Chinon Sound 9000

#1 by Jacob Delaney , Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:20 am

There's a Chinon 9000 optical & magnetic sound projector on Ebay for $230. Has anyone used one of these? I've read as much as I could from other forums but some people were saying Chinons weren't very good and might even cause damage to film due to their cheapness. I also heard they were one of the best sounding optical sound projectors and the few who did have them thought they were good. How much should I pay for this? it looks like it could be brand new due to having the box and foam still intact so it might be a good deal. How rare are optical sound projectors? I hope not as much as optical sound films.

This is the only optical sound projector on Ebay right now so do you think I could find a better deal on another even better projector or are these pretty much how much I'm going to be paying for an optical projector? It's mainly going to be for optical and new prints only so I might just keep using my B&H Filmosound for my regular magnetic stuff and possibly upgrade that at a later time.

Jacob Delaney  
Jacob Delaney
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA
ThankYou 2

RE: Chinon Sound 9000

#2 by Alan Rik , Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:20 am

I have used this machine and many other Chinon's. My experience is that they are harsh on film and pretty much every Chinon that I have used has been that way. But.. I have heard other members that like this particular model and the 9500 as well. They do have nice features.
That price if in good working condition is a good price. If you are looking at other projectors an Elmo ST1200HD with Optical will be pretty good and they are very solid machines. You just have to make sure they are in good working order with the belts nice and taut! Great picture, good light output, good optical and 1200ft film capability. A good ST1200 would be my choice.

Jacob Delaney sais Thank You!
Alan Rik  
Alan Rik
Date registered 11.15.2015
ThankYou 14

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:20 am

And if you are really serious about showing your films on Super 8mm in both Magnetic and Optical sound, then Phil at CHC has a Fumeo 9119 for sale, fully serviced apparently.

Not cheap, but unlike many other optical sound solutions, this one guarantees the safe handling of your expensive feature films while at the same time, allows you to show many full feature length prints in one solo run by using 2200 or 2400ft reels.

By far the best solution all round for Super 8mm Optical sound films, for those with the money.

Jacob Delaney sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:25 am | Top

#4 by Jacob Delaney , Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:56 pm

2000ft reels would be great! Where is CHC? I don't want to be paying more for an 8mm projector than I paid for 35mm and 16mm machines (>$500).

Jacob Delaney  
Jacob Delaney
ThankYou 2

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:23 pm

Yes unfortunately Jacob, Classic Home Cinema is based in Cleethorpes here in the UK and it would cost you considerably more than $500 U.S.
More like £850 sadly, but one of the all time great Super 8mm machines which apparently are more than robust enough, to last a lifetime.

At least with these, you only buy once!

A chap from the U.S. also registered with us here, paid a similar amount for one from Paul foster here in the UK not so long ago.
He was delighted with his machine apparently!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:14 pm | Top

#6 by Jacob Delaney , Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:41 pm

I figured it would be. I'm sure it's worth that much but I would never pay more than a couple hundred dollars on a Super 8mm machine. I was thinking that Chinon was pushing it. It's sad that I can get a really nice 35mm machine for under $100 (or even free) and for a good Super 8 I would have to sell all my machines to get. If the market was much bigger and they made more of them I'm sure they wouldn't be as rare and be cheaper by now. I think I got my B&H Filmosound for $8.

Jacob Delaney  
Jacob Delaney
ThankYou 2

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:09 pm

The problem with Super 8mm over all the other gauges, is the films and equipment are far more popular for home cinema use than all others, with the exception of digital projection systems of course, and as such, the very best equipment and films still commands premium prices unfortunately.
Prices that quite possibly, will only ever increase as the clock ticks on and top notch film and equipment becomes far more scarce.

Be wary of certain manufacturers of Super 8mm equipment. Quite the opposite to the best out there, they are little more than cheap toy imitations of the machines that do the job professionally.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:15 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
perfect projector

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor