Manual Rewinds

#1 by Michael Lattavo , Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:31 pm

When done viewing something on Super 8, do you rewind on the projector, or use manual rewinds? For 16mm I always rewind manually, for fear of damaging the motor (a 2000' reel can get pretty heavy!), but so far have been rewinding super 8 right on the projector.

My regular 8mm projector is nice, in that it has the manual rewind feature built right in!

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Vidar Olavesen

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

RE: Manual Rewinds

#2 by Alan Rik , Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:52 pm

If I'm lazy I will use the rewind on the machines but I use a GS1200 and also a Beaulieu. I'm a little afraid if the motors or gears go I won't have a spare so when I can I use manual rewinds for the most part.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Alan Rik  
Alan Rik
Date registered 11.15.2015
ThankYou 14

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:55 pm

Michael, I cannot speak for 16mm except to say I know a lot of people do as you are doing so I would imagine that is the very best policy for any large heavy reels of film.

For Super 8mm on any size, I personally have no qualms in using the projectors themselves to do the task of rewinding. Equally if you are trying to preserve your projector motor, clutches, gears etc for as long as is possible, then rewind arms, especially for the larger reels of film, are the way to go.

I would never recommend anything other than a long play unit or rewind arms / manual rewind on a editor for cleaning purposes of film though.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: David Ollerearnshaw and Gwyn Morgan
Andrew Woodcock

#4 by Tyler Hatwell , Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:56 pm

I hadn't thought about burning our the motor rewinding (16mm)- is that something you've come across before? I mean, surely that's what they were designed to do, afterall...

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Tyler Hatwell  
Tyler Hatwell
Date registered 06.04.2016
home: East London
ThankYou 11

#5 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:33 pm

I have to agree with Andrew on this,i personally always rewind manually even my very large reels with a full feature thereon.But obviously to do this you need the right equipment which I fortunately have.I cant post a pic as in work.The other side to this is I have been brought up to only manually rewind working in a cinema.
The advantages of this method are that you physically check the film each time,you get to "know" your film.joins cuts etc.
Also you keep the film to one side on the takeup reel thereby not making a mountain range out of the film and crushing it especially when putting it away in cans.
I have always been under the impression whether it is 16 or8mm machine to try and keep the motor running one way,it is far better for the life of the machine and its parts.
If you go back a few threads you will see an electric rewinder I made out of a fan motor,just for the hell of it,works ok though.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 265

#6 by Michael Lattavo , Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:34 pm

I thought the very same thing when I started in 16mm, and used to always use the projector to rewind. Then, one day, while rewinding a feature, the projector got very sluggish - I thought oh oh, this isn't good. Then, I picked up a very cheap projector that I only used as a rewinder. Really didn't buy rewinds until I purchased some pretty dirty films and wanted to clean them - that's when I started rewinding all of my 16mm stuff on manual rewinds.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Gwyn Morgan
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#7 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:30 pm

Well said Gwyn. You are a real PRO.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
David Hardy

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:21 pm

Not many of us left David,i am at work at the moment never ever thought I would be showing live performance like I am tonight,come a long way from a couple of carbon rods and changeover every 20 mins or so.I know its the shape of things to come but I did like the expert fun of showing a film that way even with all its pitfalls.Go on someone ask what a carbon rod is /was.hehehehe

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 265

#9 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:31 pm

I really miss those days of carbon arcs and reel changeovers.
We are a dying breed indeed. I have had more than my share of "live shows"
and don't miss them a bit.
I liked the ones when we had a guest film director giving a talk before the show.
That was some bloody work I can tell you as I had to make up cue sheets especially
if he wanted to show clips of his work on 35mm Film and Video Tapes.
Happy Days though.

David Hardy

#10 by Eivind Mork , Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:33 pm

I never rewind manually, but I am a bit worried about the motor. Maybe I should start using manual. But it needs more space.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 400

#11 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:34 pm

Builds your muscles up Eivind do manual winders.
Separates the men from the boys.

David Hardy

#12 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:37 pm

I think I will soon invest in those Super 8 adapters to be se on a 16mm rewind. Been on my mind for long, but I felt they were expensive. Anyone know where to find them cheap as possible? Don't mind used ones

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#13 by Eivind Mork , Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:41 pm

I bought mine from Urbanski for 60 USD. Expensive, but totally worth it.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 400

#14 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:46 pm

For a pair? I will check that. Did you get taxes on them?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#15 by Eivind Mork , Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:52 pm

I don't remember with the tax. I bought a lot from Larry that time. Yes, it was for a pair.

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 400

#16 by David Ollerearnshaw , Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:39 pm

I use a bit of both, but find manual is usually the better way. You can keep the film wound more even. On super 8 I can use 2400ft reels and 16mm 6000ft Using the Sponden arms. Plus its geat for cleaning film too. I also have the ELMO rewinds.

Thinking about the age of projectors mine are from the 70's and 80's so pushing 40 years. Hell just had a thought my manual rewinds are 58 years old. My arms.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 60

#17 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:25 am

Vidar: Rewinds for 16 mm do pop up on eBay occasionally for good prices. In time I too would like to get a set to allow me to rewind both Super-8 & 16 mm.

Douglas Warren

#18 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:35 am

Hi Michael. I use the projector for ALL rewind purposes.

Timothy Duncan

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:41 am

I think much of this decision making, with any machine, depends entirely on your situation regarding spare parts.
Sure any projector is more than capable of rewinding many thousands of films without impacting its performance or damaging the motor, but if it is a machine like a GS 1200 for example which contains its own individual rewind motor, then you have to ask yourself how difficult is it to source another motor or clutch assembly / gear etc?
It's an expensive machine but with very few actual spare parts to be found without knowing someone like Mr Parsons or Mr Leon Norris perhaps in the U.S.

If you feel you won't easily be able to source spare parts come the time and a cheaper alternative method can be found, then it is wise to often air on the side of caution I feel.

Even a cheap second projector may be the answer just for your everyday rewind duties.
Every little helps as they say.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:44 am | Top

#20 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:01 pm

Just thought you may like to see my types of 16mm manual rewinder said.
The big boy at the back takes full features and the baby takes the smaller reels.
I have a number of the smaller ones to suit different gauges. 📽 📽

The following members like this: Michael Lattavo and Vidar Olavesen

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 265

#21 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:10 pm

Gwyn ... That's a nice set of Premier Arms at the front there.
What are the big ones at the back? I recognise them are they Rigby's ?

Gwyn Morgan likes this
David Hardy
Last edited Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:10 pm | Top

#22 by Mats Abelli , Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi Gwyn!
Nice rewinds. What´s the capacity of the big boy? I have a pair of old Neumade and they hav a 2300ft capacity. Yours look so much bigger.
I wish I could use bigger spools for my features. Does anyone know where to buy a long play unit?

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Mats Abelli
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#23 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Dave,there is no name plaque anywhere on them so I go with your make they came from ex cinema that showed 16mm.ive got four sets of premier arms ,one set with winders both ends I made up myself
Mats,the capacity can vary depending on type of film,but I can easily get 3 x1600 on even 4 at a push,but if it's polyester then easily four.i Can play a full feature no problem.
It's the making up / break down that's a pain sometimes.
Try Paul Foster or CHC,for long play you do see them around. 📽 📽

Mats Abelli sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 265

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Tom and Jerry Cartoons

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor