gels for film projection

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:40 pm

Just a few shots of a faded print and same print with gels, it can make a lot of difference in a viewing
experience by removing the fiery reds and restoring some colour.

Attached pictures:
P1020822.JPG   P1020823.JPG   P1020831.JPG   P1020832.JPG   P1020860.JPG   P1020861.JPG  

Hugh Thompson Scott

RE: gels for film projection

#2 by Deleted User , Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:46 pm

Looks a lot better with the gels to restore some colour.

Saw some gels on eBay

Regards
Tony

Tony Laing

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:12 pm

They are great, see that last picture is quite good. Are these the blue cyan ones or the green? I feel the blues usually gives better results than the green

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#4 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:27 pm

Hi Vidar, it is a combo of blue and yellow, in some cases I use a green as well. I've made a selection box of different strengths
and combinations depending on fade on film. The shots are not perfect as I am still getting to grips with digital pics, I won't
call it photography, that is hallowed ground to lots of folk, but exposure could be better. In using gels, its a simple matter of
remembering the YCM of Technicolor, you must have yellow and blue when only reddish tones are left to bring a semblance of balance.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#5 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:54 pm

YCM? Is that yellow cyan magenta?

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 62

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:16 pm

it will be, but no shortage of Magenta to begin with! Certainly no need to ever provide a supplement with aging colour cine film.

Andrew Woodcock

#7 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:39 pm

Are all films created like this? Magenta first, yellow second and then blue? Because I have a 16mm of an old Tony Curtis film and it's faded to blue, not red. I actually got two of this and they're both blue

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064688/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_65

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

Last edited 10.31.2015 | Top

#8 by Paul Browning , Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:56 pm

You can get them from your local disco hire shop or theatre hire shop. Not so popular now but these outlets stock lee filter and roscoe filter gels for the par cans in theatres
in large sheet format, but they have a small filter swatch book of all the range in colours and patterns close to where the display will be for free. These are about 50mm x
25mm approx and will just cover a standard super 8mm lens but you could get two books for 16mm lens I guess. The colours go from almost neutral density colour right through
the colour range to full colour, so you get very pale yellow (straw ) to bright yellow, you can just add to or take away to get the best filtering to suit your film. The professional
range are diachroic glass filter which are about £10.00 or so for a small piece !!!!!, but these offer no fade colour effect and are better at transmitting light. The gels are good enough
for most film filtering because there is little or no direct heat to effect the centre colour of the gels.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#9 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:03 am

I recently ordered a gel set (and custom cap for my lens to hold them) for my 16 mm Kodak Pageant. There's a gentleman here in Ohio who makes these for 8,Super-8 & 16 mm projectors of all makes. I'm looking forward to my set arriving so I can test them out on my machine.

Douglas Warren

16mm / 35mm kinoton
Devry RS

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor