Mutiny on the Bounty 3x400 ft MGM

#1 by Tom Photiou , Thu May 19, 2016 10:37 pm

First of all the plot, (as if you need it) but this is with the help of Wikipedia and edited to only cover the 3 x 400ft version.
In the year 1787, the Bounty sets sail from Portsmouth, England for Tahiti under the command of Captain William Bligh (Trevor Howard). Her mission is to transport breadfruit to Jamaica, where hopefully it will thrive and provide a cheap source of food for the slaves.
The difficult voyage gets off to a difficult start with the discovery that some cheese is missing. Bligh, the true pilferer, is accused of the theft by seaman John Mills (Richard Harris), and Bligh has Mills brutally flogged for showing contempt to his superior officer, to the disgust of his patrician second-in-command, 1st Lieutenant Fletcher Christian (Marlon Brando). The tone for the months to come is summarized by Bligh's ominous pronouncement that "cruelty with a purpose is not cruelty, it is efficiency." Aristocrat Christian is deeply offended by his ambitious captain.
Bligh attempts to reach Tahiti sooner by attempting the shorter westbound route around Cape Horn, a navigational nightmare. The strategy fails and the Bounty backtracks east, costing the mission much time. Single-minded Bligh attempts to make up the lost time by pushing the crew harder and cutting their rations.
When the Bounty reaches her destination, the crew revels in the easygoing life of the tropical paradise — and in the free-love philosophies of the Tahitian women. Christian himself is smitten with Maimiti (Tarita Teriipaia), daughter of the Tahitian king. Bligh's agitation is further fuelled by a dormancy period of the breadfruit: more months of delay until the plants can be transplanted.
On the return voyage, Bligh attempts to bring back twice the number of breadfruit plants to atone for his tardiness, and must reduce the water rations of the crew to water the extra plants
When a crewman becomes gravely ill from drinking seawater, Christian attempts to give him fresh water in violation of the Captain's orders. Bligh strikes Christian when he ignores his second order to stop. In response, Christian strikes Bligh. Bligh informs Christian that he will hang for his action when they reach port. With nothing left to lose, Christian takes command of the ship and sets Bligh and the loyalist members of the crew adrift in the longboat with navigational equipment, telling them to make for a local island.
Christian sails back to Tahiti to pick up supplies and the girlfriends of the crew, then on to remote and wrongly charted Pitcairn Island to hide from the wrath of the Royal Navy. Once on Pitcairn, Christian decides that it is their duty to return to England and testify to Bligh's wrongdoing and asks his men to sail with him. To prevent this possibility they set the ship on fire and Christian is fatally burned while trying to save it.

Now then, we have always had this joined onto 2 x 600ft spools and it fits comfortably, the surprise for us tonight was that this film from MGM still has excellent colour, i have seen this film on so many lists, it certainly isn't hard to find but i am not too sure how the colour has held up on the majority as i have seen many advertised as faded or fading. As always with the MGM's the focus is ever so slightly soft but much better than other titles i have seen from this company. The editing is pretty good, the only exception,(and being on 2 x 600 it does stand out quite a bit at the join), is where part one ends and part two begins, but this, for us, is only a niggle. I could be wrong here but was this released as a scope feature or a flat version feature only? I have reviewed the long scope trailer on another thread here and the quality is top notch and this is one film that scope screen is made for.
This is an excellent mini feature which i can definatly recommend. I am not too sure why Hollywood, in all three version of Mutiny, had to have Americans playing English officers, namely Fletcher Christian, in 1935 it was Clark Gable, this one has Marlon Brando,who i do like, he was a great actor but in this i think he was completely mis-cast, and later Mel Gibson! Why?
These screenshots certainly dont do it justice as they do appear a little muffled on the colour, however, all the vibrant blues yellows and greens are all there,

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

RE: Mutiny on the Bounty 3x400 ft MGM

#2 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu May 19, 2016 11:45 pm

Colour looks fine to me Tom, did you know that there are a few scenes in the 400' edition that splice into this one. I think the
50 minute edition works better than the full feature.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu May 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Looks good to me also. Would not be disappointed if I had this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#4 by Tom Photiou , Thu May 19, 2016 11:59 pm

Hugh i didn't know that? any idea how many scenes can be added?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri May 20, 2016 12:03 am

I knew the little sod pot would ask that. I'll check my son, and get back to you.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#6 by Tom Photiou , Fri May 20, 2016 12:29 am

Ta

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat May 21, 2016 1:00 am

Hi Tom, just getting my land legs back. I'll go through the extras from the 400', which you MUST get, 1.) Longer title sequence leading
to Brown the botanist doing narration. 2.) Reasons given why course was changed from East to West, plotting of new course. 3.)
extra scenes of storm when course is altered from Cape Horn to Good Hope, 4.) scenes of jollity on Tahiti and welcome of "Bounty".
5.) Scene of water ladle hung from yard arm, crewman's death plunge to deck, attack on Bligh by crewman, Keel hauling of man, shark attack. 6.) Reason of choice of Pitcairn Island, because it was wrongly charted on maps, scenes of frivolity on finding island.
I reckon that half the 400' spool was used in added scenes, which are very important to the story and should have been in the 3x400'
As a couple of bits of trivia, Fletcher Christian was a Cockermouth lad, a few miles up the road from me. The ship, a copy of the original, "The Bounty", used
in the film, and others, pulled into my home town of Whitehaven harbour,( the Privateer John Paul Jones tried to fire the ships there but he got sorted that night, the Whitehaven lads were handy even then ) I viewed
it while on my way to a plastering job, it was so tiny, anyway, it was sunk in a storm shortly after in Hurricane Sandy in 2012, I understand the poor Captain was drowned. What a tragedy. Incidentally Tom, it was released by Kempski full length and 'scope,
along with Dr Zhivago and other titles with excellent print quality.

Tom Photiou likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat May 21, 2016 1:01 pm | Top

#8 by Tom Photiou , Sat May 21, 2016 6:33 pm

Good shout Hugh, i will be on look out for a good colour print now, maybe even the full scope one if a decent colour one is about.
Another bit of trivia for you all,
Captain William Bligh was born in Plymouth where he served in the Navy & his ancestral home was in ST Tudy near Bodmin in Cornwall.

Thanks for that info on the 400 footer Hugh, also looking out for a good colour print of that one.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 549

Murderers Row, 400ft Colour Sound
My Disney Trailer reel 2. 600ft

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor