The Fog. Full Feature Scope

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:18 pm

This is one first class scope release from Derann. This is the copy i purchased from Roger Lily here in Plymouth's Movieland International. Roger did not like modern horror films or violent movies of any kind so when this came in as a part of a collection he rang me explained this and said i could have it that weekend for £80, suffice to say i jumped in the car and drove 20 minutes to his house and secured the print. There is a faint black line to the right on reel 3 but as the movies is set almost entirely at night this line becomes invisible for much of the reel. Looking back now this was virtually giving it away so we took it home, cleaned it and viewed it then mounted it on two lovely Eumig 800ft spools.
For those who may have lived on another planet for years ,here is the plot
The movie opens with John Houseman telling the ghost story of the legend of Antonio Bay.
As the Californian coastal town of Antonio Bay is about to celebrate its 100th anniversary, paranormal activity begins to occur at the stroke of midnight during the opening credits. Town priest Father Malone is in his church when a piece of masonry falls from the wall, revealing a cavity containing an old journal, his grandfather's diary from a century ago. It reveals that in 1880, six of the founders of Antonio Bay (including Malone's grandfather) deliberately sank and plundered a clipper ship named the Elizabeth Dane. The ship was owned by Blake, a wealthy man with leprosy who wanted to establish a leper colony nearby. Gold from the ship was used to build Antonio Bay and its church.
Meanwhile, three fishermen are out at sea when a strange, glowing fog envelops their trawler. The fog brings with it the Elizabeth Dane, carrying the vengeful revenants of Blake and his crew who kill the fishermen. Meanwhile, town resident Nick Castle is driving home and picks up a young hitchhiker named Elizabeth Solley. As they drive towards town, all the truck's windows inexplicably shatter.
The following morning, local radio DJ Stevie Wayne is given a piece of driftwood by her son Andy; it is inscribed with the word "DANE", and Andy says he found it on the beach. Intrigued, Stevie takes it with her to the lighthouse where she broadcasts her radio show. She sets the wood down next to a tape player that is playing, but the wood inexplicably begins to seep water, causing the tape player to short out. A mysterious man's voice emerges from the tape player swearing revenge, and the words "6 must die" appear on the wood before it bursts into flame. Stevie quickly extinguishes the fire, but then sees that the wood once again reads "DANE" and the tape player begins working normally again.
After locating the missing trawler, Nick and Elizabeth find the corpse of Dick Baxter with his eyes gouged out. The other two fishermen are missing, one of whom is the husband of Kathy Williams, who is overseeing the town's centennial celebrations. While Elizabeth is alone in the autopsy room, Baxter's corpse rises from the autopsy table and approaches her. As Elizabeth screams, Nick and coroner Dr. Phibes rush back into the room where they see the corpse lifeless again on the floor, upon which it has carved the number 3. That evening, as the town's celebrations begin, local weatherman Dan calls Stevie at the radio station to tell her that another fog bank has appeared and is moving towards town. As they are talking, the fog gathers outside the weather station and Dan hears a knock at the door. He answers it and is slaughtered by the revenants as Stevie listens in horror. As Stevie proceeds with her radio show, the fog starts moving inland, disrupting the town's telephone and power lines. Using a back-up generator, Stevie begs her listeners to go to her house and save her son when she sees the fog closing in from her lighthouse vantage point. As the fog envelops Stevie's house, the revenants kill her son's babysitter, Mrs. Kobritz, ( i thought she called coldtits )They then pursue Andy, but Nick arrives just in time to rescue him.
Stevie advises everyone to head to the town's church. Once inside, Nick, Elizabeth, Andy, Kathy, her assistant Sandy, and Father Malone take refuge in a back room as the fog arrives outside. Inside the room, they locate a gold cross in the wall cavity which is made from the stolen gold. As the revenants begin their attack, Malone takes the gold cross out into the chapel. Knowing that they have returned to take six lives in lieu of the six original conspirators who led them to their deaths, Malone offers the gold and himself to Blake to spare the others. At the lighthouse, more revenants attack Stevie, trapping her on the roof. Inside the church, Blake seizes the gold cross, which begins to glow. Nick pulls Malone away from the cross seconds before it disappears in a blinding flash of light along with Blake and his crew. The revenants at the lighthouse also disappear, and the fog vanishes. Later that night, Malone is alone in the church pondering why Blake did not kill him and thus take six lives. The fog then reappears inside the church along with the revenants, and Blake decapitates Malone.

It has to be said as always with these screenshots, you really cannot appreciate from these how good the image is here. Solid, sharp, no fade, great deep colours and excellent sound. For £80 i am not complaining at all about the few light lines on reel 3.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Eivind Mork, Gwyn Morgan and David Alligan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: The Fog. Full Feature Scope

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:22 pm

Great film, great print Tom. You could quadruple your money in a heartbeat, several times over I'm guessing. Very well done once again! :))

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Oooo, the envy ... Love it, great looking

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#4 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:29 pm

What i forgot to mention is that during the start and occasionally until the titles end there is a sound on the track that is like a fax machine sending, (remember those?). It isn't continuous, it starts off for a few seconds, dissapears, comes back again for a few seconds and off for a while and back again, it doesn't affect the actual sound of the film in any way, its just an annoyance.
Roger suggested that Darren would re record this reel for free but by that time we had joined it up onto 2 800s. Nothing was cut on reel 1 except the very end,(obviously), but due to that Derann said they could not re record it. What a pisser!
After 20 years of ownership it no longer bothers us and so far no audience has ever mentioned it, ( i know now where i can drop the sound down if thats the only sound) but once the titles are gone everything is 100%

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:37 pm

A fairly relatively short film for a re recording if perfection is ever desired.

I've had some leaders before now with all kinds of strange noises and conversation on them from the original Derann soundtracks.

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:38 pm | Top

#6 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 pm

perfection is always desired.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#7 by David Skillern , Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:26 am

I'd love this film Tom as I would also love Commando - I live in hope for both - but at present - i've been collecting 16mm and at present I have a backlog of 10 features still waiting to be screened.

David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Very nice Tom,I do like John Carpenters films especially Assault on Precinct 13 which I would like to get on 16mm.
Roger Lilley,now theres a blast from the past ,what a nice gentleman,bought and sold quite a few films and equipment with him still have my full length Calamity Jane on S8 I got
from him at a good price.I know he had a son but I don't think he continued with the film side but was seduced by the dark side.
Still a great print Tom

The following members like this: Nigel Higgins and Tom Photiou

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#9 by David Alligan , Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:24 pm

A great Halloween film to show the audience, I had this and it went down very well when I showed it at my Halloween special

Tom Photiou likes this
David Alligan  
David Alligan
Date registered 07.11.2016
home: Felixstowe, Suffolk, UK
ThankYou 45

#10 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:19 pm

David S, what features do you have on 16 to watch, wish i had a few more,
Gwyn, we have many fond memories of Roger, i think we visited him at least once a month, my trusty original Elmo came from Roger at £375, his face when i dumped the the cash on the table aged 18 was a picture, i will put up the story of this purchase on another thread, some of you will have a smile when you read it. I also think the John Carpenter films are great, he didn't like CGI and even on Dracula 2000 in an interview stated that horror films always look better with make up effects & they certainly do. His use of music he does himself in many of his movies is also very effective although for The Thing he did hire the maestro, Ennio Morriconne who did a great moody soundtrack.
Dave A, Yes this is a great Halloween movie, in fact the last i viewed this print was Halloween 7 years ago. (A Crime not to have viewed it since until last night). We would very much like to find Halloween on 8 in scope or 16mm.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and David Alligan
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

Last edited 06.21.2017 | Top

#11 by Michael Lattavo , Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:55 pm

Pictures look great, and thanks for the description - I'm embarrassed to say I have never seen it!

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#12 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Strictly speaking Michael, if you saw this for the first time on TV you would probably not think too much of it, a mediocre horror film, but when you view it on the scope screen with the contrast and imager grading of this super 8 print it becomes a very good horror film from the 80s.
As mentioned on the other channel, when this is shown on TV, even via DVD, the night scenes often look almost daylight and the eerie green fog looses it eerieness.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:15 pm

I think there are many films that come alive only by the means of being able to view them on real film.
They don't particularly push anyone's buttons having watched them repeatedly on small screen tv with a completely different viewing experience regarding contrast and atmospherics that you gain from watching these in the dark on a large screen and with subtle grain, vibrant lush colours and shimmer etc etc.
Some say they wouldn't pay 99p for the same movie on DVD and in some cases I'd agree.
The difference is, when that's the only choice they have to watch it on, and as such, gauge a film by, then these same people would never understand why film nuts would pay large sums to screen movies like The Fog on real film.
They will never know what they are missing!
An altogether completely different experience in so so many cases.

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 pm | Top

#14 by David Skillern , Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi Tom,

I will let you know tomorrow - including the ones yet to see

David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#15 by David Skillern , Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi Tom - ill start by telling you the ones i own and have viewed - Return of the Pink Panther, California Suite, Stardust (David Essex), Abbott and Costello in Here Come the Co eds, Harvey with James Stewart, Breakheart Pass with Charles Bronson, Evil under the Sun,
Wild Geese 2, Nearest and Dearest - the feature film, a Flintstone cartoon and Mickey's Christmas Carol. Now for the ones still to be viewed : Little Fauss and Big Halsy - Robert Redford, The last Hard Men - Charlton Heston and James Coburn, The Last Embrace with Roy Schieder, Swashbuckler with Robert Shaw, Sunburn with Farrah Fawcett and Charles Grodin, The Valachi Papers with Charles Bronson, Lassiter with Tom Selleck, Mr Quilp with Anthony Newley, The Mirror Crack'd with Angela Lansbury, Every Days a Holiday - 1960's Musical Comedy with Ron Moody and Freddie and the Dreamers. Thats all for now.

Tom Photiou likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#16 by David Ollerearnshaw , Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Roger Lilley Movieland released The Riddle Of The Sands in scope full feature a stunning print. He had Looney Looney Movies too I believe.

This is his sons website Aarchive Film Productions

I bought The Fog new from Derann. A few of those scope titles work much better on super 8mm than TV.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#17 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:56 pm

David S, a great selection of 16mm titles there. You have enough films to view to keep you going for a while there. Still building up a small collection at the moment and hopefully David G will be sending a list of scope titles to me when he is less busy.
David O, yes Roger did change names a few times over the years. It was Roger who started off the Plymouth History DVD's and here is a surprise that none of you knew, As well as writing a factual book, and a fact based novel both available on Amazon and other places by Brothers first work was in collaboration with Roger. My Brother wrote everything and Roger did the DVD production,here

http://www.aarchive.co.uk/documentaries/..._the_civil_war/

If you check out this website on the "about archivee you will see the story of it all began. We miss Roger very much, he always had time to chat and loved it, he always rang us first when a new collection was coming in so we could get first dabs. A true friend and many happy years.

Over the years we think about 25/30% of our current collection came from Roger, Plymouth home movie co, The loony movie company, Movieland International, The loony movie company.

Stuart Reid likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#18 by David Skillern , Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Tom,

I bought Halloween in scope from Derann many years ago

David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#19 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:06 pm

I bet it looks great on the scope screen David. Have to say i think i would prefer to get Halloween over Die Hard only for the fact that it will be on LPP and pre stripe. The very best of the film stocks.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

The Flintstones. Little Bam Bam 400ft colour sound
The French Connection (1971)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor