Keith Emerson of ELP Dies

#1 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:26 am

I am very saddened to read this today that Keith Emerson,of the band Emerson,Lake and Palmer has passed. Being a big fan of progressive rock from the 1970's, ELP (along with bands like Yes, Genesis,King Crimson,etc.) were a big influence on me. With the passing last year of Chris Squire (bassist and founder of Yes) this genre of music is losing some of it's true legends. R.I.P. Keith...Thank you for the many years of musical memories.

Douglas Warren

RE: Keith Emerson of ELP Dies

#2 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:48 am

Yes sad news indeed. I was a big fan of ELP back in the early 70s.
The news reported it was a suicide. It was stated he shot himself in the head.
The reason being he was suffering from a degenerative nerve disease that prevented
him from playing.

David Hardy
Last edited Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:48 am | Top

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:11 am

Well that sad news has certainly ruined my week end, they were one of my favourite prog rock bands, along with 'Floyd, when my brother went to Canada with my Father, what did he bring me as a souvenir of his visit, an ELP LP. I remember Carl Palmer their
classically trained drummer saying how he wanted this huge gong, they paid a fortune for it, hit it a couple of times, but its main
function on stage was to protect the percussionist from Keith who used to hurl daggers at his keyboards etc! There is no doubt he
was a terrific musician, my favourite LP being "Pictures At An Exhibition", and his music for Dario Argento's "Inferno" was superb.
I can understand after reading David's news why he committed suicide, his love being his music, but ability being taken away to play it, yet another chip off the iceberg.
R.I.P. Keith Emerson, one of the truly greats, we will miss you.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:12 am | Top

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:04 pm

I too had a pressing of Pictures At An Exhibition. I bought it when it was hot of the record presses.
I recall it was sold at a special price of ... 99 pence. It had a gatefold sleeve.
My now deceased best friend David Petrie and I were crazy about ELP .
Happy Memories of days of youth now long gone.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Ken Adam RIP

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor