Very old projector

#1 by Eivind Mork , Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:20 pm

I got this projector today. A very old 35mm projector. I am not sure how old it is, but it is from the early 1900s somewhere. It was once owned by a tobacco company and was used to review commercials when they were finished.

I saw some of the commercials that came with the projector. I just held them to the light. It was silent tobacco commercials. The films were unfortunately nitrate film. I do not dare to keep that at home. I left it for the owner where I picked it up and I have sent a mail to him explaining just how dangerous it is. This should be kept by someone professional.

The projector was in working order in the 1980s. It hasn't been used since. It has quite some rust on some parts, but all moving parts seems to be ok. It has a 100V motor, and I am not sure yet, but the takeup reel seems to be hand cranked. I haven't tried to assemble it yet :-)

Does anyone recognize it? I know it is a long shot. Not everyday I see something like this on the forum :-)

The following members like this: Thijs de Kort, Gwyn Morgan, Vidar Olavesen and Tyler Hatwell

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

RE: Very old projector

#2 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:53 pm

I've never seen a projector from that era Eivind. That IS quite old, but an interesting piece of history. Thank you for sharing your latest find! :-)

Eivind Mork likes this
Timothy Duncan

#3 by Michael Lattavo , Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:36 am

Very cool, looks like a great winter project!

Eivind Mork likes this

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:52 am

Eivind,an interesting projector I must say.
I am hazarding a guess that it may be an early "Holmes" 35 mm hand crank projector,but in the photos there is a German made motor so has it been adapted.Only a thought.
📽📽

Eivind Mork sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Eivind Mork , Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:18 pm

It could well have been modified. It was once owned by an engineer. But both the film cans and the motor had German text. I will look closer tonight to see if I find something more.

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#6 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:34 pm

Those nitrate films might be worth saving too. Possibly the last copies to survive.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#7 by Eivind Mork , Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:44 pm

They will be saved, but not in my home. They return to the safe where they were before I got the projector. The owner wants to take care of it. They will certainly not be thrown away. In the end they will probably end up at the national library, I am not sure he was ready for that. If I owned them, he could have seen them again. If they are sent to the national library, he can't, so for now he keeps them himself in a safe at a cool place. But in the end they will probably end up at the national library.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#8 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:53 pm

That's good to know. I think one of my big problems is I can't bear to throw anything away.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

Mats Abelli likes this

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#9 by Eivind Mork , Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:55 pm

You are not the only one :-)

Mats Abelli likes this

Eivind Mork