RE: Wanted: Sound file

#26 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun May 15, 2016 6:18 pm

The only issue here Tom, as said earlier in a thread, is even if you take the sound off a film onto a computer, to transfer back to another film again...

The results arn t marvellous by any stretch of the imagination.

It'd be nice if out there between us all, for these top notch favoured digests, digital masters could be replicated.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#27 by Tom Photiou , Sun May 15, 2016 7:20 pm

very true, and with a fair bit of fade it may all be a lot of effort. I shall keep an eye out for a better print. Fingers crossed, oh and for a few dollars more

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 533

#28 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun May 15, 2016 8:59 pm

MP3 is a loss format, would FLAC or wav be better?

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 60

#29 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun May 15, 2016 9:01 pm

WAV(E) is a good one David, a full sized replica of the original and totally uncompressed!

Takes up a lot of space on our our hard drives which used to pose many an issue to DJ's and the likes back in the day when compressed audio was absolutely needed in the volumes of music stored, but nowadays all of this, is of course, totally irrelevant, so just convert to the best format possible and WAV is one of those!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun May 15, 2016 9:05 pm | Top

#30 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun May 15, 2016 9:22 pm

I am thinking about size allowed to send. MP3 is good enough if you use 256 or better

WAV files would be huge I assume

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#31 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun May 15, 2016 9:27 pm

Yes Vidar, I'd only recommend using WAV for your own personal projects in the home, certainly if there are any long length ones here anyhow.

For sending files by e mail, 256 or 320kbps is more than sufficient, and more importantly, very easy to send by e mail.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun May 15, 2016 9:30 pm | Top

#32 by Eivind Mork , Sun May 15, 2016 9:35 pm

I never use WAV. FLAC is lessless compression, meaning you can encode, decode, encode again without loosing any data. It compresses the files to about 50% of the original size.

But MP3 256 should be more than enough for Super 8. The audio quality for Super 8 is way worse than MP3 256, so I am certain you won't notice the difference recording from FLAC/WAV or MP3 256.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 400

#33 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun May 15, 2016 9:40 pm

I agree Eivind, and as ever, I've been somewhat lost in translation here. The only time I would recommend obtaining a WAV file of something, is to improve it from it's original state. ie: Sound placed onto a Super 8mm film from a DVD source etc.

Personally, I'd never recommend obtaining a track from a Super 8mm film, simply because, once transferred, it will fall way short of the standards expected from today.

Don't forget here, the tracks I take from a DVD start out life at 25fps, but then need converting to 24fps to get them somewhere near to sync speed to begin with.
In order to be able to achieve this, I try and obtain the best 2ch sound I can from the disc either using converted WAV files or 320kbs files dependant on length of the film involved.

Eivind Mork likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun May 15, 2016 9:49 pm | Top

#34 by Eivind Mork , Sun May 15, 2016 9:44 pm

And by the way: OGG Vorbis has better quality for the same bit ratio for any bitrate larger than 128 compared to MP3 (measured by blind listening tests).

And for low bitrate OPUS beats MP3 and Vorbis. Both OPUS and Vorbis is free (both in the the meaning free as in free beer, and free as in freedom). MP3 has still patents in the US although the patents in many other countries are no longer valid due to its age.

I use OGG for many things myself, but MP3 is way more widespread. So my solution is to rip CDs to FLAC, and convert to OGG or MP3 as I need it.

David Ollerearnshaw likes this

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 400

#35 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon May 16, 2016 5:17 pm

Ahem, sorry lads, but all this computer shit, as you've justv proved is getting you nowhere, perhaps the old fashioned ways are better.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#36 by Eivind Mork , Mon May 16, 2016 5:35 pm

As someone mentioned sending a sound file digitally, I mentioned the different formats and their uses. I am sorry for writing a bit off topic, but I thought it might was of interest as we talked about sending an audio record. For the actual transfer to the film it might be better with old fashioned tapes. I have no idea, and I am sure other know loads more of this than me.

It seems that I (among others) have made you angry (reading the other thread you just made), for which I am sorry. You are a great man with a great heart.

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 400

#37 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon May 16, 2016 5:47 pm

Elvind, you are the last person I'd wish to offend, but there are others that I do, get off your collective arse and help
the man whose forum you use, there, its easy, anyone contend what I've just said?

Hugh Thompson Scott

#38 by David Ollerearnshaw , Mon May 16, 2016 6:50 pm

Think of a Michael Winner advertisement

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 60

#39 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon May 16, 2016 7:42 pm

Dave, I accept the hilarity, but all this crap on whose projector can do this or that, is bollocks.I created sound transfers
without all this computer rubbish, all done on archaic means.........that worked.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon May 16, 2016 8:03 pm | Top

#40 by Paul Browning , Mon May 16, 2016 8:11 pm

Hello Vidar, i know Hugh as helped you with the UA 400ft of Frankenstein, but was there a Tom & Jerry cartoon you needed the sound in English for ?. I have a few of these in different formats, but as mentioned here on the forum most sound source would be good enough for your film, i just adjust mine through audacity for the final mix. Not sure about the others you need to have, but i will concentrate on the material i might have first. The sound on one channel and a pulse track on the second track, for the elmo to pickup the sync. I'm sure the bluray disc runs at 24 frames, so this maybe a better and easier to get the sound synced up to, if you want to do this.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#41 by Tom Photiou , Mon May 16, 2016 8:15 pm

Hugh, i do have to say a very long time ago i use to use a good old cassette player, you know, stop/start/stop rewing start, in the end it did use to produce some pretty good stuff, obviously with today's technology the sound s are improved but i never found the time to get into this side of the hobby, i dont enjoy it so much, i am strictly for watching the films as they are. I think if i was retired and had a shed load more time i would dabble.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 533

#42 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon May 16, 2016 8:24 pm

Thanks Paul, but the Tom & Jerry I have several of, some with decent sound, will fix them myself. I will also try the Goofy's Glider from youtube. Mountain of the Cannibal God, I would love to find. If no one has the English, I might venture into the hard and tedious work of editing the DVD track to fit the 3x400'

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#43 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon May 16, 2016 8:26 pm

Tom, with patience a nice soundtrack can be done.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#44 by Paul Browning , Mon May 16, 2016 8:26 pm

A tape player is the basis of all the the projectors really Tom isn't it, and the frequencies on the mono machines are about the same. The basic steup on the Elmo is a tape based
mono tape player to slave from, with an extra tape head situated offset to the main head, with use in only one direction, so not that sophisticated is it really, but it works, and very well too.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#45 by Paul Browning , Mon May 16, 2016 8:34 pm

Let us know how you get on Vidar, i'm always interested in what and how it can be made easier for all to have a go. I looked at a digital delay for video hookup, this has a 10 second delay on it, and can to set to a frame rate or time in seconds to pal or ntsc format, and used so the bumph said " to lip sync the sound to picture perfectly, and then locked. When i tried a couple of times. i always found the sound ahead of the picture, so this would fix that for sure.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#46 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon May 16, 2016 8:47 pm

Will do. I am hoping my GS-1200 is keeping a stable speed, I expect it to

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#47 by David Ollerearnshaw , Mon May 16, 2016 9:27 pm

I might have to have a go at one of my digests Bridge River Kwai in German. I was always going to do my Silent Movie by filming the English titles off a video that's German too. Also have one in Arabic, but bought the same with English sound.

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 60

#48 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon May 16, 2016 9:45 pm

I have this digest if you want a sound file?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#49 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon May 16, 2016 9:56 pm

Excuse me while I change my pissed up pants, all this computer balls, all your digital shit, all the rubbish spoken, it comes
back to linear, tape or film transfer, maybe if God has finished with the Bauer, he might loan it us, or did we need it anyway?
There are projectors that record after all.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon May 16, 2016 10:03 pm | Top

#50 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon May 16, 2016 10:06 pm

Hugh, the computer fan :-)

It is only for ease of sending. No cost other than time

What size pants you got? I'll send you a new pair since it was me starting it

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

Last edited 05.16.2016 | Top