RE: Oh, of course ...

#26 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:48 pm

Absolutely agree Doug! It all boils down to personal preferences, plus how deep your wallet is. And isn't that how it always happens Vidar? That sought after print pops up when you can least afford it! I would like to venture into 16mm someday. But storage would definitely be a problem at this time. I barely have room for my little 8mm reels!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan

#27 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:16 am

Paul I can support Hugh's reply regarding 16mm paid commercial showings.
Yes there were some smaller cinemas that used that gauge.
In particular some rural cinemas used it as standard. The prints were produced
to the same high standards care and quality of the 35mm copies.
As regards hire fees for Private showings a premium film title could cost as
much as £ 75.00 per One Day's Hire.
For example the !6mm Rank Film Library 1978/79 quotes this fee for JAWS .
F.D.A. one day hire fee for ALIEN was £ 50.00 while an older title such as THUNDERBALL
could be hired for a mere £ 25.00 per night.

David Hardy
Last edited Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:17 am | Top

#28 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:36 am

I'm with you here Timothy. Storage soon becomes a real issue for me and noise if I'm honest.

I could not run a noisy machine in the times I tend to watch my films in the small house we own.
I would need a separate room and a booth before it would even be a consideration for me.

I get to play my soundtracks during the winter day times at good levels but when it's dark at night I just keep the sound really low through its internal speakers and rely on the machine itself to go about its business as quietly as is possible to allow the rest of the family to sleep well without my activities disturbing them.

Games up for me once noise becomes an issue and then it would be digital only sadly.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:40 am | Top

#29 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:31 pm

The problem of noisy projectors is easily solved if you cant have projection box. (booth)
You can always build a simple projector "blimp" from wood , sound proof the wood with
some kind of sound deadening pad. There you go its that easy.

David Hardy

#30 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:33 pm

I'd have no room for the "Blimp" David! Seriously, i cannot take one other feature at the moment until I clear out some of the ones I am not AS fond of or cannot view on my machines of preference. That is how tight space is for me right now.

I just hate noisy projectors full stop anyhow. To me, once they are very noisy, they ain't handling our films as well as they could or should and completely spoil the soundtrack on my viewings.

Certainly, that is my findings with S8 anyhow.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:38 pm | Top

#31 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:51 pm

Andrew its a shame about your space problem as a blimp would have been ideal for you.
I have a space problem myself due to the amount of Films,LPs, Books , etc etc etc I have
mangaged to accrue over the decades.
I guess I am lucky as I now stay on my own in a 2 bedroomed Terraced house.
So what I do affects no one else except maybe the neighbours and the odd spider.
In a way I dwell in an extended "Man Cave 2 as they say these days.

David Hardy

#32 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:42 pm

Sounds like that could get warm? If you make air holes, the sound escape again I assume? Cooling system maybe? At least my GS-1200 Xenon gets quite hot

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#33 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:44 pm

I'd say you really need that machine going in a booth Vidar by preference.
I loved seeing how Ugo housed his when I posted here a while back.
He shuts the door, then the projector is barely audible in his screening room.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:55 pm | Top

#34 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Heat not a problem then?

It is noisy, fan is loud. But still, after starting the film, I don't really notice it

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#35 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:55 pm

I think the heat would very much be a problem on this model Vidar if you were to cocoon it in any way!
Those delicate electronics and it's powerful lamp and fan very much rely on good air circulation.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:57 pm | Top

#36 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:06 pm

That was my fear too. Hopefully I can get my own cinema building some day :-) Play loud and a bigger screen. Dreams can come true .. . I hope

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#37 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:02 pm

The air circulation will not be a problem if you direct a couple of say Computer fans at the correct point.
However it is still necessary to remember to provide some form of ventilation and air circulation.
Even allowing for this there will still be a significant reduction in mechanical noise and of course that
other evil ... light spillage from the projector lamp housing on some machines.

David Hardy

#38 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:03 pm

Non applicable thankfully on either of mine David. Who needs a ceiling uplighter?

You want all of that lamp intensity hitting the screen!

Andrew Woodcock

#39 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:11 pm

Just seen a few 16mm on ebay US, which makes the point I think of 16mm being in many cases cheaper than S/8.
"Singing in the Rain", a lovely print, good colour, one day to run, £109.00 last bid, "Victory At Sea" BIN £93.00
"Son of Kong" £107.00 no bids. I reckon that compares favourably with any super 8 prints, I still have the very rare "Son of Kong"
on S/8, I would think it would get £100 easily on ebay, here's a nice print on 16mm for a bargain price.
I notice the "ALIEN" has hit the £300.00 plus mark, this is when I would ask for some decent pictures, never mind the pictures
of film cans, which are meaningless, as are the strange two pics with them.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#40 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:55 pm

Damn, it gets too expensive now. I was on up to 400, but now I have to throw in the towel. If anyone has an Alien print they'd let go for about 400, I'd love to get a chance at it :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#41 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:29 pm

Vidar, don't beat yourself up, there must be dozens of them out there, not everyone wants to hang onto their's, but it does surface
from time to time, as proves. My advice would be to place an ad in Phil's magazine for a print, people still respond to adverts in mags,
or drop a line to our erstwhile dealer friends, I'm sure they will keep an "eye out" for a print for you, believe me, half this hobby is patience and vigilance, I keep an eye for Disney features that Andrew might want, for instance a lovely print of "Cinderella" a bargain
price, but 16mm, I look too for his Robocop, no doubt it too will turn up, they always do, as will "Alien".

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott

#42 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:47 pm

I have sent queries to Barry and Steve Osborne. Will try Phil and an ad is a good idea. Akso asked on Facebook. Crossing my fingers

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#43 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:12 pm

Don't forget Barry at Indy 8, Ian at Perry's and Tony at Buckingham Films, they will let you know if one becomes available.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#44 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:17 pm

I had to smile when David mentioned blimps, I made one, you could stand up in it, it was three sided, a removable roof and projection
port with sliding side flaps for to kill ambient light, it worked a treat, unfortunately, I left it behind in my flat when I moved. The lads told me how the foreman was convinced I'd been giving puppet shows, as he couldn't figure out what else it was for!

Hugh Thompson Scott

#45 by Paul Browning , Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:31 pm

I feel for you Vidar, I'm watching the bidding, and quite cleverly the seller lowered the reserve price, which then immediately give's everyone a chance again and so the
bidding goes mad from then on, rarely does something on ebay stick at the just above the reserve price and stay there. From the pictures you can never know how good or bad
it is. Why don't you ask Alberto on the other forum Vidar, he has access to some the best quality prints on offer form any one on the forum, yes maybe more than you want to pay
but, I can honestly say the prints are all first rate, and if you spend your hard earned cash on something you love then get the best quality print. Most of my recent prints have been
off him, some of the prints he offered me were once in a life time prints, Spiderman, Fantastic voyage, Halloween, star trek, T2, DIE HARD WITH A VENGENCE, RAIDERS, ETC.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#46 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:19 pm

Well done Paul, fingers crossed Vidar gets his film, no doubt he will, in the meantime, what about that nice 35mm Terminator?

Hugh Thompson Scott

#47 by Paul Browning , Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Core blimey mate, if only I collected 35mm, T2 I now have from Alberto, but I bet the 35mm doesn't fetch as much. I would imagine the 35mm version would be more rare
but not as many collectors around. I see there's a Clint Eastwood 16mm spaghetti on Ebay HUGH, but you're probably already watching it ?.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#48 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:17 pm

If that's "Fistful" Paul, nailed a print many years ago IB Tech 16MM, mines flat, but my little 'oppo in Italy, Flavio Stabile has a gorgeous
print in 'scope, the lucky little devil.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#49 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:36 pm

Well, to put things in perspective, it is tough when a favoured title gets into silly money territory, I had the same thing happen
a couple of years ago, I thought I had a print of "Support Your Local Gunfighter" in a corner, then serious competition, it went
for about £300.00, then I thought about postage and the dreaded customs charges, then common sense says, to hell with it, another WILL come along, they always do.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#50 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:50 pm

I went crazy, since my refinance went through and I WON IT. Feel happy, though it was quite expensive

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Eivind Mork

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Hugh Son Of Kong

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor