600ft box's for feature's

#1 by Paul Browning , Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:35 pm

Any one know a source for the derann style box to house the features they did, very much in the Disney style. I have a few new feature 's to rehouse and tidy up, most of these
are now as old as the films themselves, so 80's 90's, and have been in the wars a bit, will eventually get some new box art too. Thank you guy's.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

RE: 600ft box's for feature's

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:42 pm

I have never been able to find any nowadays Paul. It's hard enough trying to find the 600ft single plain card boxes! If you want to go halves on a batch of 500, we could get some made. Same for single 600ft boxes.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:50 pm | Top

#3 by Paul Browning , Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:18 pm

HI ANDREW, WHAT DO THEY COST ?. I HAD A LOOK ON EBAY LASTNIGHT COULDN'T SEE ANYHTING SUITABLE, BUT I HAVE A BOX FROM MY BEYERDYNAMIC HEADPHONES
WHICH IS VERY CLOSE TO THE SIZE OF THE BOX WE NEED. I HAD A GOOD LOOK BUT NO SIGN OF A MANUFACTURER ON IT. I WAS GOING TO MAKE SOME OUT OF THE CORREX
MATERIAL, LOOKS LIKE CORRIGATED PLASTIC SHEET, AND VERY STRONG, IT'S USED FOR SIGN'S AND PACKAGE'S, THIS WOULD NOT DETERIATE OVER TIME EITHER, YOU CAN
GET IT IN 3MM THICKNESS WHICH WOULD BE PERFECTLY GOOD AS A BOX FOR FILM.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:15 pm

As for cost Paul, we would have to look into that by enquiring around. Card can be expensive enough in fairly large batches Paul, so I would really have to see before committing to purchasing something even more expensive in Plastic. They would be great but generally speaking, to get any manufacturer of things like cartons to be interested in "Jigging" for you, you need to offer them at least a few hundred off for first batch quantities.

The good news is, once manufactured, we would be the sole suppliers of these!

I have plenty of Derann feature boxes already Paul to get the exact measurements and gsm / caliper from.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:06 pm | Top

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:31 pm

An answer might be to utilise and abandon the flimsy card boxes and use the plastic and tin boxes used by the sweetie and
biscuit companies. I have done this myself, the square plastic ones are ideal, after a bit of wire wool has removed the"piccies
of bickies" and various lettering, you have a very nice container to house your 600' feature. A few holes drilled will vent it, likewise
with the round toffee tins, a coat of black paint, and a label is all that's required, plus a couple of vent holes. I have received films
packed in tins, and one that came from France, "Mask of the Demon", was a 5x400' stored in this little tin container that fits the 400'
spools perfectly.

Mats Abelli likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#6 by Mats Abelli , Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:56 pm

Good idea Hugh! I have I have saved some boxes in my garage to sort nuts, bolts, screws and nails, but I will make a try with film reels.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks Mats, it is certainly cost effective, just put the word around to relatives, neighbours and friends, you'll be up to your shoulders in 'em, and it gets you full marks for recycling.

Mats Abelli likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:25 pm

It's a great idea Hugh and I know Phil at CHC is big fan for promoting Pizza boxes for the storage of films.
Personally, for me, I just want to try and replace or replicate the original Derann or other company original boxes for look and feel.
I will always try to use the original artwork where ever available, but then like to also decorate them better when they were in generic two colour stenciled boxes like a lot from Derann were. Strangely enough, some of the most expensive ones, Die Hard, Terminator, Speed etc etc.
These, i feel, deserve at least a full glossy Technicolor Box minimum.

I like to use 1200ft ones as you know Hugh, but features that come to me with their original leads and tails in tact, I will not cut nowadays.
That's where these original styled Derann card feature boxes would come in extremely handy for me now.
Hopefully one or two others feel the same and then perhaps we can set about getting some made.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:26 pm | Top

#9 by Paul Browning , Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:39 pm

I Checked CHC earlier on box availability, 600ft, white box is £1.00, so it would cost £5.00 for a simulated feature box for say a Disney or a Die Hard feature plus p/p. I wonder
if Phil could get them made for us from his supplier ?. Worth an ask I think. As to Hugh's idea, what great idea that is, tins do get used for other things, nut bolts and screws etc,
but I would very happy to eat the contents and re use the tin. Looks like i'll taking the tape measure with me to the supermarket next time, well done that man.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:35 am

Phil's boxes are too flimsy Paul. They are made from the least thick card of any 600ft box I've seen.
I have had some from Kevin before, and won't be buying anymore.
He also didn't seem interested when I approached the subject of other sized boxes for films in the past.

Also regarding the 600ft singles from Phil, they are fully logo'd up in green on the front face so cannot cover easily when using your own art.
To me, those boxes aren't even an option.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:37 am | Top

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:02 pm

I can appreciate your wanting to keep uniformity Andrew, nothing wrong with that, maybe it could be an idea to "decant" another
title from its box to enable continuity in your Disney collection. Thanks also for those kind words you fellows, here are some
examples of what I mean, a coat of Hammerite and a label, you lads are more adept than I, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Attached pictures:
P1040773.JPG   P1040774.JPG   P1040775.JPG  

Paul Browning likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:12 pm

This is what you begin with on the left and the finished article, just in need of a label. The other pics show my favourite type of case, the Noris, with clear plastic lid to display your box art, and inside too. Anyway, for the larger boxes for your 1200's, perhaps a scout
around the least likely places, like kitchen ware containers or a ceramics factory where large flat boxes might be used in packing large plates etc. I know the late Tony Churcher used to put his large spools in what looked like pizza boxes, they were for sale too, I didn't care much for them, but better than nought I suppose.

Attached pictures:
P1040776.JPG   P1040777.JPG   P1040778.JPG  

Paul Browning likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#13 by Paul Browning , Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:16 pm

They look fine Hugh, the square one's would be easier to store on shelves I guess. If you were lucky enough to find a round tin the correct diameter that would be a bonus
, other than that if it fell off your shelf you would be chasing it down the road "like the plank".

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#14 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:16 pm

I hope not Paul, its the A66! Anyway, my favourite of the card boxes, and the most durable, are the two piece ones used by Derann
in their early years for their std 8mm features etc, Dave Ollerearnshaw once asked about them, here is an example, forty odd years
on and they are still good. Have you and Andrew considered the large boxes used by the likes of Kodak for photo paper etc.

Attached pictures:
P1040779.JPG   P1040780.JPG  

Hugh Thompson Scott

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:29 pm

Much more durable than cardboard Hugh, that's for sure. I had never seen those early Derann boxes until now. I never collected Standard 8mm by the time I discovered Derann first time around so this is a first thanks Hugh!

Andrew Woodcock

#16 by Mats Abelli , Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:56 pm

That kind of cardbord boxes can be made at home by a handy person. I made some in my teens, when original boxes were missing. I believe a local office supply store can sell the needed cardbord.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#17 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:51 am

I've done a bit of searching, the "Derann" type two lid box is available 9x9 15mm deep at £12.00 for five up to 100 for £130.00 post free.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#18 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:34 pm

There are clear plastic covers 12x12, actual size is 310mm x 335 x 25 which should accommodate the 1200' spool okay. Prices range from
£2.74 to 16.00 for five, from different companies.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:35 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Do you ever wsh that ...

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor