Earth Vs The Flying Saucers 1 x 400ft B/W Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:19 pm

This is classic 50s Sci-Fi with, as we all know, special effects by the one and only Ray Harryhausen & Produced by the one & only Charles H Schneer.
A relatively common release on 8 in both 400, 200 sound and silent editions. This 400ft version is a very satisfactory cutdown from an 83 minute feature with only a minimal amount of that columbia narrator, and it actually isn't corny or in the way.
Here is the plot, (with the aid of our mate wiki, edited to cover this version).
Scientist Dr. Russell Marvin (Hugh Marlowe) and his new bride Carol (Joan Taylor) are driving to work when a flying saucer appears overhead. Without proof of the encounter, other than a tape recording of the ship's sound, Dr. Marvin is hesitant to notify his superiors. He is in charge of Project Skyhook, an American space program that has already launched 10 research satellites into orbit. General Hanley (Morris Ankrum), Carol's father, informs Marvin that many of the satellites have since fallen back to Earth.
When a saucer lands at Skyhook the next day, a group of aliens in metallic suits exit, and the infantry guards open fire, resulting in the death of one alien, while others and the saucer are protected by a force field. The aliens proceed to kill everyone at the facility but the Marvins; General Hanley is captured and taken away in the saucer. Too late, Russell discovers and decodes a message on his tape recorder: the aliens wanted to meet with Dr. Marvin and landed in peace at Skyhook for that purpose, but instead, they were met with violence. Impatient to conduct that meeting after everything has gone sideways, Marvin contacts the aliens and steals away to meet them, followed closely by Carol and Major Huglin (Donald Curtis). They are taken aboard a saucer, where the aliens extract knowledge directly from the General's brain. The aliens explain they are last of their species, having fled from their destroyed solar system. They have shot down all the launched satellites, fearing them as weapons. As proof of their power, the aliens give Dr. Marvin the coordinates of a naval destroyer that opened fire on them, and which they have since destroyed. Horrified by the cold, unsympathetic nature of the aliens, Carol begins to break down while Marvin tries to remain calm. Major Huglin and the Marvin's are released with the message that the aliens want to meet with the world's leaders in 56 days in Washington, D.C. to negotiate an occupation of Earth.
Marvin develops a counter-weapon against their flying saucers, which he later successfully tests against a single saucer.
Groups of alien saucers then attack Washington, but are destroyed by Dr. Marvin's sonic weapon. The defenders also discover that the aliens can be easily killed by simple small arms gunfire once they are outside the force fields of their saucers.
With the alien threat eliminated, we then go to that corny 50s Hollywood ending as the couple run into the sea. All happy & gay, (can I say that?)

The quality of this cutdown is typical of Columbia's home movies of the time, the b/w print is pin sharp and hardly a mark on this 35 year old print, the sound is superb, and through our old pioneer stereo amp is pretty outstanding given that this is a 1950s movie.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Earth Vs The Flying Saucers 1 x 400ft B/W Sound

#2 by Eivind Mork , Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:49 pm

I have a 200' version of this. I love the sci-fi from that era.

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#3 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:57 pm

I have this too a great cutdown. Is the narrator the original one from the feature?.

I think that the 200ft and 400ft can make a 600ft version.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi David, no this one is the home movie narrator, its actually done very well and only a few words rather than the usual pointless ramblings that spoilt so many of there releases. The one that really peed me off was Butch Cassidy, it was ok until that last shot when they run out into gunshots and freeze frame and that dickhead states the obvious right over one of the most iconic film endings made. grrrrrr
I ended up selling it and it was a dam good print to.It just ruined the whole film.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#5 by Eivind Mork , Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:32 am

Just a thought: It should be possible to re-record the ending with the original sound and get rid of the narrator?

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#6 by Tom Photiou , Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Thats true, something i'm not very good at. Come to think of it, errr, i wouldn't know where to start

Hey is that right about the 200 & 400? Is the content different?
Elvind, get screening old bean, lets have a review of the 200, then i may have top look out for the 200 if its different.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#7 by Eivind Mork , Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:02 pm

I must see it again to give a good review, but here my screenshots when I saw it:

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

Duck Soup 400ft U8 B/W
Eastwood in Action, Behind the scenes The Outlaw Josey Wales

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor