NEW BOOKS

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:08 am

Just read Roger Moore's book "Last Man Standing", a collection of anecdotes and stories from the TV Film World, now I like Moore,
but I don't think he realised what a pillock he shows himself to be, he is a creep, John Mills who I once admired comes across as
a little opinionated shit, I hate them all, false self loved rubbish you wouldn't want to know, I think Peter Cushing and his ilk showed
them all the road home, a quiet gentleman who knew his trade, never felt the need to tell tales, didn't get any honours, but stands
above 'em all, with the exception of my heroes Sir Chris and Vincent Price, not to mention Boris & Bela, very special Gentlemen.

Hugh Thompson Scott

RE: NEW BOOKS

#2 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Hugh,
I always felt that Peter Cushing & Vincent Price both came across as first class gentlemen of the old school variety.Trying to find people with that level of class in today's entertainment world is like the proverbial needle in the haystack.

Douglas Warren

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:09 pm

You're right there Doug, Vincent Price, I love the guy, I understand he had a great sense of humour. Chris Lee in conversation with
him over the 'phone, was relating how his friend Peter Cushing was hoping that when he died, he would be reunited with his beloved wife Helen, to which Vincent the wag replied, "Yes, but what if she's out?" Vincent revealed what a TRUE Star & kind man he was, while
making my favourite film of his, "Witchfinder General", in the USA known as "The Conqueror Worm", meals failed to turn up for cast and crew, he took them all out to be fed at his expense, that is the mark of a true Gentleman, a far cry from some of those today.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#4 by Tom Photiou , Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:39 pm

Unfortunately,(i know roger Moore isn't young but---), it appears that today Actors and Actresses are very much up there own asses, just look at them posing for camera's at film gatherings. Who do they think they are? They do a job which is great but so ridiculously over paid it plays on there ego's. That is until they are no longer required!
Peter Cushing & the like were so down to earth, he had his breakfasts at a run of the mill English Cafe even when he was famous. Great people.
Even Ennio Morriconie for all his fame and fortune is such a humble person, never shows off, does not like interviews and if you watch him at the premier of The hateful eight he just wears his every day smart clothes with a flat cap and coat, when the photographers & fans ask him for a picture he stands there without posing and then walks on and says very little. Even when we went to see him they presented him with his BAFTA award and as fast as it was handed to him, he passed it back, said a few words in Italian and then straight onto the rest of the concert. These are the real "celebrities", not the opinionated wooden ones of today.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:55 pm

Its a very different world today than back then Tom. People crave fame and fortune like never before and the camera along with media hype, is king these days.
If you want to see the antics of spoiled brats in today's world, look no further than a top flight footie match in any of the leagues!

A mate of mine in work, when he was 10, used sneak in at O/T as his Mum never used to give him any money. He was walking home after the match and one of the players back then was enquiring about his welfare as he was young to be out on his own after a night game with a red and white scarf tied around his wrist.
When he explained he had no money so he was walking back home to Salford, he gave him a lift home in his car!

This of course all happened in the very early 70's and somehow, in similar circumstances, I cannot imagine Sergio Aguero having the same concerns for one of his young loyal followers as this player did all of those years ago!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:02 pm | Top

#6 by Del Phillipson ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:21 pm

Andrew, I will say this about Sergio Aguero. This season he had a new shirt number, he then offered to personally either refund all fans who had purchased a new shirt with the old number on or personally sign the old shirt. This was widely publicised at the time, must admit can't think of many others who would have done the same.

Del Phillipson

#7 by Paul Browning , Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:02 pm

I liked Roger Moore's Simon Templar, and Brett Sinclair, but was never a fan of his James Bond's really. I'm surprised that he come's across has insincere Hugh, and
a bit false, and john mills I could never weigh him up. As for Peter Cushing, he alway's seemed sincere, very underated screen actor I think, unlike Christopher
Lee he didn't mind being type cast as van helsing or the doctor, because people enjoyed the films he made, and was happy to do them just for that simple reason. I
would have liked to have seen the "below the knee" shots of him in star wars, as apparently could not wear the knee high boots as they were too uncomfortable,
so was aloud to wear his "carpet slippers". I doubt wether Roger Moore would be that worried about anything we say Hugh, he must be worth a few bob, he live's
a very nice life off the back of this.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#8 by David Ollerearnshaw , Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:59 pm

Sadly not too many of the old school left now. Peter Cushing always gave an Oscar performance however poor the film was. Still like to watch Blood Beast Terror. Thought he got an OBE?

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:51 pm

I think he did Dave, but not a coveted Knighthood, which if you are in the athletics game or name of the month, its bestowed. The
reason I have the knife drawn on John Mills, who I used to admire, was when out dining, the waiter kept referring to him and his
wife as "Mr & Mrs Mills", which should have been Sir & Lady, Mrs Mills made a point of it to the poor guy, that he was a Knight of the Realm, John mumbled into his soup, he carried on eating, that "he'd waited long enough for one". Good job the waiter didn't have my temperament, he'd have been wearing the rest of his meal!! Jumped up little bastard, who the hell do they think they are? Actors at
one time were likened to footpads, in my opinion they still are, at least some of them. Roger Moore I thought was a decent sort, but in
this book of mostly secondhand anecdotes, the rest is about him & Sinatra, Peck and the rest of the Hollywood set, I weighed him up
as a creep, and I hate creeps.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
PLEASE LOG-IN.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor