Blind Danger.(Day of the triffids) 400ft Colour Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:01 pm

Here is a 400ft colour sound Jumbo version, flat, that I never knew existed.

I spotted it on ebay and put in my bid but was outbid. However, along came the second chance e-mail and I decided to snap it up.
This version is called Blind Danger and is basically some excerpts from The Day of the Triffids concentrating on, as the title suggests the blinded population. This is a film that needs no introduction.
I knew it was released in an array of versions, b/w, colour, scope and flat, I also knew there were a couple, (I think) of 200 foot extracts. This 400 footer is completely new to me.
It opens with a caption explaining the meteorite storm which caused everyone looking at it to loose there eyesight. Then we start the reel with Bill Masen (Howard Keel), a merchant navy officer, in hospital. He discovers that while he has been waiting for his accident-damaged eyes to heal, an unusual meteor shower has blinded most people on Earth. Once he leaves the hospital, Masen finds people all over London struggling to stay alive in the face of their new affliction. Some survive by cooperating while others simply fight, but it is apparent that after just a few days society is collapsing.
He rescues a school girl, Susan (Janina Faye), from a crashed train, (the crash is shown in this this excerpt), They leave London in an abandoned car. In the foggy countryside they get stuck in the mud and just manage to escape an attacking Triffid. Great stuff. Later in daylight they arrive at a dock, we hear on the radio an aircraft captain pleading to be talked down, on the plane the passengers panic when a boy asks if the captain is also blind. Then, the plane crashes to the ground, all dead! This is then followed by and ending caption explaining the end. This is a weird way to finish a 400 ft version, but very unique & only mountain would do do something as bad as this after a tense 18 minutes.
As I understand it many of the features in colour have faded, (I know there are reports of a few good ones left), and also many have a fairly soft focus like many early scope films. This one had 100% excellent colours and, (for mountain films), a dam good focus. Clearly there is a little bit of sourced material wear but nothing to shout home about. The only pity is simply, nothing shown at the start of the actual meteorite storm, this would have made this a fine souvenir of a classic British post apocalyptic movie from 1961.
One question for you blokes, what was the quality like on the 200 ft versions, what were their titles, do any of them show the opening meteorite storm? If so, are the colours and focus good?
IF SO, do you have one to sell me?
IF NOT, why not?

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

The following members like this: Nigel Higgins and Gwyn Morgan

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 01.26.2017 | Top

RE: Blind Danger.(Day of the triffids) 400ft Colour Sound

#2 by Nigel Higgins , Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:08 pm

Excellent review tom ,i enjoyed this myself when i watched it .

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Nigel Higgins
Date registered 12.06.2015
home: haverhill
ThankYou 14

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:08 pm

wow, that's in fantastic condition Tom!

I have only a b/ w 3x 400ft cut down of D.O.T.T. it's great fun old fashioned sci fi film. Must give it a viewing again sometime soon.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#4 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:11 pm

It is great, i havnt actually seen this feature film since i left School. A big thank you to Nigel for the opportunity of getting this. It certainly found a good home & i think its a great fun 400 footer and as Andy said, the condition is great especially those colours. Very similar to my 400ft colour version of A bundle of Joy, also reviewed here.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:34 pm

Looks better than most prints I have seen of this.

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

Blazing Saddles.
Blitz on Britain 4x400 B/W Sound Walton

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor