Low Maintenance, Inexpensive 16mm Projector?

#1 by Paul Thrussell , Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Hello, all!

I only own a few 16mm films but lately I've been wanting to get into collecting more of them. I lucked out and got an IB print of one of my favorite lesser-known Looney Tunes cartoons on eBay pretty inexpensively as an early christmas present to myself , so I dug out my B&H 2592 that I'd bought locally for I believe $40 a few years back. It's in great visual condition, and I'd never had any trouble with it before when running the half-dozen or so random shorts/educational films I have. Unfortunately, this time from the moment I turned it on it began making kind of a crunching/grinding noise, so I popped the back open, and it looks like not only is the worm gear cracked all the way through (which from what I understand isn't normally a completely fatal problem), but when it hits the regular gear underneath it seems to seize and refuses to move. Looked into replacing it, and it sounds like there's way too much calibration and tinkering required for my skill level, and it would cost me probably $500 Canadian to get it repaired professionally, after shipping and etc, and I definitely can't afford that right now.

So I'm thinking I'm in the market for a new projector. I love the later-model B&Hs, but the ones that have been refurbished are still way out of my price range, and I really don't want to drop money on one that's going to also have a cracked worm gear or other problems. I'd like to get something that uses newer, cheaper bulbs, doesn't require tubes, and doesn't have any major common issues with it (I'm fine with replacing belts, etc but if it's something that requires a lot of disassembling or calibration to repair, that's not really within my level of expertise.) I don't care if it's a manual, auto, or slot load, although something that doesn't chew perfs like crazy is always nice. The biggest thing for me is cost, I can't afford anything too extravagant, and the nice refurbished ones for sale through dealers would typically run me at least $500+ after shipping. Big plus if it uses ELC and BAK bulbs as I have a couple each of those that I'd bought for the B&H, but no big deal if not.

Was hoping that someone could suggest models that might fit these needs. Do I have Cadillac tastes on a Honda Civic budget? I just don't want to spend a few hundred dollars on something that's going to end up in the same situation as my B&H. I know it's an expensive hobby, just looking to get into it without sinking a ton of cash right from the get-go.

Thanks, and sorry for the big wall of text!

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Paul Thrussell
Date registered 02.24.2016
home: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Last edited 12.12.2017 | Top

RE: Low Maintenance, Inexpensive 16mm Projector?

#2 by Dave Guest , Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:12 pm

I have plenty 16mm projectors from £75.00 to £800.00 all fully serviced and in perfect working order drop me a line on
dwgdodgems@hotmail.co.uk
I also have films in stock as well thanks david

Paul Thrussell sais Thank You!

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#3 by Paul Thrussell , Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Quote: Dave Guest wrote in post #2
I have plenty 16mm projectors from £75.00 to £800.00 all fully serviced and in perfect working order drop me a line on
dwgdodgems@hotmail.co.uk
I also have films in stock as well thanks david

Thanks, Dave! I'm in Canada, would the voltage/frequency difference be a problem?

Paul Thrussell

#4 by Maurice Leakey , Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:28 am

Paul
I would suggest an Eiki projector as a replacement.
Probably models in the ranges of RT or NT. They do not have any problems like a defective worm and they should be reasonably priced as there are a lot of them out there.
You can use your existing projector lamps but would need to buy new exciter lamps as they use a different type from the Bell & Howell, a BRK.

Paul Thrussell sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 12.13.2017 | Top

#5 by Paul Thrussell , Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks, Maurice! I'm definitely leaning towards an Eiki after seeing your response and having done further reading elsewhere. On a related note, my university has a couple of the xenon ones set up for changeover that they don't use very often anymore, kind of tragic as they're beautiful machines.

Paul Thrussell

#6 by Maurice Leakey , Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Paul
Interesting to hear about the xenon Eikis. It is regrettable that some such lamps are almost impossible to source now, and the ones that are on sale can cost as much as an Eiki with its standard ELC lamp.
Also, a standard model is easier to carry around !

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Four latest additions.
Do HUGE split reels exist?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor