Hugh Son Of Kong

#1 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:09 pm

Hugh Your Son Of Kong how many reels is it? I have King Kong which I think came on 6x400ft I ordered that when first released. That would have been the first full length feature I bought, the others were all abridged 4x400ft. Mighty Joe Young I don't think its the complete version. I made it longer by combining 2x400ft with 4x400ft I think it should have been 5x400ft. My Son Of Kong fits on a 1200ft reel, but it was only a short 70 minutes.

It was always hard to understand Mountain Films actions they seemed to put out many versions of their titles.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

Vidar Olavesen likes this

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

RE: Hugh Son Of Kong

#2 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:17 pm

I've been called the son of many things in my time, but never the Son of Kong, Ha, Hi Dave, funnily enough, the full feature only
runs for 69 minutes, so there are just a few scenes missing from the beginning with Carl Denham ruing his loss of Kong and the
City of New York about to take steps against him for damages, so all the animation is intact. I have mine mounted on a 1200'
too, it is not a patch on the original Kong, but is a nice revisit to Skull Island. I don't know if you ever saw the 200' cut down from Ken Films, but the print was stunning, not that Mountains is bad, far from it, but that little silent certainly had the edge. As for "Mighty Joe
Young", again a nice print, but I had the chance of buying Phil's own print of the complete feature, I think it was 7x400', so the shorter version was traded in eventually, again, the 200' was stunning. Overall, I think the old Apes were well represented on 8mm, They still pop up frequently on 16mm

David Ollerearnshaw likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:18 pm | Top

#3 by Panayotis Carayannis , Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:29 pm

Hugh,your print is 7x400 ??? Does it have about ten minutes per reel !!!??? My print comes from Thunderbird,in 3x400 OVERfilled reels,i.e. complete. I like the film. The plot is a good jungle adventure with fine atmosphere and top special effects. The problem that destroys it, is the character of the star who is turned from a ferocious animal into a comic with Stan Laurel mannerisms

Panayotis Carayannis  
Panayotis Carayannis
Date registered 12.05.2015
ThankYou 48

#4 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi Panayotis, no the print of "Mighty Joe" was on 7 spools, the ""Son" was on 4x400's, I didn't know that T'Bird had released it complete.
I too share your view, indeed I think everyone does, the film was advertised as a "Serio- comedy", a big mistake, although the film is not
without charm and the fights with the cave bear and unknown dinosaur make it worth the while. Surprisingly, the bulk of the animation was done by Obie's assistant from Kong,Buzz Gibson, as he was going through a hard time in his life, he was separated from his first wife, who shot
and killed their two son's before turning the gun on herself, she died inside a year, unfortunately the poor woman suffered from TB, cancer and depression. So I can imagine making that film was not the happiest experience.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:44 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Blackhawk Films PREVUE 8

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor