2001 A space odyssey

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:18 pm

I dont normally review trailers but this is one i forgot about, i also viewed it with a view to sell it as i was sure it would be red, all the others i see for sale are.
This one is fair length, (80ft), and is flat but masked for widescreen therefore the image, despite my poor screenshots, is very very good and very sharp. Colours are still very good and the sound excellent.
The trailer opens with that first shot of the sunrise with the apes in screen, then as the narrator begins the trailer is a fast moving shortened version of the movie, the only thing missing is the baby in the bubble shot, the parts shown are also quite generous and capture some of the classic special effects shots which most of us are so familiar with now. A great trailer if you can get one in this condition.

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Greg Perry

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 02.26.2018 | Top

RE: 2001 A space odyssey

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:22 pm

I took my nephew to see this, but to be honest, I left the cinema not understanding it. I do remember the apes throwing a bone in the air, and then you see the spaceship. Afterwards I bought a cassete tape of the soundtrack. That's a good looking print Tom, you can see it's very sharp,

Robert Crewdson

#3 by Tom Photiou , Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:30 pm

Roger from Movieland international here in Plymouth lent me the full scope scope feature on Super 8. My then Girlfriend sat through it with me, i think it was a topic of conversation for months after, not in a good way, she was bored shirtless And so was i.
If there was ever a film that would have made a great scope 3 x 400 its this one. All the padding removed, it would have been a good package movie for our gauge.
Incidentally, Roger told me the story of how he got this one brand new for £40.
When Walton films were closing he was invited up to buy some of the stock along with other dealers. Roger said he went to the top floor and could not believe the stuff lying around. He picked this film up and asked how much and the boss said, "oh i didn't know that one was there, call it £40 cash". Roger snapped his arm off. Roger did say with the fact the guy didn't know what he had it's a no wonder they went to wall. Unfortunatly they ventured into VHS like others did. Of all the companies that closed, this one shut way too early.
I think We were offered it for £150 but after seeing it i have to say it's a historically important and brilliant film but not for me.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:41 pm

Very nice trailer Tom the best bits of the film,I to did not get it.I have shown it on 35mm and in its digital form,the best thing I remember about the 35mm print was all the original reel changes so I did not need to sit through the film over and over again.Fortunately the digital show was a one of.
I know it’s awell thought of film but it just doesn’t do it for me.📽📽📽

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Stuart Reid , Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:33 am

Bloody Hell Tom, I'd bite anyone's hand off for a print of this feature at £150!

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:46 am

I'm guessing when Roger offered this to Tom all those years ago Stuart, many a top feature was entering Derann's used lists for around the same amount and new low fade prints could still be purchased from around £200 onwards.

Anyone of sound mind would grab this offer now at this price of course. It would be bargain of the century if in good condition.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:17 pm | Top

#7 by Tom Photiou , Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Oh yes, if i knew then what i know now i think i would have 5 of every 80s/90s release, as i'm sure we all would have.
The chances are that feature could well be red by now, when i viewed it the print was brand new, mine was only the second viewing after Rogers. I do remember the print being superb. I was just bored stiff, if i had that today i wouldn't have got past the second reel.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#8 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:56 pm

Why is it so popular if people can't understand it?. I saw it at some cinema that was in private hands in Oxford. When I got to my seat, there was this tripod screen in front of the stage, and I wondered what it was doing there. I thought 'someone will have to come and move that before the film starts'; anyway, the lights dimmed and we saw it on a home movie screen. That was disappointing to start with. I never went to that cinema again.

Tom Photiou likes this
Robert Crewdson

#9 by Tom Photiou , Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:29 pm

I think it was probably the special effects at the time that made it a milestone, and not a CGI in site.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

21 Hours at Munich 400ft Colour Sound Major 8

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor