TAXI DRIVER. 400ft Colour Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:58 pm

This is a classic Martin Scorsese movie from 1976 starring the brilliant Robert De Niro & Jodie Foster.
With the help of Wikipedia here is the plot which is edited by me to only cover the 400 foot columbia release.
Travis Bickle, an honourably discharged U.S. Marine, is a lonely, depressed young man living on his own in New York City. He becomes a taxi driver to cope with his chronic insomnia, driving passengers at night around the boroughs of New York City and he keeps a diary which he voices throughout the film.
Travis is disgusted by the sleaze, dysfunction, and prostitution that he witnesses throughout the city, and attempts to find an outlet for his frustrations by beginning a program of intense physical training. Travis talks to an illegal gun dealer Easy Andy, from whom he buys a number of handguns. At home, Travis practices drawing his weapons and constructs a sleeve gun to hide and then quickly deploy a gun from his sleeve. Later, Travis hires Iris, a 12 year old prostitute, but instead of having sex with her, attempts to dissuade her from continuing in prostitution. He fails to completely turn her from her course,
After shaving his head into a Mohawk,
He later goes to the East Village and invades Sport's brothel. A violent gunfight ensues and Travis kills Sport, a bouncer, and a Mafioso. Travis is severely injured with multiple gunshot wounds. Iris witnesses the fight and is hysterical with fear, pleading with Travis to stop the killing. After the gunfight, Travis attempts suicide, but has run out of ammunition and resigns himself to lying on a sofa until police arrive. When they do, he places his index finger against his temple gesturing the act of shooting himself.
Travis, receives a letter from Iris' father thanking him for saving her life and revealing that she has returned home to Pittsburgh, where she is going to school.
Here is where this reel ends with the only part which lets it down,(as well as many other 400 foot reels), no end title in sight, just the usual FBI warning.

This cut down is one of the 400ft condensed series and supplied in the cardboard box, fortunately mine is in excellent shape and surprisingly, so is the film, no fade, very good sound and only minimal narration from that columbia narrator we all love to hate so much.
When this home version was released i do recall Bill Davidson explaining that there is a short sequence where Jodie Foster's character unzips De Niro's trousers which was cut here in the UK from the cinema release. Obviously it's all back in now and even shown uncut on TV. How times have changed.
This is probably one of the most violent cut downs ever released on super 8 but it is a dam good movie.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

RE: TAXI DRIVER. 400ft Colour Sound

#2 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:35 pm

I can remember how stunned I was seeing this film when I showed it at our ODEON CINEMA
way back on its first run.
An excellent picture.

David Hardy

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:42 pm

A great review from our Tom, complete with great piccies, I have the same film, mention must be made of the very brooding score
from Bernard Herrman. The only fault I have with it, is the "off the cuff" live soundtrack, which can be difficult to pick up at times
with the accents and ambient sound, that said, it is a good film. As for violence, "The Klansman" walks a tight line too, not to mention "Coffy", the super 8 gauge sure had its share of questionable films. Its a wonder we weren't all raided!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:44 pm | Top

#4 by Tom Photiou , Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:16 am

Hugh, your right, i should have mentioned Mr Hermann's moody score there, especially right at the end where Jason & the Argonauts few notes are heard to so well, each time i play this film those last 3 or 4 notes immediately bring Jason & the Argonauts straight into my head. It's exactly the same.
Now you have mentioned the Klansman i must do that one next. Coffy & Shaft are two shorts i am trying to get but unfortunately they all appear to be faded now. Typical MGM super 8s

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:05 am

Look forward to them Tom, keep up the excellent work, with piccies I hope.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Take the Money and Run ABC Films 400ft Colour Sound
Taxi Driver. 400ft Colour Sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor