Mickeys Christmas Carol & The Small One Reviews (1x 600ft Col / Stereo Derann)

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:56 pm

The Original post for this topic was growing so long, I thought it best to start an extension to it!
Well done to Tom for adding his superb screen shots to the pack. I hope others also add to the collection. It's a great subject matter to log here and will be one we will all be able to fondly look back on at this time of the year as the years roll by.

Next up here, one of my all time favourite Super 8mm prints...ever! Mickey's Christmas Carol.
Anyone who has ever owned or even seen a print of this, knows only too well, that this is also another of those benchmark type prints by which we tend to gauge all others. A simply superb release from the Disney / Derann partnership on one 600ft spool and lasting a tad over 25 minutes.

A Christmas classic of the highest order on Super 8mm.

Mats Abelli likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:44 am | Top

RE: Christmas films on 8 (ptII)

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:48 pm

And a few more till the end of this wonderful Christmas film!

One of the things I love about this film, is the way the credits dissolve into and out of the moving footage at the beginning and again at the end. Pure magic this film!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:14 pm | Top

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:47 pm

Envy :-) Looks great. Really want Mickey's Christmas Carols, but seem to elude me or be too expensive for me

Great screenshots all

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#4 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:41 am

Beautiful pics, no need to buy it, Andrew has captured this little film so well, not a Disney fan myself, but can see why these films
are so loved, the early stuff had lovely artwork. Stunning.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:44 am

Not quite every frame Hugh, and nowhere near as good as watching it! Ha ha ha.

A must have Christmas film for any Super 8mm fan if one crops up.
A real showpiece.

I hope you find one Vidar at a reasonable price to you. They do surface every once in a while. Just try and buy it out of season, the price tends to be far less then.

Mickey's Christmas Carol is a fairly recent production by their hand drawn animated standards. Made only in 1983 it was released as a relaunch of the company after their Mid to late 70's relative slump in their recent releases.
Only a few titles during this period were really up to their usual very high standards. Notably the Rescuers (incl Down Under) & The Fox & The Hound being at least two or three exceptions.
What came afterwards feature wise, as we know now, were some of their most treasured productions still to this day.
The early 90's saw Aladdin and Beauty & The Beast to name but two examples of such.

The cover artwork was good throughout I'd say on the Disney releases, Hugh.
Much better than most all other Derann features. I think they seemed to place greater emphasis on the artwork attached to their 2x 600ft abridged features than they ever seemed to do with their top titled features. Strange really?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:28 pm | Top

#6 by Paul Browning , Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks for the upload Andrew, I had no idea what this was, but now that's all clear. I have just acquired this along with a couple more features from the same guy, in
fact he added it for free as a Christmas gift, because I bought a few films off him, I doubt now that i'll get them before the Christmas madness but I don't really mind.

Mats Abelli likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:25 pm

Getting this film for free Paul, is fantastic acquisition no matter what else you purchased! Very well played Paul.

A very famous Derann release Paul right at the very beginning of the Disney contract.
I am really surprised to hear you didn't know of it beforehand.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:39 am | Top

#8 by Paul Browning , Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:26 pm

I've only recently bought some Disney films, and not a big fan to be honest, I doubt whether I would have purchased this if asked, but it was not mentioned by the seller until
the last minute, and a welcome addition to the other films, but your excellent uploaded screenshots will probably reinforce my keeping it.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:51 am

I wouldn't have thought you could ever be disappointed Paul if yours arrives in top shape. It is most definitely a keeper and something of a historical release by Derann along with Mermaid.

Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:08 pm

I was very actively looking for Mickey's Christmas Carol a few years ago but was outbid every time, usually by only about a pound. The most frustrating occasion was when one seller revised from AUCTIION to BUY NOW during the auction timeframe with an incredibly good BUY NOW price of 65 quid. Someone bought it five seconds before me.

Jonathan Trevithick

#11 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:10 pm

Ps great screen shots, Andrew!

Jonathan Trevithick

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:16 pm

More to come tomorrow hopefully Jon, thanks.
Wish I could post a few minutes of video for you pal, it may do as a quick fix until you're well enough to get off the pc and get among your films and projectors again!

Andrew Woodcock

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:21 pm

Happy Christmas to you also, whoever I may be speaking to?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:00 pm | Top

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:51 pm

It is indeed.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:00 pm | Top

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Today I screened another two Christmas Classics, this time the Derann 600ft releases of The Snowman and The Small One.
Another two gems for this time of the year and both titles very very repeatable. Lovely prints these.

here are some screen shots from The Small One. One of Don Bluth's final masterpieces while working still for Disney in 1978.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:52 pm | Top

#16 by Jonathan Trevithick ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:10 pm

That's a very good colour print of The Small One,
Andrew.Don't think i'll be watching The Snowman this year. I will save it for next Xmas!

Jonathan Trevithick

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:37 pm

I take it you don't like the Snowman Jonathan?

Andrew Woodcock

#18 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:27 am

Myself, I will give the '51 classic "Scrooge" a rerun, this being the third in twenty years of so, the rest will be horror, Universal
and Gothic, there'll only be me seeing 'em, TV is the usual festive crap. Folllowed by the DVD Ghost Stories and "Schalken the Painter"
done by the BBC, but terrifying, just right for the season.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#19 by Cinematograph ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:47 am

Nice pictures Andrew.

The Snowman is another of those very special Super 8 releases as unlike those round things sold in todays shops this 8mm print retains its original opening audio sequence voiced by Raymond Briggs. Raymonds introduction to his film was only retained for 1 year being replaced by David Bowie in 83 for some reason, I think Mel Smith even had a go at it as well but its great thanks to Derann to have this very early Channel 4 television print on Super 8. Many of you will have fond thoughts of projecting this decades ago as well I am sure.

Cinematograph

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:54 am

It is a wonderful little film production IMHO and I will hopefully get around to posting some shots on here later on. We are all becoming very busy now at this time of the year.

Andrew Woodcock

#21 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Just to say, on this little classic on 8mm, you owe it all to Keith Wilton and Dale Hemmenway, ( a Derann employee) who tormented
Derek Simmonds, ( as I did with Sinbad ) on an 8mm release of the "Snowman" film, to these two gentlemen, we owe the release, as
Derek who did listen, thanks be to the Three Wise Men.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:10 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
The Columbia releases of Jason & Sinbad

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor