2020 | Top

#9 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:56 pm

Are steam locos as popular in the U.S. as they are in Britain?; the first film I ever wanted to own was ' Oh Mr Porter' after seeing it on TV in 1967; I thought it was the most wonderful film I had ever seen. Two years later I saw a notice saying the Oxford Railway Film Society would be screening a 16mm print. That was when I first thought about feature film ownership. I finally got a Super 8 copy from D.C.R. Films.

Greg Perry likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#10 by Greg Perry , Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:23 pm

Robert,

Yes, I would say there are many train enthusiasts here in the U.S.--and particularly the steam engines are much preferred over the newer diesels. My Dad was very interested in trains and the artwork in our living room were of trains...wish I knew what happened to those...As much as I am fond of steam engines, I also have to admit that I have no Super 8 films just about trains....will be working on correcting that...

Robert Crewdson likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#11 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:31 pm

Robert
I think so. There is certainly a big model steam railway following in the US as there is here. As a teenager I lived in a village on the London to Birmingham line and I travelled by train daily to the next town for school. The engines were nearly always steam locos and it was a joy to hang out of the window to smell the coal fired engine. In those days it was free for us school children for that journey. Sadly I haven't been on a train for many years since, other than the steam train from Corfe to Swanage, which is probably the same distance as the trip to school all those years ago. I would highly recommend that train journey if you're ever in the Swanage vicinity. I also did the trip from Paignton to Dartmouth, also highly recommended. There is something very special about steam engines. They are always very popular wherever they run. In the year of the Royal Jubilee a steam engine and Royal carriages ran through Weymouth on the tracks that were used to carry fruit and veg delivered by ship from the Channel Islands from Weymouth harbour to the railway line from Weymouth to Poole. I have got some stunning colour footage of that on 16mm, together with footage of the fruit produce being unloaded in Weymouth harbour. Sadly a relic of the past.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Robert Crewdson
Terry Sills

#12 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:35 pm

Only been to Swanage on a day trip, but would love to travel to Corfe Castle; there is some vintage footage of that line on one of those silver discs (Sorry). Have been on the Watercress Line (Hampshire), and i'm not far from the Didcot Railway Centre, home of the Great western Society. Terry, did you collect any of the Argo vinyl LPs; recordings by Peter Handford?

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#13 by Terry Sills ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:42 pm

Robert
No, never collected anything like that, although I think I know the name from film credits?

Terry Sills

#14 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:10 pm

Blimy, just had a look at the database, there are so many railway films, i couldn't help but spot this one,
Plymouth to Bristol 1985 200ft colour sound, movieland international.

What are the chances of finding this one i wonder!! I know its 1985 so not quite vintage, but interesting none the less.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#15 by Robert Crewdson , Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:13 pm

That would be interesting for you Tom; even some of the old diesels seem interesting now, like the Western class, but steam comes first. Terry, Peter Handford worked for the BBC, and he does appear in some film credits. Nice to have some local history.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Dark Star 4x400ft Iver Feature.
Death in the Sky, Derann 200ft b/w Sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor