Extra Long Scope Trailers

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon May 02, 2016 9:38 pm

You cant really review a trailer, however, this 200 foot reel i put together contains two promo's/trailer's that more or less make up a shortened version of the films they are advertising.
The two films i am talking about here are,
Mutiny on the Bounty, 100ft scope Lawrence of Arabia, Scope sound.
Both of these trailers, (especially Lawrence), do come up on the lists quite often & if they do i would definatly recommend both of these items.
They both have pin sharp image and excellent sound throughout. There is no colour fade at all, i suspect both of these are on low fade stock.
Such a shame that Lawrence of Arabia never arrived on super 8 other than that awful 400 footer from Columbia. It was better than nothing i guess but for us it just wasn't at all worthy of such a film. In fact this extra long trailer in glorious scope is a much preferred optioned i think.
Mutiny on the Bounty screenshots,

Lawrence of Arabia screenshots,

The following members like this: Paul Browning, Vidar Olavesen and David Ollerearnshaw

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Extra Long Scope Trailers

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon May 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Stunning print quality there Tom, on both of these!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Tom Photiou , Mon May 02, 2016 10:09 pm

They are both very good, not sure if Derann imported these or released them themselves.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#4 by Paul Browning , Mon May 02, 2016 10:36 pm

Really nice colour on these, yes Laurence would have been a good feature, especially with this kind of contrast and colour.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#5 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Tue May 03, 2016 6:51 am

Ian of Perry's Movies once told me he sold a stunning F/L "Lawrence of Arabia" in Scope which was actually on STANDARD 8mm, wow I''d like to have seen that.

Barry Attwood

#6 by Tom Photiou , Tue May 03, 2016 8:21 am

Blimy Barry that would be a film to own. Just goes to show what is out there.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#7 by Dave Alligan , Tue May 03, 2016 10:02 am

I could be wrong but im sure that the Mutiny on the Bounty trailer was a kempski print then reprinted by Derann

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#8 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Tue May 03, 2016 10:34 am

Tom,

Dereek Simmonds told me that many of those big titles on Standard 8mm were direct reductions from the 35mm negative, so the quality was stunning, he said he knew of a few titles this was done too, besides "Lawrence" I remember he told me their were standard 8 prints of "The Dam Busters", "Born Free" and "The Bridge over the River Kwai" (all in scope where appropriate too!), he said he was blown away by the quality of "The Dam Busters" at the time.

Barry Attwood

#9 by Dave Alligan , Tue May 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi Barry

Was the Dam Busters the Walton print, because I knew that Walton done that on Standard 8 and full length ?

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#10 by Tom Photiou , Tue May 03, 2016 1:44 pm

Barry, that is good to know, it means somewhere out there is some superb classic movies, i bet the colours are as good now as they were back then. There were a few odd full features out there on Standard 8, we had the Robert Stack 5 x 400 foot feature of Edmund Grainger's Great Day in the Morning, the colour was almost like technicolour to look at, unfortunately it suffered with quite muffled sound, but the print was fantastic.
We would still buy features on STD 8 if the right titles came our way,
Psycho is at the top of the list but any of those you mentioned would definatly be up for grabs by us.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#11 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue May 03, 2016 4:08 pm

Looking through my old issues of film magazines I'm amazed at the titles that were available. I started collecting in the mid 70's so super 8 was where the new stuff was. I'll try to find the issues and post some scans. Columbia are mentioned in adverts from standard 8 days. Lawrence Of Arabia was available for rent in super 8 at a price.

The titles I hired from Columbia, FDA and Rank were fantastic in both picture and sound.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#12 by Tom Photiou , Tue May 03, 2016 6:58 pm

I bet the prices were quite hefty to back then,
I'm thinking when i started my apprenticeship in 1978, i think my first weeks wage packet was £20.19p. To think i had to pay my keep out of that, learn to drive, oh & somehow save for my first projector and my first film, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre at £99.99 + P+P, that, (i think), happened in 1979. Thanks to my dear Grandfather who said, & i quote, "what the hell do you spend that kind of money on that rubbish for, oh well, as long as you pay it back weekly i'll lend you the money". And that my dear friends is how it all started for me, (many years after my Brother had started),

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 03, 2016 7:12 pm

What a Grandad!! Great story Tom. I started on £34.50 in 1982, so about similar in that respect based on a typical, better than average, apprentice wage back then.
The YTS lads back then were on £28 per week in 82.

As you say, most of the gear we now have was completely out of reach for us mere mortals, especially without an overly generous grandad anyhow.

Andrew Woodcock

#14 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue May 03, 2016 7:54 pm

I think it was £25 hire for one showing(s).

Magnum Force and The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad were £12.50

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

Last edited 05.03.2016 | Top

#15 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 04, 2016 7:34 am

i wonder how many of those prints survive today, very few if any i think.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 11:05 am

Nice pics Tom, got both of these myself, as you rightly say, the "Lawrence" is superb, far better than the 400'!
As for the std 8mm releases, Derann had some on agreement from Warner-Pathe, direct from them, "The Rebel", "I Was Monty's Double",
"School For Scoundrels", "Ice Cold In Alex" etc Quality on them was exceptional. I have some of their colour features printed on reversal
that are very good indeed. The "Dambusters" in the Warner's batch was full length Dave in std 8, where as you know the Walton was the
72 minute cut.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed May 04, 2016 11:07 am | Top

#17 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 04, 2016 3:06 pm

There are certainly some great but elusive titles out there somewhere

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#18 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Definately was not Walton release of "The Dam Busters" that was cut to an 8 reel feature, the quality (and length) would have been on a par to the Derann F/L release of "The Dam Busters". Yes I do believe some prints may be around today, as last year I had a Standard 8mm print of a 1957 film called "The Unholy Wife" which starred Rod Steiger and Diana Dors, well the colour (on what looked like Kodachrome stock), sound and definition was all jaw dropping, far beyond a normal standard 8 print, and if they did it for a small film like this one, I bet their are some bigger titles still out there.

Barry Attwood

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2016 4:56 pm

Barry I'm sending you PM if you could give it a glance for me here please?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed May 04, 2016 5:01 pm | Top

Elvis The Movie. Derann 400ft Colour Sound
Extra Long Scope Trailers/Battle of Britain/Zulu +AFI 100

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor