High Plains Drifter 1 x 600ft

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:04 pm

This is without doubt one of my favourite Eastwood westerns and definatly one of the best edits that U8 put out as a 2 x 400 footer.
As with many U8's there is a little colour fade on it now but colours are still pretty good, the second half has a lot less fade which is just as well as the fiery climax is all set at night.
My print is in good condition with no scratches which after 35 years and all Elmo's is a pretty good record and shows if you look after your machines lines are not always inevitable.
This would be a great IB Tech scope 16mm movie.

Here is the plot edited for this version,
A mysterious stranger with no name (Eastwood) rides out of the desert, into the isolated mining town of Lago, on the shore of a small lake in an unnamed western territory. Three men follow him to the barbershop. When they challenge him, he kills all three with little effort. Attractive townswoman Callie Travers (Mariana Hill) deliberately bumps into him in the street, and loudly insults him. He drags her into the livery stable and rapes her.[
In a flashback, Jim Duncan (Buddy Van Horn), a federal marshal bearing an uncanny resemblance to the Stranger, is whipped to death in front of the hotel by outlaws Stacey Bridges (Geoffrey Lewis) and brothers Dan and Cole Carlin (Dan Vadis and Anthony James) as the people of Lago look on.
Sheriff Sam Shaw (Walter Barnes) approaches the Stranger and offers him the job previously held by the men he killed—defending the town from Bridges and the Carlins, who are about to be released from jail. He declines. Shaw, in desperation, offers him anything he wants in return.
The Stranger instructs the townspeople in defensive tactics, but they clearly lack the skills or courage for the job. He also orders that every building in town be painted red.
Meanwhile, Bridges and his gang have been wreaking havoc on their way to Lago. The Stranger harasses them with dynamite and long-range rifle fire, leaving them to ponder the identity of their mysterious attacker. Returning to Lago, the Stranger inspects the preparations—town painted red,
The Bridges gang arrives and easily overcomes the inept resistance of the townspeople. Bridges shoots several of the corrupt civic leaders who double-crossed them. By nightfall the town is in flames, and the terrified townspeople are huddled in the saloon. A mysterious sound is heard in the street; when Cole Carlin walks outside to investigate, the criminals and townspeople listen in horror as he is whipped to death. Dan Carlin is found dead too, hanging from another whip. At last the Stranger reveals himself, beats Bridges to the draw, and kills him..
On his way out of town the following morning, the Stranger pauses at the cemetery as Mordecai is finishing a new grave marker. “I never did know your name,” Mordecai says. "Yes, you do," the Stranger replies. As he rides past a bewildered Mordecai into the desert whence he came, the writing on the new headstone is revealed: Marshal Jim Duncan — Rest in Peace.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 08.15.2017 | Top

RE: High Plains Drifter 1 x 600ft

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Got a 200' Black and white one and the 2x400' too. Great film for sure

Tom Photiou likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#3 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:35 am

I like this edit as well, I actually had a copy last year that was in better condition than Tom's, it was on Poly stock, so could have been a late re-print on early LPP, I'm not sure, but it was a great print.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, David Alligan and Tom Photiou
Barry Attwood

#4 by Del Phillipson , Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:20 pm

Great print Tom, fantastic colours, I've had this title so many times over the years and they have all been faded, well done for getting a good one.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Del Phillipson
Date registered 07.18.2017
ThankYou 137

#5 by David Skillern , Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:25 pm

mine is still in its original packing and on last viewing was in very good shape - bought it from Barry - several years ago

The following members like this: Del Phillipson and Tom Photiou
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#6 by Tom Photiou , Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Barry, like Jaws, if you ever get an LPP copy of this please mail me mate.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Helter Skelter 2x 400ft colour. Iver films
Hollywood and the stars. The Oscars. Moments of greatness

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor