Assault on Precinct 13.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:04 pm

Viewed this one tonight so thought i would pop a review up . A PM Films release on a 600ft spool, this is a very well edited edition of this John Carpenter cult movie from 1976. This is one movie i would love in scope on 16mm. I saw this one upon its release in the cinema. The quality of the print is good, not as pin sharpe as later releases but i think this would be due to the change from widescreen to this 4:3 version. The sound is good if the esses are a little ssssss during the speech but it is more than acceptable. It is clear and not like those old muffled prints of the 70s from mountain. (sometimes). As many of our films these days, this one has the early signs of fade. We noted this in 2016 when we last viewed it and it hasnt got any worse. As you will see from the images it is still very good.

Here is the plot edited for this version,
During the day, three sequences of events occur parallel to one another: First, Lieutenant Ethan Bishop, a newly promoted CHP officer, is assigned to take charge of the decommissioned Anderson police precinct during the last few hours before it is permanently closed. The station is manned by a skeleton staff composed of Sergeant Chaney and the station's two secretaries, Leigh and Julie.
Across town, two of the Street Thunder warlords, along with two other gang members, drive around the neighbourhood looking for people to kill. One of the warlords shoots and kills a little girl, Kathy, and the driver of an ice-cream truck. This scene was requested to be cut by the distributor but Carpenter refused and would not allow the film to be released without it. Kathy's father is chased into the Anderson precinct. In shock, Lawson is unable to communicate to Bishop or Chaney what has happened to him.
Just before this, a prison bus commanded by starker stops at the station to find medical help for one of three prisoners being transported to the state prison. The prisoners are Napoleon Wilson, Wells, and Caudell, who is sick. As the prisoners are put into cells, the telephone lines go dead, and when Starker prepares to put the prisoners back on the bus, the gang opens fire on the precinct, using weapons fitted with silencers. In seconds, they kill Chaney, the bus driver, Caudell, Starker, and the two officers accompanying Starker. Bishop unchains Wilson from Starker's body and puts Wilson and Wells back into the cells. When the gang members cut the station's electricity and begin a second wave of shooting, Bishop sends Leigh to release Wells and Wilson, and they help Bishop and Leigh repel an attempted invasion, though Julie is killed in the fire-fight.
Bishop hopes that someone has heard the police weapons firing, but the neighbourhood is too sparsely populated for nearby residents to pinpoint the location of the noise. Wells is chosen to sneak out of the precinct through the sewer line and hot-wire a car, but is killed by a gang member hiding in the back seat. (in the feature this is seen by the viewer, in this 600 foot version the sound is used over the others waiting in the station, a clever little edit, However, two police officers responding to reports of gunfire find the dead body of a telephone repairman hanging from a pole near the police station, and call for backup.
As the gang rallies for an all-out final assault, Wilson, Leigh, and Bishop retreat to the basement, taking the still-catatonic Lawson with them. Protected by a large durable sign, the gang then storms the building and rush the survivors. Bishop shoots a tank full of acetylene gas, which explodes and kills all the gang members in the basement. The remaining gang members retreat as more police support arrives to secure the station. Venturing down into the basement, the police officers find dozens of dead and badly burned gang members strewn about the hallway; the only survivors are Bishop, Leigh, Wilson, and Lawson. Bishop asks Wilson to walk out of the station with him.
End.

Looking for, Joe Kidd / The Outlaw Josey Wales on 16mm. Good prints only.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Gwyn Morgan, Del Phillipson, Greg Perry and Vidar Olavesen

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 07.13.2018 | Top

RE: Assault on Precinct 13.

#2 by Del Phillipson , Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:13 am

Another great review Tom, thank you. I have had this a few times over the years, I did find all mine to be very grainy and picture was a bit on the soft side, love the film though.

Greg Perry likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#3 by Tom Photiou , Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:26 am

Thats exactly right Dell, its a pity they didn't mask it for widescreen as this would have improved things drastically.

Del Phillipson likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:26 pm

Got this too, seen it three times. I love Carpenter

Attached pictures:
26AFB8AF-BB8D-4D5C-8121-44AC361A68E0.jpeg   3BF690CD-BA33-4B6F-A67D-D3040BF46873.jpeg   5036D606-45CD-402F-AF6F-799BFDA27A16.jpeg   6D42D1DF-D01E-4607-AFA2-8899DFFD6EDA.jpeg   97B0B3DD-3163-4CC3-BBD2-30A7AC6D65EA.jpeg   B7D63371-F28B-41E8-A72E-46EBAD057D38.jpeg  

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Tom Photiou, Greg Perry and Del Phillipson

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#5 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:51 pm

Blimy Vidar, only three times, How long have you had that copy,? I think ours has been projected at least 25 times in the years we have had it.
And by the way, with that in mind, for those geezers who say Elmo's scratch films, take a look at my screenshots. Our Elmo's are good boys.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:55 pm

Probably around 5 years, but having a few thousands films, makes it impossible to rewatch every one loads of times. Alien, Star Wars and Empire have been watched dozens of times

Tom Photiou likes this

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:07 pm

4 years

;-) Checked my post on Facebook

Vidar Olavesen