The Punch of the Irish

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:56 pm

I have been having a clear out just to see what was in some of the tins and boxes I have.Well I opened this square one and inside as you can see ate three rolls of film.none of them are brittle nor smell all are double perforated .Anyway with gloves on I decided to try and see what was on one of the bits of film.So I threaded the film through the gate of a 35mm slide projector and this is what I found.
The film is called The Punch of the Irish released on 20 December 1920 ,silent film,in the USA.
The film was directed byNoel M Smithand stared Virginia Rappo and Albert Ray..It is known as a A Henry Lehman Comedy.This I have gleamed from IMDB but there is not much else on there.
I don’t have any way now of showing 35mm film at home so I just thought this was a bit unusual.one of the other bits of film seems to be from this film and the other looks completely different.
I put this article in this category as it seemed appropriate if not please advise in case I do this again as I have half a dozen tins of various sizes.
Some pics from my phone.

Anyone any idea what it’s about📽📽

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Tom Photiou and Robert Crewdson

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

RE: The Punch of the Irish

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:03 pm

Other than IMDB I couldn't find any info on this title. The B.F.I. don't have a copy or any reference to it. Somewhere on the Internet is a database of silent films, it was mentioned with a link in one of the forums.

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:08 pm

It's listed here, but the link didn't work; maybe the owner could tell you more. Would be interesting to know if any other copies are known, as 2/3rds of all silent films made are lost.https://www.silentera.com/PSFL/indexes/P.html

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Last edited 03.25.2020 | Top

#4 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:02 pm

Gwyn, i reckon you got something there, may be worth contacting the BFI in London to see if they can come up with any information.
It's certainly very rare.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:04 pm

Robert,
Thank you for your efforts, I also have tried the link and it comes up error.
I shall look more closely at what is in the tin over the next few days as I believe I have two sections of the film.I still have 35mm winners and plates etc to check film but it means hunting it out and setting it up which I will do in due course.
Maybe I have a lost film. I shall update as I find out more.
Thanks again.

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:29 pm

Quick update.one of the actors Virginia Rappe was the lady who died in “Fatty Arbuckle “hotel room and is regarded as the first real Hollywood scandal.There is numerous internet entries regarding her and her death and the downfall of Arbuckle,the film title is listed and I have found the film lasted 20mins.
The mystery deepens the film I mean.....

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Robert Crewdson

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#7 by Robert Crewdson , Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:49 pm

Like Tom, I think you have something there. Interesting what you have found so far. I also tried Google books and the British Newspaper archive, for any cinema listings, but nothing came up.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#8 by Greg Perry , Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:50 pm

Gwyn,

These film stills are fascinating! ...In the book, "A History of the Hal Roach Studios", Henry Lehrman (perhaps not Lehman), was a former Sennett employee who founded a short-comedy production company called L-KO. He also was the boyfriend of Virginia Rappe during the Fatty Arbuckle tragedy.

Here is an imdb link to Mr. Lehrman: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0499883/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Robert Crewdson

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#9 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:15 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments and various avenues to explore regarding this piece of film.
Here are some more pics of the second piece of film.Im not sure if the woman in the last couple of pics is Virginia I leave that to you to view and decide.As to whether this is a lost film I have my doubts but in the fullness of time I shall make some more enquires.
A few more pics starting with a poster I found:

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#10 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:18 pm

These photos have not come out as clear as the first ones,I used a viewer instead of projector might do a couple again.

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#11 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:13 pm

Amazed you managed to find a poster. Is this film on Sepia stock, or is it the way the photos come out. I've looked at lots of sites, including U.S. film archives, and not found one other print yet. Although it's 1920, it could still be lost. You might recall a TV series in the 70s about the history of Hollywood; interviewed many old silent stars and directors, etc, including Bessie Love and Hal Roach. They stated on there that no films of Tom Mix exist prior to 1914, yet there are many films much older, still extant.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#12 by Maurice Leakey , Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:23 pm

Be careful with this film as it's obviously a tinted nitrate print.

The poster reads:-

"Would you like to be a teetotaller if a pretty maid like this offered you a glass of punch? It would be a sad day for the eighteenth amendment. And she's only one of the attractive features in Henry Lehrman's riotous comedy. "

It's described as a short comedy.

Maurice

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 03.27.2020 | Top

#13 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:10 pm

Robert,I think the film has come out looking like sepia stock as I had the film very near the light source in daylight to try and get a reasonable image,I need to filed a way of getting a good clear picture with the equipment I have.Will keep trying as I have some more to look at.

Maurice,You are right yes it is nitrate and I am treating it with the respect it deserves.In one way only having small “bites” is an advantage but off course it would be nice to have the whole film.

I shall continue to try and find out what I can but at the moment friends who might be able to help are at this time not in a position to do so,but hopefully in the fullness of time.🎞🎞

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#14 by Robert Crewdson , Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:01 pm

I haven't been able to find the website I thought might be listed in a forum. The pictures are not bad Gwyn; the film looks interesting; would love to see the whole film if it exists somewhere.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Cleaning Film

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor