STANDARD 8MM SOUND IS KING ... 1969 STYLE

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:31 am

Here are a couple of quotes regarding the Super 8 mm Vs Standard 8 mm revolution in Film Libraries.
I culled them from an article by Dennis Gifford entitled ... " Now it's Talkies in the Sitting Room "
... Movie Maker Magazine ( 1969 ).

When asked about what was happening in the 8mm Sound Feature field here is what they replied.

" Our super 8 library is growing, but we are somewhat reserved about it. In fact our laboratory
tell me that a great deal of the super 8 prints they make are damaged to some extent before
they come off the processing machines ! " ... Keith Perry of Perry's Movies.

" We wish to state that none of our exclusive features will be released in super 8 "
... Derek Simmonds of Derann Film Services.

" I have virtually stopped buying silent films as 80 per cent of the demand is for sound films now.
In super 8 the demand is almost non -existent. I wish I had never bought any super 8 silent - they
are a write off and scarcely ever go out. Super 8 sound goes quite well , but still nowhere near as
well as standard 8. " ... John Seccombe of Seccombe Cine Services.

My how things changed rapidly with in about 3 -4 years when most 8mm Package Film Companies
ceased printing Standard 8mm product " due to lack of demand " ... AHEM !!!

Mats Abelli likes this
David Hardy

RE: STANDARD 8MM SOUND IS KING ... 1969 STYLE

#2 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:46 am

It's a shame Standard 8 didn't last a bit longer, as the quality on most releases was very good indeed, I've got quite a bit of Standard 8 going on my next lists, with titles like a F/L print of "Metropolis" with a stripe ready for adding music etc., even got a print of "Touch of Evil", now when do you see that title for sale.

Mats Abelli likes this
Barry Attwood

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:23 pm

In actual fact, the UK kept up the printing of std 8mm film long after the USA and others had called it a day. Derek
Simmonds himself said that the damage done to Super 8 prints on return from hire was terrible, but the std 8mm prints
were returned virtually unharmed to their library. A lot of the problem lay in the auto thread mechanisms of some projectors
and in lots of cases poor designed machines. The std 8mm brigade had been using the old Eumigs no doubt, that were only part
auto thread and designed to care for film. I still maintain that the old gauge was more robust, even now it is possible to obtain
very good condition prints, as Barry knows, as I bought "Devil Doll" from him, a very nice print indeed.

Mats Abelli likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:36 pm

Barry and Hugh ... You are both correct there with your comments.
I am sad that Standard 8mm did not last much longer.
I would liked to have seen what " State of the Art " Standard 8mm could have
been like in the 1990s / 2000 era.
Shame really as I prefer handling Standard 8mm stock.

Mats Abelli likes this
David Hardy

#5 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:48 pm

I have never liked those "teensy" perforations on Super 8mm film.

Mats Abelli likes this
David Hardy

#6 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:12 pm

Have to say our experience in Standard 8 is excellent, all but one.
We have quite a few standard 8s and i am still on the look out for the feature of Psycho, the picture and sound is usually A1 in every way.
The exception was when we purchased a full length 5 x 400 foot colour sound copy of an old western called Great Day in the Morning with Robert Stack.
It had a fantastic sharp image and colour that was almost like technicolour, unfortunately the sound was badly muffled. Other than this one all STD 8s were superb.
We recently bought from Barry at Indi 8 a 400 foot super 8 L & H short, the live ghost, this was to replace our STD 8 copy as it didn't have any titles, unfortunately, upon viewing Barry's Walton one we realised that it appears to have two very small edits which means that aside the titles missing the old STD 8 copy is complete so we will keep both for a short time.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 512

#7 by Mats Abelli , Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:54 pm

Unfortunately, Walton used to edit all films, even cartoons and shorts.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#8 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:47 am

Tom. Yes poor sound can be an issue on some Standard 8mm prints. However this is also true for Super 8mm too.
I guess its just a compromise we have to live with. Failing that we can always re-record but that can be a problem
with cutdowns.
Of course there is always the "pulse-synch " option with DVD/BLURAY/ TAPE audio tracks as the source as used by
some.
However I am a bit like Barry Littlechild in the sense that I want to hear whats on the magnetic stripe or optical
track.
I had a copy of HIGH NOON feature on Standard 8mm that I had to sadly return to Barry as the level of "wow" and pitch
variation on the sound was just to much for me to live with....SIGH !!!!

David Hardy
Last edited Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:50 am | Top

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:28 am

That's a sad tale David, I bought the same title from my 'ol pal Tony Churcher on std 8mm, which he didn't care for. The track was okay, not Hi - Fi, but audible, it could have been transferred from one S709 to another quite simply. It was shown in an old "Movie Maker"
where someone had connected two projectors by removing the inching knobs and substituting two gears and a length of chain from a Mecchano set, hence two machines with a physical link, just needing sync marks,set in forward record and started at the same time by
switching on at the socket.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#10 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:33 am

Hugh yes I had to return it after a lot of thought and unfortunately a "heavy heart".
Still the search goes on.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Euro millions

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor