An Easter Epic - Ben Hur

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:31 pm

I am posting these screenshots here purposefully for Del's perusal first and foremost as this abridged feature is one he is seeking. Unfortunately I could not remember what format the print I have was in. Del wanted a scope print and I had it in my head this was at least a letterboxed print, as it transpires, it's neither sadly. Just a plain ole vanilla flat print so probably not what Del is seeking sadly.

Anyhow, it's an appropriate print to showcase here at this time of the year and one that if Del doesn't want, perhaps someone else does?
Principally however, It's Del's to refuse first and foremost.

Colour is still very good imo and condition is good also with only two short sections that show any wear. This is the condition I received the print in.
Each section lasts only seconds and can be seen in the screenshots.
The sound is loud and clear with the main track duplicated onto the balance stripe and is the original recording.

It comes on one 1200ft Taylor reel and comes inside one of my decorated 1200ft sized card boxes. It also does have a trailer for this film as a lead in but it is totally red and may want to be scrapped by it's new owner.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen, Gwyn Morgan, Mats Abelli and Dave Alligan
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:29 pm | Top

RE: An Easter Epic - Ben Hur

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:44 pm

Looks very good indeed. Mine is purplish (Agfa?)

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#3 by Paul Browning , Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:47 pm

It looks damn good to me Andrew, a very nice mini epic.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#4 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:28 pm

That was the flat 3x400. released by MGM, Walton Films distributed them. They were the same edit as the Cinevision prints, the 400'
release had some different scenes to splice in. There was a longer 8x400' version, much the same rich colour, slightly less running time to
the 'scope prints, but very desirable, it must've been, I bought it twice, along with the Optical sound print, but whatever print is shown, it is one of the most sensible of epics, and at this time of year, a winner.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:31 pm

Let me know if you want pics thru' till the end please Del as I have now run up my space to max in the above post.

Andrew Woodcock

#6 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi Andrew, you have mail my friend

Del Phillipson

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:20 pm

Replied thanks Del.

Andrew Woodcock

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:26 pm

I still think this is a great film never owned a copy of any sort only ever had a scope trailer.
Remember seeing it in 70mm in the good old days.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 266

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:32 pm

It is a nice film to have even at this length Gwyn. I'd ordinarily be wanting to keep it, especially as the chap I wrote about, who I got it from was such a kind and warm lovely man. I feel obliged here to preserve some of his treasures.
However, room is of the most paramount importance to me right now and with new coming in all the time, something has to give.

I hope this goes to Del as I know he will do a splendid job in preserving it while also enjoying it, probably more often than I have have chance to with all of my other film genre interests.

It's worth the entrance fee for the spectacular Chariot Race scenes alone!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:35 pm | Top

#10 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:48 pm

I would not have the time to show even a 400 foot version this weekend so I
will have to show the trailer instead.
The best cutdown ever.

David Hardy

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:06 pm

More through to the end...

[[File:vlcsnap-2016-03-24-16h36m26s140.png]]

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:10 pm | Top

#12 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:40 pm

Looks gorgeous

Del Phillipson

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:47 pm

Like I say Del, there are two small areas where there are solitary lines, but they don't last long at all and one is right at the very end but is intermittent even at that. There is nothing that spoils this print overall and even my DH3 which was a kings ransom by comparison ain't without lab marks etc.

I think I have only one or two feature length prints that are what would be considered perfect in every way from start to finish, inc no lab marks etc etc. Film isn't DVD that's for sure! That's why we love it!! ha ha.

Andrew Woodcock

#14 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:53 am

Top stuff Andrew, I totally agree with your comments regarding prints. In the 80's and 90's I used to sit watching a film but not watch the film I'd just be sat there looking for any scratches etc. now I just sit and enjoy the film, warts an all. I have three fantastic projectors that fingers crossed are very kind to film, I filmguard every film that comes into the house before viewing it, Del.

Del Phillipson

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:15 pm

You may still wish to carry out your ritual here Del of filmguarding this film as soon as you receive it, before projecting it, as I do myself, but if you did just want to give it the once over first it will be fine to project as I only did it a few days back when I captured these screenshots here.

This may allow you to decide whether or not to ditch the red trailer I spoke to you about, before cleaning it again and watching it properly.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:25 pm | Top

#16 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:56 pm

I was going to ask whether or not you'd filmguarded it Andrew, I know you're as conscientious as me when it comes to cleaning your films before projection

Del Phillipson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Hollywood & the Stars

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor