The Warriors 3 x 400ft Marketing olour Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:30 pm

The Warriors is a 1979 film directed by Walter Hill and based on Sol Yurick's 1965 novel of the same name. This novel was, in turn, based on Xenophon’s Anabasis. The story centres on a New York City gang who must return to their home turf after they are framed for the murder of a respected gang leader. It was released in the United States on February 9, 1979.
After reports of vandalism and violence, Paramount temporarily halted their advertising campaign and released theatre owners from their obligation to show the film. Despite its initially negative reception, The Warriors has since become a cult film, and it has spawned multiple spin offs, including video games and a comic book series.

This 3 x 400ft release from Marketing was an absolute must for me, at the age of 18 it was one of my favourite films & I wanted, (and still do), the full length feature when it was released on 8mm but price wise this was out of my price range.
This was one of the second phase of releases by marketing where the quality was even better than the first releases, (Sat night fever, godfather etc).
The biggest downfall of this release (and all the second batch of titles) was that all traces of the original titles were replaced with crappy Letraset titles and as many of you will know the opening titles sequence of this film was so important as it sets up the mood of entire film.
Marketing would have done so well to have made the 200ft version nothing more than the title whole sequence this could have been spliced onto this version, I guarantee everyone who bought this 3 x 400 footer would have also purchased that reel, it would have been a leaf out of Deranns book as they did this for there 3 x 600 ft version of sound of music and also Superman 2 x 600ft version. I have seen three different copies of this mini feature and on all three the second reel is not quite as good an image as reels 1 and 2, namely in the contrast department, never the less, it is very good and mine has held up very well with only the slightest trace of fade.
This one has been put through my Elmo’s countless times and as you can see there isn’t a mark on it, any scratches on this title would ruin it as it is set mainly at night, two of the tricks used by the cinematographer to help with the lighting was to make streets wet to reflect the street light and movie lighting and if you watch the chase through Central Park you will notice the extra lights in the trees themselves, cleverly filmed in a way that they look like the park lights.
By the way, this was another bargain from Roger Lily of Movieland International, it was part of a collection he bought but Roger was dead against any films about violence so he rang me and offered this for £30 at the time when they were going for around £50-£70. Should a 16mm copy with good colour and no fade come along at the right price i will be there. Or,(unlikely) an odd part one, chances are the full feature on 8 will be fading now.
These images dont do it justice as they look quite red but i assure you it isnt.

Attached pictures:
IMG_0044.jpg  

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

Last edited 08.14.2016 | Top

RE: The Warriors 3 x 400ft Marketing olour Sound

#2 by Eivind Mork , Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks for a very thorough review! I enjoyed reading it! The screenshots are great! I was two years old when it was released, and I haven't heard about it :-) I hope you find a full version!

Tom Photiou likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 404

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:51 pm

A good movie, Eivind. You should check it out, if you find the original, go for that. The new Blu-Ray is a directors edit, not as good, but still watchable.

Some pics from my print bought from Super8Warehouse

Eivind Mork likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:55 pm

It's one I could never find first time in the hobby and one I always wanted.
It is a very good film and quite nostalgic to watch now I bet.
Great review there Tom!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:23 pm | Top

#5 by Alan Rik , Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:38 am

I have the full feature and the color on mine is still very nice. Its better than the 3 x 400 marketing print I once had.
Strange thing is that I had the 3 x 400 New with the Cellophane wrapping. I opened it to see if the color was better than the feature. It wasn't but I watched all reels of the digest But reel 2 from the factory had no sound! Yup-straight from the factory with no sound. Luckily I was able to record sound on there. So the sound on R1, and R3 were good, but the sound on R2 was great!
And I agree...great film and very repeatable!

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Eivind Mork and Mats Abelli
Alan Rik  
Alan Rik
Date registered 11.15.2015
ThankYou 14

#6 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 am

One of my all time favourites too Tom, I also have the 3 x 400' and totally agree with you regarding the titles, it just doesn't work, but hey beggars can't be choosers and I'll settle for what I have. Great photo's and review

Del Phillipson

#7 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Thanks, Vidar, the colours on mine are the same as yours, i just dont seem to be able to take pictures with a digi camera that actually show up like it. though.
Alan, if you ever sell that full feature one message me

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:21 pm

What are the odds of that? :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#9 by Tom Photiou , Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:44 pm

about nil?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#10 by Alan Rik , Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:24 am

I do love that film. I saw it in the theaters. (I'm old!) I may not sell it but I will leave it in my will for you Tom! :) Or when I can't lift my GS anymore which maybe sooner than later. Every year it seems to be getting heavier. Or is it me?

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Alan Rik  
Alan Rik
Date registered 11.15.2015
ThankYou 14

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:26 pm

I'll build you a winch for it Alan! 😁😁😁

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#12 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:06 pm

Alan, I saw it at the pictures too, that and "the wanderers", would have loved that on super 8.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Del Phillipson

#13 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:31 pm

Ken Wahl, wasn't it? In The Wanderers I mean. Nice film too, though I rather have The Warriors

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#14 by Tom Photiou , Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:04 pm

I think i saw this about a dozen time,(not exaggerating) in the cinemas, i also remember as i watched it how i got all worked up at that fight in the toilets, very well put together, and i also remember telling everyone if this ever comes out on super 8 i am getting it,
WHY THE HELL I NEVER BOUGHT THE FULL FEATURE IS JUST BEYOND ME!!!!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 545

#15 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:10 pm

Yes Vidar, that's the one, great music and the fight scene at the end is a classic, remember "Leave the kid alone" great film. Can you remember what other film "Terror" (head of the baldies) was in?

Del Phillipson

#16 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:34 pm

The Running Man, Alone in the Dark, Stir Crazy

He was great in Stir Crazy I think ... Looks mean, but is such a softie

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#17 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:55 am

Top man Vidar, no flies on you