WHAT MAKES US DO IT

#1 by Paul Barker , Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:30 pm

now this may have been covered before. but just what makes us love. dabble. play. use. admire. .etc real film and film projectors when we all know that with todays technology that it can give such amazing picture quality. yet something within us makes us stay with real film and the equipment to show it on. is it nostalgia or what.

Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

RE: WHAT MAKES US DO IT

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:45 pm

The magic. It is no such feel in digital. Everything from projector running to the magical images on the screen. Fixing films. Sterile; cold images of digital lacks the soul of film

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#3 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Simple ... We are all CRAZY !!!! hahahahahahahhhahahahaha !!!!!!!!!!!

The following members like this: Mats Abelli, Paul Browning and Paul Barker
David Hardy

#4 by Paul Browning , Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:09 pm

For me Paul, its having a list of wanted films on a list you hope to some day complete. Modern day technology allows you to get anything at the press of a button, and the
"D" projectors are a costly expense when the lamp goes, if you can get a lamp that is !!!!. Film has a magic for me that will never fade ( pardon the pun), its like fishing in some
ways, I can get them from the market if I look hard enough, but some choose to sit by a river and catch them, no I don't know why either, but they do, and there is still plenty
doing it.

Paul Barker likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#5 by Paul Barker , Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:39 pm

i myself like both. but real film and projectors i just cant get away from. god knows i have tried so hard in the past. even after being let down badly by one particular dealer. yet i still return to real film. i think its a craving for the past ,in a way with me. well one of the reasons anyway.

Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Digital as I've said many many times, is as near perfection nowadays as we could ever have imagined years ago.

The wife's a big Chelsea fan, I'm a big City fan. We have had our pj on all day watching the days events unfold. I cannot ever get over the sheer quality of the images it places on screen with a Blu Ray disc. Simply staggeringly beautiful and sharp and very precise colours.

So what do I reach for each and every day I have free time to myself, surely the digital pj?

Not on your Nelly!!

No way can anything come close to watching and using real film in a real film projector. It simply has a magic all of its own despite all the expense, stress and heartache at times it puts us all through.

A bit like the women in our lives, high maintenance, but we wouldn't swap them for anything in the world!! Ha ha ha

Once bitten, smitten forever!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:33 pm | Top

#7 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:31 am

For me its partly habit , partly nostalgia and a fascination with moving things.
A bit like my fascination with steam locomotives and their moving parts.
Also the fact that you can hold the film look up to the light and see a photographic image therein.
Oh those wonderful framed pictures frozen in time and space and waiting for life and animation.
The projectors become living things when in use and a joy to watch in action.
The "Unmentionables" is just sterile and uninvolving and simply not really tangible for me.

Mats Abelli likes this
David Hardy
Last edited Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:34 am | Top

#8 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:39 am

Another reason is that I cant stand the stress and strain of pressing a couple of buttons on
a player and video projector and loading a silver disc. Too much effort for me and not good
for my heart condition.

David Hardy

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:40 am

It's true to say "they" do the business, but as I've also always said, it's hardly a hobby now is it when you consider the time, effort and devotion we put into collecting, cleaning, splicing, spooling,re housing and 're recording work we all have to do to make a film worthy for presentation in many many cases.

One is just a casual and easy way to show a film, the other is a devoted hobby dedicated to the preservation of now, historical works of art and equipment.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:44 am | Top

#10 by Nigel Higgins , Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:45 pm

First of all i must say thank you for accepting me on the forum ,for me this hobby is all about the real deal of real film ,i was away from the hobby for many years but now have returned for good and although i find that prices for good 8mm films (derann) etc are just going through the roof i have now become a 16mm collector which i find much more easy to deal with as more films are available and its easier for me to work with ,but i just love the the whole experience of looking at the film ,holding that spool ,watching it go round and repairing films and projectors if need be ,and of course when you buy a film that not quite knowing the condition and everything i could go on...i do buy and sell but i do it to make the hobby work for me ,lastly im so glad no talk of the digital on here as i really hate it ,i did buy a digital projector but i hate the experience so much i just want to throw it in the bin a bit harsh i know,so it just sits on a shelf never to be used or maybe one day i will sell it ,so long live this hobby and keep collecting as you can never have enough films .

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Gwyn Morgan
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Nigel Higgins
Date registered 12.06.2015
home: haverhill
ThankYou 14

Last edited 12.06.2015 | Top

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:07 pm

You and Vidar will get along like a house on fire with talk like that Nigel! Ha ha ha

Andrew Woodcock

#12 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:40 pm

For me it always has been that beam of light,the light tainted in the past by the cigarette smoke.Theres nothing like seeing that beam giving that image on the screen and the gentle pur ring of the projector.
Also it's fun trying to explain your hobby to the ones who have no idea that there is such a thing as film📽📽📽📽📽

The following members like this: Clyde Miles, Paul Barker and Vidar Olavesen

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 275

#13 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:01 pm

I agree with all the comments made, to me, its something to do with those old ads that David Hardy kindly put up from "Famous
Monsters" etc, it might go deeper still, like shadow puppets on a wall as entertainment, it is more like we are the showman, the
man in charge of all the weird machinery that entertains an audience. Whatever, who cares, we like it, as do the audience. As our
forum states "REEL MAGIC".

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Fumeo 9119

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor