Are Members interested

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:44 pm

I was just thinking about the new films being released on Super 8, granted they are sparse and expensive. It would have been nice to
have seen a release of possibly the greatest British Film ever made, "The Wicker Man", this is one film that deserves release and recognition on film, more than most when one reads of the history of this neglected Gem. It surely would be a breakaway from the
norm, the mindless action flicks that are seemed as fodder for the masses, how many members on here would be interested?

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Gwyn Morgan
Hugh Thompson Scott

RE: Are Members interested

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:58 pm

For me, I think the price would be too high. Sorry, Hugh, not among my favorite films. I would pay some serious money for Blade Runner or The Hateful Eight. The Goonies, Lethal Weapon also. War of the Worlds, The Thing 82. Yes, please

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:13 pm

Ah well, one down, a dozen to go.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:36 pm

Sorry :-/

If it would cost under 200 I'd grab one, but it would be five times that I assume. And you must find a good source on 35mm I guess

Hope you manage it

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:44 pm

Vidar, they ask that now for 600' of film! Printed, if you let them away with it on something akin to scotch tape, supposed to
be acetate. On a film like "Wicker Man", I'd insist on poly stock, as it seems normal acetate is no longer available, but still a
classic film, the websites show it is a big cult film now.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#6 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:02 pm

Hugh,I agree one of the best films ever,the history surrounding the wicker man is well worth a read.talks of the original negative being lost in strange circumstances,and there is differing views on what is the correct length of this film.ive seen it a couple of times on 16mm but never managed to buy in time.
Another film I feel long forgotten is Straw Dogs,made down in my part of the world.
Unfortunately I think you would be lucky to get the demand for new prints and I too feel the price would be too prohibitive even if you could find a good 35mm .Nce thoughts though📽📽📽📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 266

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Hi Gwyn, I still have the print on s/8,( Straw Dogs ) it's a great film, which parts are you familiar with in the film? not counting Susan George,
my Lord she was gorgeous, no, I mean locations etc. Wicker Man has always been a request, Derann, no interest as CHC, but to be fair
Phil is not a releasing company. I have only ever seen one print for sale, that was years ago in "THE BIG REEL", but I'm only a new kid
to ebay etc, to me, it would be my whole collecting hobby put in perspective, the cherry on the cake, a lost treasure, whatever version/cut, it would be welcome, made not that far from me, indeed if i'd known, that is the part of Scotland seen from where I
was born and lived, Whitehaven. If I had only known the wicker man aflame was visible from my home town. It was my Sister that first alerted me to the film, "You must see it", she was dead right, a terrifying film, ordinary folk, everyday surroundings, are threatening.
Anyway Gwynn, it would be an expensive venture, 16mm, surely would be a frenzy for sale, but if anyone has a print that they could part with or trade, let me or Gwyn know. Still, a nice print on the 8mm would surely put the "bootlace" on the map and us as film historians.What
better epitaph than that. Even now it would seem, the indifference to a classic is evident, a shame.

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:29 pm | Top

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:46 pm

Hugh it was filmed in an area of west Cornwall near the village of st bruyan I think that's how you spell it.its in an area west of Penzance where even now the roads are single track and it's really beautiful in good weather but you don't want to be there in the bad weather.Its like a different world an area still in my opinion not caught up with the 21 st century.im sure you could go there and get lost.
I'm sure I've seen a print of the wicker man in the last few years,maybe on one of Deranns last list but I may be mistaken but I do remember it was faded.perhaps Roger Cormans 16 mm print will turn up and that would be the original or did he have the 35mm it escapes me .
Live in hope.📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 266

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi Gwyn, its nice to speak to a lover of this film, I understand Roger Corman was sent a 16mm print, the 102 minute Robin Hardy
cut, which is the one they made a 35mm interneg from, having destroyed all original negs in Britain, so there could never be a whole
print on a 35mm neg.The drop in quality was noticed though. However, it didn't deter "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre", it was shot on 16mm! Thank God Roger Corman kept the print he was sent!, the longest cut available. Anyway, there are only the two of us interested so far,
a sad indictment on our hobby really, foreign folk, are exempt, but our own people, obviously our taste's differ, alarmingly, but each to
his own.
P.S. i'll have a look on the Atlas regarding points you mentioned. I can understand why it is so weather swept.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:08 pm | Top

#10 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:13 pm

Hugh if you are ever in Cornwall well worth taking a drive .
Two other films I like are Get Carter and Long Good Friday not everyone's cup of tea as you say.
📽📽📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 266

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:32 pm

Gwyn, obviously we were parted at birth, Get Carter, one of the best gangster films ever made, no big talk, no threats, job done my son.
Long Good Friday, out shot the American equivalent, gutsy, realistic, but a lovable protagonist, then it goes unthinkable, the "hero" is a gonner Any of these films would have cleaned up on 8mm, I have "Carter" on opt s/8, but everybody wanted Musicals, which are ten a penny, and the Disney's, so films home grown, that became classics overseas, were neglected, classics of our own culture, overseen
by this belief they were "nasties", how short sighted, true films, Cannes loved 'em, but the 8mm distributors catered to childrens films.
Films like "The Wicker Man " were thought dodgy. The many sites and other offshoots prove, it is a very active interest, the many versions on dvd prove this. Prints would be more desirable than Star Wars for afficionados. We were never given the option.
The difference being between good wholesome food and the quick delivered shite a lot of 'em live on. Is a world apart. You either have taste, or just a craving.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:36 am | Top

#12 by Paul Browning , Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:37 am

I watched this a couple of times on tv Hugh, the wicker Man, I'm sorry I just didn't get it. As for the long good Friday a great underated movie with the late Bob Hoskins and
Pierce Brosnan as the IRA hit man at the end, a real reality check movie, and made for pennies compared to the Hollywood gangster flicks of the time. My name is Michael Caine
"get Cater" just great movie's of the 60's, that stand the test of time. I still think "the Italian Job" and the planet of the apes movies ( original versions) would have been big sellers
on 8mm and they missed a trick a Derann by not getting these on the old bootlace, shame really, I agree with you Hugh to a greater extent probably too many "Musicals", although
I have a few so guilty as charged mucca.

Graham Sinden likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#13 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:53 am

Well on the Wicker Man, Paul, it works on many levels, the ancient beliefs still prevalent in our shires, it also works on the thriller/
detective story, but it goes deeper than that, it shows how these long thought forgotten things are deeply rooted in all of us. It is
really a very thought inducing film, it is frightening, in that it shows how a religious belief can be viewed by outsiders as barbaric.
The film was attempted burial by Spikings & Deeley, but it came to its fore and has since is recognised as a classic, not an Ealing comedy, nor a Carry on
or Hammer Gore fest, but a thinking mans "Horror" film, but more so, anyway, more from our members, the ones with taste.Not that
I'm casting aspersions on Paul's.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:59 am | Top

#14 by Paul Browning , Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:15 am

I just likened it to " The witchfinder General" with a favourite actor of mine Vincent Price, where so called "witches" were burned alive, and no one who would dare question
the justification of the burning and would tow the line or else would get the same. Certainly thought provoking, and no doubt still has some similarity to the druid style worshippers,
but who takes them seriously now?, only themselves I think, just like those who believe in voodoo magic spells, although I can see a few use's for that in our present Government.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#15 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:23 am

Here is something to chew on, the Americans gave us some of the greatest Sci Fi films committed to film, monsters of the ID, giant
insects, Tarantulas, blobs etc, but the most thoughtful came from Britain, the "Village of The Damned". Chilren" etc," Day the Earth Caught Fire", the Quatermass films, one man being infected by a biological pest, in the second film, a whole Government being infected,
the third was the idea that we were the children of Martians! Coupled with "Wicker Man", it throws up some questions but answers a lot more.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:28 am

Well how about when certain celebrations in Devon are carried out, strangers are moved on, fact Paul, Wicker Man tapped into
this ecology, some religions are very secret.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:30 am | Top

#17 by Paul Browning , Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:31 am

Children of the Damned frightened me to bloody death that film, a good film, and the Quatermass films must refer to the use of chemical based warfare and what could and
would have happened if these mad men were aloud to use them on mass, and we were just as guilty as anyone else.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

Last edited 03.20.2016 | Top

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:22 am

Like Paul, I too like many of the classic musicals that Derann released and of course, the Disney features. So I for one, wasn't ever too disappointed by what Derann chose to put out there in the 80's and 90's, if I'm honest.

I do like Adventure, Fantasy, Action and Horror films also, but I'm not bothered for Westerns or Vampire films etc.
As has been already said, it's very much a case of each to their own with favourite film genres from one individual to another, I feel.

Pretty much in the way Rock and Heavy Metal fans could never get Rnb and Soul music and vice versa I'd say.

Ultimately, I like a film to offer escapism of any kind, and that can just as easily be a psychological thriller as one full of gore and violence with peoples innards splattered everywhere, for someone like myself to enjoy the film.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:30 am | Top

#19 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:58 pm

True enough Andrew, film is there for all moods and tastes, but what amazed me with Derann, when Derek was alive, were that they
had the rights to the "Dollar" westerns, now these films surely would have been great sellers, he had the rights to Fox, he could have
given us "Planet of the Apes" in 'scope, chances that won't come again, surely the latter was a far better film than "Independence Day",
which was poor at best, Aliens defeated because luckily their computers used the same plugs and outlets!!

Hugh Thompson Scott

#20 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:08 pm

USB 2 conectors 'are' a universal standard though.

Never seen all of The Wicker Man so won't comment on that one, Straw Dogs I watch that at the pictures underage too I think, enjoyed that.

I would have bought The Itailain Job and the first two apes films, and the 'Dollar films YES PLEASE. Sadly they would cost more than a few dollars more.

Now the internet is here it opens up the world of film collecting, by that I mean seeing the releases from other non English speaking counties. How different some of the releases were. A lot made the UK stuff look second rate.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 60

#21 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:01 am

You must see "The Wicker Man" David, I'm sure if released on 8mm, it would be another Star Wars, prints of this film are very
rare indeed on 16mm, missed one over twenty years ago in the "Big Reel", never ever seen another one.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Service manual for Heurtier Stereo 42 wanted

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor