For sale: RPM Check - measures true shutter speed of projector.

#1 by Stuart Reid , Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:18 pm

I have 2 Jamara RPM Check RC200 devices which accurately measure the shutter speed of either a 3 or 2 blade film projector. For more details on the device look here: https://shop.van-eck.net/DV-0038.html

Asking £18 each plus £3 p&p

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

RE: For sale: RPM Check - measures true shutter speed of projector.

#2 by Iman Yahya , Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:02 pm

PM sent :)

Iman Yahya  
Iman Yahya
Date registered 03.28.2017
ThankYou 4

#3 by Stuart Reid , Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:39 pm

One left!

Stuart Reid
ThankYou 37

#4 by Paul Browning , Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:14 pm

I'll take it Stuart ......

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Great device, excellent price Stuart!

Did you buy these two from Edwin, Stuart?

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#6 by Stuart Reid , Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:43 am

Hi Andrew, no I lucked out on a nearby shop who were clearing stock so I took advantage!

Stuart Reid
ThankYou 37

#7 by Stuart Reid , Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:44 am

Both now sold, thanks.

Stuart Reid
ThankYou 37

#8 by Stuart Reid , Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Paul, I've just popped yours in the post, should be with you tomorrow.

Stuart Reid
ThankYou 37

#9 by Paul Browning , Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Well tried out the new gadget from Stuart last night on the beaulieu, which told me the projector was running at 26 fps ?, but I could not tell on the film I ran a couple of nights ago, Vampire Circus, so some small adjustments needed. Thanks again Stuart, simple little tool works a treat ........

Stuart Reid sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Do you believe it really was running at 26fps Paul?
At just over 8% faster than normal, I'd expect this speed inaccuracy to be most audible while listening to the pitch of the tracks, if it was?

It'd be an unusually and very uncharacteristically high running speed for one of these in locked down "fix" mode if 26fps really is the speed it is running at.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:16 am | Top

#11 by Paul Browning , Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:21 pm

It was a short test really Andrew, but the beaulieu was on the stand so I gave it a go, it was not running for long though, but this meter showed 158, so divide by 6 = 26.33333, it responded to the varispeed setting and then locked at what I thought was 24 fps. i'll check the other machines over the weekend, i'll do the GS 1200 tonight. I will run them up for the same time again each time, if its a true and accurate measurement of fps, with a little discretion then I'll have to get me tools out to get at them, one by one........

Stuart Reid likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#12 by Tom Photiou , Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:44 am

ive always been curious with these gadgets. ive always used my ears to tell if a machine is too fast or too slow.
having said that, the projectors i use i guess are either 24fps 18fps as set by the parts within, no room for adjustments. I did a posting recently about a supplier sending me an awful lower pulley which was completely the wrong size, this made my projector run ridiculously slow so i had a new one made locally at a size i guessed on based on the original and one from a an older 1200, (not HD).
When i fitted it i could hear it was slightly too fast, probably 27/28fps, i had 0.25mm shaved off it and,(to my ears) i think its fine. We have viewed several movies on it now and no one in the audience has commented about it being the wrong speed.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#13 by Paul Browning , Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:34 pm

Checked the GS 1200 xenon last night with the rpm gadget, 24 fps = 23.8 fps, 18 fps = 16.6 fps ? , rechecked the other beaulieu ( the pedro circuit board ) 24 fps = 16.66 fps, 18 fps =14.4 fps ?. I knew this one was not correct but not by how much. Rechecked the first beaulieu and this was still out on the 24 fps fixed setting, did the GS xenon again after 10 minutes, 24 fps = 24.5 fps, so a little drift, which I expected. I thought my hearing perception was better than it actually is, I guessed all speeds were correct, but not so. I think it needs though a longer test on all the projectors to let them warm up and settle down on the power supply, may get a better average overall, we'll see.......

Stuart Hilliker likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:57 pm

All of these electronically driven machines shouldn't need too long to "warm up" Paul, as I'm sure you already know.

That is the whole point of them being electronically driven, to gain far far greater accuracy of a true driven speed for the film.
A few minutes may prove a little necessary just to get the mechanical aspects at temperature first but this is only to even up the tenths of a frame per second to gain best possible accuracy when trying to sync etc etc.

Yours are a good way off by the sounds of things, all except the GS Xenon.
The Beaulieu now has the excellent calibration procedure as submitted by the very talented Phil Murat here.

This should allow with the aid of a frequency meter, the facility to trim the speed to gain far greater accuracy of true running speeds and also keep the capstan speed tied to the main motor transport speed.

The slots on the pots all generally finish up in the exact same plane when the machine is running correctly.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:01 pm | Top

#15 by Paul Browning , Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Its my experience of using grinding machines that lead me to this conclusion Andrew. When your grinding to a component to 5 microns, you don't trust the electronic readout on the machine even when it says the size is this that or the other, hands on micrometer and measure for at least the first two hours minimum, can show a machine fluctuating by 2 thou in some cases, as these devices are expanding and contracting at different rates, and with a projector with so many different parts including electronic and there age and amount of use they've had, a level playing field in time is, I believe a fair way to check the frame rate, other than Phils write ups......

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:49 pm

You may be right Paul, but 3 or 4 frames per second is a good way off centre line.
The SH 30 was the same when I got it. It ran permanently slow and you could instantly tell from the dialogue.

It is fairly straightforward on this machine to adjust the pots' to give you the desired +/-3fps around the fixed speed of 24/18 fps.

No capstan motor of course to concern ourselves with on these or the gs's so more of a straightforward approach.
There isn't much variation at all on the SH 30 unless you opt for it by using the variable speed control.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:51 pm | Top

Wanted Information & Interviews For Documentary
WTB: 9.5mm CIR splicer

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor