35mm Film Storage.

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi Guys
Just wondering how big your 35mm collection is ?
How do you store your prints and importantly do you have them on a stone/concrete
or wooden floor ?

David Hardy

RE: 35mm Film Storage.

#2 by Mats Abelli , Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:38 pm

I have about 45 features, a couple of shorts and 50+ trailers. I store them on cores in plastic cans or cardboard boxes on metal shelves. My house is all wooden, so are the floors.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:52 pm

I think I have about 30 or so, but going to keep 5-8 titles or so. Stored in some metal shelves (100kg pr. shelf) lying in plastic cans and metal cans

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:13 pm

Hey guys ... How are your wooden floors coping with the weight ?

David Hardy

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:31 pm

Carpet might be full of marks, but otherwise it's cool. Wooden floor on top of concrete

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#6 by Mats Abelli , Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:46 pm

No problem with the floors. I have metal shelves in my projection both. They can carry up to 265 kgs/shelf. In Scandinavia we have a tradition on building houses of wood. I believe it´s a bigger problem in a house with brickwalls an a wooden floor. The all wood construction keeps up the weight "all around". ( I have an oak floor in the projecion both )

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:51 pm

The subject was mentioned in "How big are peoples collections", as I stated there, normal floor joists are not meant to carry
what amounts to substantial weight in one place. My advice would be to fasten some strong shelving to a solid wall to help
take the strain and to spread load evenly by having any legs placed on a sound plank, believe me, loading up an upstairs floor
with great weight is storing up trouble.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#8 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Believe me Mats, any building, brick, stone or timber construction, won't carry undue load, depending on span of joist and depth,
usually at 14'' centres spacing and average 8''- 9'' depth,in the UK. There was recently an accident in a car showroom, where the floor could
not stand the load, obviously they hadn't checked it out first, the same problem exists for suspended concrete flooring.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:18 pm | Top

#9 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:16 pm

Hugh ... Thanks for your very sound advice and expertise on this serious matter.
I have most of my 35mm downstairs , stored under the "cubby-hole" under the stairs
on a concrete floor. However my 16mm and 9.5mm and 8mm prints are upstairs in a
spare bedroom on bookshelves. Do you think I should store them on wall mounted
shelfs to keep them off the floor ? I know 16mm prints can be heavy too.
Add to that the fact that all the projectors are there too.
I am a bit worried about this issue.

David Hardy

#10 by Mats Abelli , Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Hugh! Thank you for your advice. I know that you are a pro builder, but a ton of films is not that much. A skilled engineer made the construction plan, when we built the second floor. You are welcome to inspect my building ( and watch some films ).

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Mats, I'm not casting aspersions on your construction by any means, but many properties suffer with age, dry rot, wet rot, woodworm etc, even bad building practice, not all buildings are perfect in maintenance. Architects remember design very tall buildings that are firetraps, but that aside, all our members dwell in buildings
that are quite different in design, the construction of a building for living purposes is totally different in load bearing flooring as a
building in commercial use, where load is a prime factor. My concern would be for a collector squirreling away a mass of film, on a
floor that is not designed to carry it, thus storing up trouble, weight is constant and if its being added to, eventually something will
give. The building practices in modern times have changed but not for the better in some cases.

Mats Abelli likes this
Mats Abelli sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:40 pm | Top

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:28 pm

I meant to add, many thanks for that lovely invite Mats, but its a helluva trip.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#13 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:42 pm

David, "don't panic Capt. Mainwaring, don't panic!", the safest way would be to put up your shelving on a solid wall, with
the struts to the wall, therefore transmitting load to wall, which is built to do this job. My concerns are for some poor guy
who thinks his flooring is without fault, then suddenly, catastrasope. Hence why I suggested putting a plank under any legs of shelving to spread load. David you are a sensible man and your flagging this up
shows that, spread the load between wall and floor, just to be safe, front legs to floor with a plank to cover load to joists, just in case of damage.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:10 pm | Top

#14 by Mats Abelli , Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:31 pm

Hugh! Scandinavia is not that far away. A two hour flight to Copenhagen and three hours by train, and you are where I live. I visited CHC and Blackpool last year. I believe that I will listen to your wise words and bolt the shelwes to the wall. I´m quite shure that my floor can hold much more weight, but you can never be 100% shure.

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

#15 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:08 pm

Hugh ... Thanks for that. No panic at all now. hahahaha !!!
I was following my gut instincts as to what to do. After your advice it seems I was right.
I will have do the same for my LPs and Books.
Cheers my friend.

David Hardy

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:49 pm

No problem David, always err on the side of caution, never take something as perfect unless you can check it out. A floor is the
epitomy of deception, it is covered by floorboard, underneath a plaster ceiling, or if ground floor, not counting a concrete floor,
a suspended one, equally secretive. I have had a ground floor fail on me many years ago while removing a stone chimney breast, the room
was in a terraced house, a modest size room about 15'x12', the weight of stone on the floor was no more than 7-8 CWT, suddenly it
all dropped, three or four joists had failed, so I had the job of jacking up the floor and building a dwarf wall underneath for support.
My late Brother in law told me of one site he worked on, where the "chippies" joined up two pieces of joist with a flattened paint tin to make the desired length!!! Hence my caution. If you place a few vertical 4x2s to the wall, your shelves with struts to them, and front
legs resting on a plank or similar, it should be as safe as houses, weight is then transmitted to the wall/floor. Keep safe.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:50 pm | Top

#17 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:09 pm

Hugh ... Your a valuable mine of information regarding this problem. I cant thank you enough for that.
Bloody Hell ... That's a nightmare of a story regarding the floor joists and the fireplace removal.
I guess I now have a very busy DIY schedule ahead of me now.

David Hardy

#18 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:10 pm

I think we should ALL take heed of Hugh's advice regarding storage.

David Hardy

#19 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:14 pm

Hugh ... I just remembered there is a house builder here in Aberdeen who gives caution to potential buyers
NOT to have more than X amount of people in the Living Room at the same time.
I KID YE NOT !!!

David Hardy

#20 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:04 am

Would someone please post a pic of themselves standing next to or holding a 35mm reel so I could get an idea of just how big and heavy one of those are? I have no idea, but they sound monstrous!

Timothy Duncan

#21 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:47 am

Thanks for those very kind words David, I can believe the builder's advice, maybe he used 4x2 fence rail. As a little thought, everyone just
about has electricity and central heating, imagine the horror if you could see how your flooring joists have been weakened by plumbers
and electricians notching joists to lay pipes and cables, not to mention the joist ends that have just got a hold, nothing is ever as safe as
you might think it is. Anyway, remember David to fix to an outside wall, internals, even solid ones are usually "a dead man", or a wall that is not bonded, just butted up and not tied in, not always, but can be, so avoid int. wall, ext. are safest and strongest.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:52 am | Top

#22 by Mats Abelli , Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:14 am

Timothy! Here´s a picture, so you can compare. The Super 8 is a two-reeler, appx 20mins. The black can is containing appx 20 minutes 35mm film. A normal feature comes in 6-10 cans.

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

#23 by Mats Abelli , Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:26 am

Hugh! we used 10 x2, when we built my home cinema. No plumber or electician have drilled holes in my construction. In my projection booth, were I store my 35mm films, I have a 1/2 inch solid oak floor on the floorboards.

Mats Abelli
ThankYou 112

#24 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:35 am

Timothy ... 8mm is tiny when compared to 35mm / 70mm. Here in the UK we named 8mm the " Bootlace Gauge ".
As for the weight . Well after working as a Cinema Projectionist ( on / off ) for the past 45 years I now have the
aches and pains that come with the turf lugging 35mm prints around. In other words 35mm is BLOODY HEAVY !!!
In Boxing terms its the difference between Featherweight and Heavyweight fighters. Hahaha !

David Hardy

#25 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:32 pm

A fair analogy there David, one feature steals space at an alarming rate, and is heavy. Mats, I have no doubt your structure is
soundly built, but my concerns are for collectors that live in very much older properties that over the years have been "knocked about"
by modernising etc. Indeed, a few years ago I was involved on a project of remedial work to three shops that were nearly 300 years old.
The timbers were at various stages of decay, imagine someone storing huge weight on flooring like this. Houses, not only new build, but
the pre & post war dwellings, were not constructed to carry the weight of what amounts to a car on flooring joists, the only thing I'm trying to do is guide folk on how best to distribute weight without two rooms becoming one, with consequences.

Mats Abelli likes this
Mats Abelli sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
How rare is 28mm?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor