WHO LIKES A SCARY STORY AT BEDTIME.........

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon May 09, 2016 11:55 pm

I received the other day a batch of films from Germany, a couple of westerns and a horror job, now usually before showing, I put a few extra feet of leader on the film, and if any white leader or such has been used, re splice on the beginning. The leader on this was green, fine, until I found that it had shrunk, it wasn't warped, just shrunk. It was only when I tried to re splice did I notice that the pins on the
splicer would not align with the film, it was acetate stock, the original movie proper was okay, just this leader. Now I have std 8mm film, with the original white leader still sound as a pound, forty odd years old This made me think of
this strange acetate being issued on new films, that is brittle and yellowed. It made me wonder, does it shrink too? Imagine paying all this money for a print to shrink and be unwatchable a few years down the line. An auto thread would have had some fun with this stuff no doubt.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue May 10, 2016 12:00 am | Top

RE: WHO LIKES A SCARY STORY AT BEDTIME.........

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue May 10, 2016 12:08 am

Almost all my green leaders are the same way. White has never done this

500 pound for a film on that type of stock would be horror indeed

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue May 10, 2016 2:24 pm

This is very strange and merits further study I fear, here we have another version of acetate stock that has a problem, I have had
experience of the horrible plastic type white leader that warps and shrivels both on S/8 & 16mm, as I'm sure others have, but this
as Vidar has noticed too, a film stock that looks to all intents and purposes as normal, but is rendered useless by shrinkage. What is
going on? Are the cine film stocks printed on this weird stuff? At £50.00 a throw for a 50' cartridge, plus processing, and these costly new releases
from Germany, I think its time we were enlightened. Something, some chemical agent is missing in the manufacture or processing
of modern film, and its high time questions were asked of the Germans concerning manufacture and process of acetate film stock.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue May 10, 2016 2:40 pm | Top

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:29 pm

I think Grahame Newnham has the original Kodak type 16mm white leader, don't know about other gauges. The stuff I got off Ebay, turned from white to grey.

Robert Crewdson

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:26 am

The older acetate stuff is fine Robert, but this new stuff shrinks, which is why I think anyone buying new releases should insist
on Estar stock, imaging forking out good money on what you think is an investment, only to find a few years down the line it's unwatchable! I tumbled when I heard of this delicate stock that tore easily and was yellowed. I still reckon something is missing
from its makeup, bloody labs, and the EU are going to finish this hobby.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:27 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Brilliant buy on ebay

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor