One Eyed Jack. Marketing films 400ft selected scenes edition

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun May 22, 2016 9:54 pm

This was a film i first saw a trailer to when i purchased a thunderbird trailer reel solely for the good the bad and the ugly trailer which i still have. The reel also had a trailer for Shane, an awful trailer full of cuts and blips as well as a virtually red image, it also had a long 3 minute trailer to this film, the trailer was long but made up mostly of music,still and very corny awful statement tags, again the quality was pretty poor with red image,(from new),and lots of sound cuts. When Marketing released the 3 x 400 foot version i read Bill Davidsons review and it looked a really good film with Bill giving it a Highly Recommended thumbs up. The original full directors cut was 300 minutes but this version was destroyed and nothing exists of the extra footage. The actual theatrical release was 141 minutes.
Unfortunately a good second hand copy of the 3 x 400 footer never seemed to appear on the lists, if it did i missed them. One late night last week i couldn't sleep so i trolled through e-bay and this 400 ft selected scenes edition came up, within a few minutes of the listing i did the buy it now and received it Saturday.
You can never expect too much from a 400 foot cutdown especially being marketing films, BUT, what a surprise, no fade and the print really is like new, stunning colours and a great cast lead by,(and directed by), Marlon Brando with the brilliant Karl Maldon,Ben Johnson & Slim Pickens. This version is pretty much as it says on the box, selected scenes but in a nutshell here is the plot which is cut to match this 400ft reel.
Johnny Rio,(Brando), is a man lusting for revenge after being betrayed by his best friend.
This edition starts in a bar where Brando beats a man who teases Rio’s love interest, as he walks out of the bar the beaten man reaches for a shotgun but is in turn killed by Rio.
This results in Brando getting a vicious beating with a whip in front of the entire town, smashing Rio's gun hand with the butt of a shotgun in an attempt to end his gun-slinging days.
While recovering from his wounds near the ocean, Rio struggles with his conflicting desires to love the girl and to kill her stepfather for revenge.
Dad, (Maldon), desperately wants to kill Rio in an attempt to absolve his own guilt over the earlier betrayal. (mention in this reel but not shown), Knowing that the trial's outcome is certain, and Rio is sure to be hanged in two days, Dad has one last private talk with him, again attempting to excuse himself, to which Rio replies, "You may be a one-eyed jack around here, but I’ve seen the other side of your face."
After Louisa visits Rio in jail to confess that she is going to have his baby,
Louisa visits the jail in an attempt to smuggle a Derringer pocket pistol, but she is discovered by Lon, who leaves the gun on the table. While Lon takes Louisa out, Rio seizes the opportunity to get hold of the pistol, which he accomplishes, but without ammunition. Rio bluffs his way out of jail with the unloaded pistol, helping himself to the revolver of Lon after a tense scene. As he is making his escape, he is spotted by Dad in the centre of town. Under fire and left with no choice, Rio kills Longworth in a final showdown.
In the closing scene, Rio and Louisa ride out to the dunes and say a sentimental farewell. Rio will now be a hunted man and is already wanted in Mexico, and tells Louisa that he's going to Oregon, but to look for him in the spring, when he will return for her.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

RE: One Eyed Jack. Marketing films 400ft selected scenes edition

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun May 22, 2016 10:00 pm

Brilliantly detailed review of this film there Tom!
A terrific clean print you've managed to find there, very well done! 😀😀

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun May 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Oops wrong thread sorry!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun May 22, 2016 10:06 pm | Top

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sun May 22, 2016 10:31 pm

eehhh?