Helter Skelter 2x 400ft colour. Iver films

#1 by Tom Photiou , Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:13 pm

Helter Skelter is a 1976 TV film based on the 1974 book by prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry. In the United States, it aired over two nights. In some countries it was shown in theatres with additional footage (nudity, language and more violence).
The movie is based upon the murders committed by the Charles Manson Family. The best-known victim was actress Sharon Tate. The films title was taken from the Beatles' song of the same name. According to the theory put forward by the prosecution, Manson used the term for an anticipated race war, and "healter skelter” was scrawled in blood on the refrigerator door at the house of one of the victims. It recounts the murders Manson committed, the investigation, and the 1970-71 trial where prosecuting D.A. Bugliosi attempted to draw connections between the Manson family and his violent convictions.
Helter Skelter is directed by Tom Gries, stars Steve Railsback as Manson and George DiCenzo as Bugliosi. Writer JP Miller received a 1977 Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for Best TV Feature or Mini Series Teleplay.

As of this Super 8 double album, (now joined onto a full 600ft), released by Iver Film services, the colour has held up really well with no signs of fade yet. Sound is very good if lacking in bit of bass but through the pioneer amp it is pretty good. The sourced material, while good appears to be a little dirty in places with some black marks, (not scratches) evident, but over all a very good print.
The thing to bear in mind here is that this was originally shown here in the UK over two nights as this movie made for TV was 194 minutes long and was one of the many Lorimar TV productions released along with many other television series.

The idea of cutting this into 30 minutes is one hefty task. Clearly there was an awful lot of padding but Iver have actually done a first rate job with this one, a tense opening with the murders briefly setting the scene,(with some of the Beatles music from the album), for a pretty disturbing half an hour.
I would much prefer to watch this half hour version rather sit through over three hours worth. You certainly do not have to have seen the full film to understand the story.
Looking at this Iver version my guess is that they have taken this from the cinema extended movie version as there is a lot more blood shown,(and one use of the F word) that was missing from the original TV version.

Attached pictures:
IMG_8928.jpg  

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

RE: Helter Skelter 2x 400ft colour. Iver films

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:17 pm

I've never seen this title for sale nowadays Tom. Looks a really nice print too!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#3 by Tom Photiou , Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:30 pm

Hi Andy, yep its a pretty good one. story behind this one, I bought it years ago almost new, then years later sold my copy along with a load of other stuff simply to buy The lion king Promo and Lion King Elton John promo. God knows why I did this, & it was in the day when the dealers paid peanuts for second hand films. Eventually I won this copy on ebay around 4 years ago. Now I am holding onto it.

It is actually a really good gripping half hour.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:33 pm

It looks it Tom! Well done for finding another. The Lion King anything is well worth it in my book, but it's great you now have both!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:38 pm

Looks brilliant. Manson was slightly mental :-)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#6 by Tom Photiou , Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:17 pm

they were that vidar. Absolute scum and loony. pity they dropped the death sentence just as they were put away.
If Roman Polanski wasn't away filming at the time he would also have been a victim. scary stuff.
Andy, i do love those lion king shorts, two Disney feature we do hold are the Lion King and Beauty and the beast. Great prints to.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:57 pm

Good pics Tom, the print did suffer from a bit of "surface rain", but it is a bloody good digest. When you read the background story,
you realise that Manson was very popular, he used to frequent the "jet set" parties, Jane Fonda knew him, as no doubt did many more stars. Drugs of course were there for the taking, Sharon Tate was a "swinger", as were the people murdered with her, not that that was
reason for murder, but it wasn't as black and white as portrayed. Charley was a killer, although not present when Tate was killed, but he pales beside politicians that can wipe out thousands of innocent people at a stroke, and get away with it. The people who hold power are
in fact as mad as Charley.

The following members like this: David Ollerearnshaw and Tom Photiou
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:04 am | Top

#8 by Tom Photiou , Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:15 am

That is so very true.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 550

#9 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:26 am

This one had a UK release in the Cinemas.
I know this because I showed it at the ODEON ABERDEEN.
In fact I still have the original Quad Poster for it.
Great pics there Tom.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
David Hardy

Gremlins, 1200ft stereo colour Sound. Derann Release
High Plains Drifter 1 x 600ft

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor