RE: Alien

#26 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:00 am

The problem Andrew is the gate guides in Elmos, they wear, different film cuts different depths, it has been largely ignored, but
the problem exists, the Elmo collector is probably ignorant of this fact, putting it down to faulty slitting by the distributor, but not always, but what the hell do I know.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#27 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:20 am

A lot? My Pinocchio Comes to Life was sideways moving. Mr. Parsons treated the film and now it runs nicely

I am Elmo because it was my first projector. Now waiting for the same type, just for the nostalgia. ST-600

16mm I have Bauers, an Eiki, but prefer the Elmo 1-CL with the easy slot load

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#28 by Gwyn Morgan , Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:21 am

Talking of Alien have you seen on eBay uk just gone on 16mm print of same £199 scope

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 265

#29 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:34 am

Andrew, with all respect, seriously, when were these modified gates put into production? The gate guides wore like hell. Mr Elmo
said not, but seeing as he sold out to video, who is he to judge, the side gates wear, I have used these friggin' machines since made.
new, they are great, with use they are atrocious, the Japs are today people, tomorrow? They were feudal until a few centuries ago.
I am not enraptured by the yellow peril, sorry.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#30 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:55 am

Which is why a good machine such as the Fumeo is built to near professional standards.
Minimal points of contact with the film. " TOOLS NOT TOYS ". hahahaha !

David Hardy

#31 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:57 am

Vidar some of the 35mm prints were printed with side weave around this time.
you should have seen the side weave on some prints of " THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK ".

David Hardy

#32 by Paul Browning , Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:58 am

"The yellow peril" lol. I would like to see the gate design on the fumeo transferred to the elmo, it has the very minimum contact with the film here, the sideway correction
looks the same in both machines to me, maybe a little more refined in the Elmo, but the Fumeo has rails in place of just planished metal on the Elmo, I could see a problem there
with the film skidding sideways when warn. The Fumeo could teach the Elmo a trick or two that's for sure, I may just have look at some material I machine called zirconia, which
polishes like a glass finish and would not be affected by film transport for in a very long time if ever, I believe some of these parts could be made from this material with a fit and
forget notion in mind, including rollers and some guides maybe.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#33 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:06 am

Paul is correct in saying that the situation on gate positioning for correct gate conformation, fine, but my gate guides do seem to wear out, indeed I do seem to have to regrind them, often. The Fumeo, I notice doesn't need the same attention, maybe better materials were used,
mild steel is NOT the answer, Carbon steel,perhaps rollers were not beyond the "sons of Nippon", as an after point, their fighting art leaves much to be desired.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:09 am | Top

#34 by Paul Browning , Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:25 am

Just that simple guide could be made from cubic zirconia Hugh, trust me Mucca, its harder than metal, it's a new use of ceramics, we are now making the drive spindles for
studio tape recorder out of this material, tolerance 2microns of roundness !!!!!!. This is the bit that the tape pinch roller transports the tape across the tape heads, its amazing
bloody material. Highly classified material, mod and space age stuff.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Some 400 footers

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor