RE: Christmas films on 8

#26 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:46 pm

Hugh,I have no advise whatsoever regarding your second point there, apart from perhaps a cold shower may help Hugh.
As for screenshots, the secret is 25fps, 2 blade shutter, video it ( doesn't have to be anything special in today's world), then use VLC to capture stills from the captured video footage (so to speak I hasten to add!)

Andrew Woodcock

#27 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:52 pm

Only kidding btw Tom. I'm sure you look like Tom Cruise to your missus under that mistletoe!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:52 pm | Top

#28 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:55 pm

Andrew, I am already at a loss, I have little or no patience with digital, it just annoys me at best. Cold showers our lads were well used
to on site, but the "naughty films" went down a treat, even our boss attended showings, Christmas will never be the same for me, I loved
my gang, my mates, a lot of them gone forever, but Christmas is not the same for this old horse.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#29 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:08 pm

VLC is just a free downloadable video software that you can then select as your prefered choice of video player on your pc rather than say Windows media player for example.

While you are playing back your video movie of your film you just click on the video tab at the top of the window and one of the options is snapshot.
Use this while pausing the video and you are able to capture just the right sharp shots you're after from your moving cine footage.

It's good and its free as well as also being very simple to use.
As said no 12mp camera is needed, just something better than you'd get from a lucky bag.

Your stills by the way default to your pictures folder on your pc. You can then drag and drop them to your desk top or even a ready made folder for each particular film if you like.

.........................................................................................................

It's real shame we all grow older, things change and our pals of old fall by the wayside for many many different reasons.
Youth really is wasted on the young. We'd appreciate it a whole lot more now we're old and grey.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:11 pm | Top

#30 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:08 pm

Tom appears to be a big lad Andrew, he obviously ate all his oranges ( post war ), his lass would notice the crick in her back
getting down to Cruise' height, and he's not a bad looking lad, No Tom, just an observation, I'm not that way.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:09 pm | Top

#31 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:10 pm

Ah, we do digress on here, don't we?
We've gone from the innocent pastime of talking Christmas favourite cine films to Tom Cruise's manhood size! Ha ha ha.

Hopefully someone now will reign in all of this all of this frivolity and return us all back to topic again.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:20 pm | Top

#32 by Tom Photiou , Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:18 pm

Tom Cruise? tommy cooper i think, my only little success to getting the screenshots is a silly one but it tends to work,
just hold the camera ready to snap but just wait until there is a part of the film where there is nothing moving, hehe, sounds stupid but its the only way i can get genuine images from the film and as much in focus as possible, hence why most of my screenshots are either titles or people in conversation.
i shall next present my next christmas shots from rupert and the frog chorus & whatever else i fancy at the time.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#33 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:20 pm

Will they be in the nude?

Hugh Thompson Scott

#34 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:23 pm

Maybe not then Hugh ha ha. Now go get yourself that cold shower! Lmfao.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:23 pm | Top

#35 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:33 pm

Sorry Graham, I've only just noticed your excellent comments on Madagascar.

I've got two prints of this film. One is definitely an earlier "first run" print than the other. The second one does have one or two white negative wear lines through it for a few seconds in places but the earlier one mentioned is perfect. Nothing of note at all on that one.

I don't know precisely how many were made but you can definitely see the difference between an early one rather than a later one.

I think we all know of the infamous seller BTW Graham one way or another. A cine man through and through.

Good luck with the bidding Graham!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:35 pm | Top

#36 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:51 pm

No Andrew, I just mentioned Tom, our Tom, appeared to be a big chap, as opposed to Cruise. Lets be honest here, any viewings
of Christmas film will be alone.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:52 pm | Top

#37 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:24 am

Point I make is this, we watch these films, not with an audience, but usually alone, my audience was a bunch of lads, who liked
a naughty film, loved a cartoon, this was a treat at this time of year, nowadays, it'll be just us, I will hazard a guess, the shows
are singular. folks have moved on, sorry to be brutal, but I have no doubt it is true, folks have better things to do rather than
sit through shows however short, that's how it is boy's. Our time has gone, like Christmas past, downloads of all this stuff is there,
we are old hat.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#38 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:41 am

Very True Hugh. Luckily, it doesn't detract us all from enjoying these any the less. Certainly not me, that's for sure.

Andrew Woodcock

#39 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:06 pm

Works canteen for the kids Christmas party. David Browns. Food, santa,s present. And a 16mm film show of cartoons How I miss them. When UK had GREAT Britain. And people cared.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#40 by Tom Photiou , Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:51 pm

Hugh that is spot on, i am watching alone as my wifey works in Truro and basically is home at weekends only, (some say ideal ) but not always.
However, Thursdays is movie night with my Brother, he comes around and its all evening showings, i generally watch something each night even if only a short.
Tonight though was another short Christmas show for me, first up was
Advert reel 9???? Christmas?? Yep, it has two ads for Christmas, The Heineken partridge in a pear tree where the bird is blasted out of the sky, as he falls you hear the can crack open as does his Heineken parachute, with Dean Martin's voice singing, The other advert is not so much a Christmas ad but is for John Smiths Bitter but the music is Jona Lewie's Stop the cavalry with all the words changed for the ad but i believe Jona Lewie did sing the song, if he didn't its the best impersonation I've heard.
Followed by Rupert & the Frog Chorus. A great little 400 footer, not the best of sound but more than fine for this release. Its a perfect candidate for re-recording if i could get it done.

I shall be viewing some more soon, among others. Now i have got get my hands on a home alone trailer.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 12.09.2015 | Top

#41 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:01 pm

Superb screenshots Tom and thanks a bunch for posting them!

Very sharp colourful print you have there. A great keeper for sure.

Different circumstances, but similar outcome for our two screening cravings Tom.

You have a shift working travelling wife, my missus is a local worker and thankfully home every day, but on the other hand, I'm often in work day or night, just as she finishes hers.
The outcome is much the same, loads of free time to watch or work on our film collections as well as our machines!

Happy days in many respects.

I certainly wouldn't want ever to go back to being a Monday to Friday dayworker anymore, now the kids are all grown up.
I couldn't stomach the traffic where we live for one!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:04 pm | Top

#42 by Bill Parsons , Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Nice screenshots Tom, who released “Rupert” on super 8 ?

Bill Parsons  
Bill Parsons
Date registered 10.07.2015
home: Brookland, Kent, Uk
ThankYou 23

#43 by Tom Photiou , Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:11 pm

Very true Andy,
Bill this one was put out for a short run by Phil at CHC. Its a great print, when i first bought it as a new print i had to give it two lubrications to get it to run through properly, at first i thought i had a very duff print due to the terrible wow and flutter but now it runs fine.
The print as stated is excellent, the ending is abrupt but then goes into the full two minute end titles.
The sound is what i think Mr Wilton would call a B/A- At the start there is some bumps and things but these do clear, the music sequence has excellent sound whilst prior to this it is a little low, luckily i put it all through a superb but old pioneer amp.

Bill Parsons sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#44 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:12 pm

Gotta be Derann? I'm sure it is

Andrew Woodcock

#45 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:49 pm

Wow really surprised by that one Tom as I was sure I'd seen it somewhere in a Derann sales list???
Maybe I have, but a used list perhaps. Must check through them again when I'm off.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:14 pm | Top

#46 by Graham Sinden , Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:01 am

Rupert is definately a CHC print. I also have a feeling it is also
edited a little in the middle as well when I compared to the original which is a shame but phil had to keep the cost down. Great yo have on 8

Graham S

Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#47 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:50 am

Thanks for confirming that one Graham. You're right also, it's another great little film to have in our collections like some of his later pixar shorts are like Partly Cloudy etc.

Just going back to The Madagascar Penguins Christmas Caper again for a second. It is worthy to note, given that people generally feel that £65 is a high price to pay for this one, that the film is 11 minutes long and therefore is around 300ft long rather than typically what cartoons are (200ft).

These were issued in generic boring white card 400ft boxes on a 400ft spool which of course is too big really for this film.

I remounted mine onto an old Piccolo spool and box I had and created this for it in it's blister pack as the German Piccolo range of cartoons were generally much longer than ours and mounted to the perfect 300ft spools that were hard to find both in the UK and US on plastic.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:56 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
DOESN'T ONES HEAD GET SORE......

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor